• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed obstruction is NEVER given nowadays. It's laughable when defenders push the man away from the ball instead of playing it to win a goal kick or throw in and the "short corner routine" to wa

Cat Fingering sounds proper dangerous. Even if the cat really likes you, I can't see it being upforit even in a tender fashion never mind aggressive.

Eyresie at stockport in the last minute for me.   Honourable mention for the Rushden player at BP.

Agreed obstruction is NEVER given nowadays.

It's laughable when defenders push the man away from the ball instead of playing it to win a goal kick or throw in and the "short corner routine" to waste time.

Just penalise the perpetrators every time and it'd disappear within a few weeks. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's laughable when defenders push the man away from the ball instead of playing it to win a goal kick or throw in and the "short corner routine" to waste time.

Just penalise the perpetrators every time and it'd disappear within a few weeks. 

Great point. The ball has to be within playing distance if you're shielding it but the officials don't apply it. They never seem to give foul throws either. Stray an eyelash offside however and VAR is on it like Barry on a free buffet. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agree.And the blatant holding at corners - does my head in. 

36 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Great point. The ball has to be within playing distance if you're shielding it but the officials don't apply it. They never seem to give foul throws either. Stray an eyelash offside however and VAR is on it like Barry on a free buffet. 

I remember a ref in Sunday league days who gave half a dozen foul throws every game but showed no interest in head high kung-fu tackles 

28 minutes ago, astottie said:

Mark Ward could take a free kick and I have a memory of him scoring from a distance out to the right. I'll try to check it. Marshall also hit one or two

Yes, Wardy scored a free kick from outside the corner of the penalty box in front of the Lookers. Near post, top corner!

Taylor knocked in a peach as well to complete a 4-3 comeback win early season.

David Eyres rifled in a beauty at home to league leaders Brighton around the 2001-02 season at the Chaddy end. Same game Bobby Zamora for sent off for a petulant kick.

I loved Shez's. They were always artfully despatched, never pinged. Knew exactly where the postage stamp was. One of my favourites was at home to Bristol Rovers, possibly that season where we stayed up on the final day at home to Reading. So important as it turned out to be decisive when we were getting desperate. Around March I'd virtually given up despite that win at Citeh in the middle of a wretched run of two months without a win. We turned it around against Bristol Rovers and won away at Wrexham (Mark Innes wondershow!) to arrest the slide. York must have been pig sick that season when we sent them down.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

Yes, Wardy scored a free kick from outside the corner of the penalty box in front of the Lookers. Near post, top corner!

Taylor knocked in a peach as well to complete a 4-3 comeback win early season.

The Taylor free kick was Millwall home first game of the season.  Really clever free kick. 3-1 down.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I loved Shez's. They were always artfully despatched, never pinged. Knew exactly where the postage stamp was. One of my favourites was at home to Bristol Rovers, possibly that season where we stayed up on the final day at home to Reading. So important as it turned out to be decisive when we were getting desperate. Around March I'd virtually given up despite that win at Citeh in the middle of a wretched run of two months without a win. We turned it around against Bristol Rovers and won away at Wrexham (Mark Innes wondershow!) to arrest the slide. York must have been pig sick that season when we sent them down.

Yes it was during the season when we beat Reading on the final day. Bristol Rovers had a strong side, which made the win even better.  IIRC Shez, rather wisely, took the free kick quickly before Bristol Rovers had lined up a proper wall as their players were still arguing with the ref about the free kick.

Edited by johnafoafc
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Oh look.... only a day later ....Everton given indirect free kick for Fulham playing the ball twice at a penalty.. Stupid defence 

The discussion was about indirect free kicks being given for obstruction. Everyone, including you knows that. Do you need attention (yes, I'm aware I'm providing some) that much?

31 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

The discussion was about indirect free kicks being given for obstruction. Everyone, including you knows that. Do you need attention (yes, I'm aware I'm providing some) that much?

No...the precious  self important author just needed to be reminded that he operates to the same rules of pedantry  as he likes to impose on others .......I was just doing what you have just done