Spectator sports free to resume inside and outside subject to capacity and distancing except tier 3

I know we have the mega thread but this is a stand alone issue.

It rather looks like we will be stuck playing behind closed doors whereas other teams in our league will be allowed home supporters when we play away.

To my mind it is all teams or none and I hope the EFL thinks so too.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Hands on said:

It rather looks like we will be stuck playing behind closed doors whereas other teams in our league will be allowed home supporters when we play away.

Don't worry, when the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds of this world start to kick up a fuss, the rules will be changed. 

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

Agreed. Fans can influence players and refs. at some grounds so it's not fair for all.

58 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Don't worry, when the Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds of this world start to kick up a fuss, the rules will be changed. 

Just heard a RFU official say that opening Twickenham for  a crowd below 25000 costs them money and they would rather play to empty stadiums.....United and Liverpool will be the same and will have no interest in a crowd of 4,000

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

I was thinking exactly the same when they announced it. It means clubs like Oldham and Rochdale will be massively disadvantaged. How on earth can this be right? They'll get all their match day income stream and we'll get nothing. 

32 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Just heard a RFU official say that opening Twickenham for  a crowd below 25000 costs them money and they would rather play to empty stadiums.....United and Liverpool will be the same and will have no interest in a crowd of 4,000

They have already sold season tickets which nearly fills the ground, they would ballot for the games, they want fans back in the ground. 

32 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I was thinking exactly the same when they announced it. It means clubs like Oldham and Rochdale will be massively disadvantaged. How on earth can this be right? They'll get all their match day income stream and we'll get nothing. 

Strictly speaking this isn't true. 

Clubs in tier 1 (and judging by what I've read today that will be fewer than pre Lockdown II) can have 4000 fans, or 50% capacity, which ever is fewer. So Forest Green whose ground's capacity is 5147 can have 2573 fans. At FGRs last Saturday home game with fans they had 3136.

In Tier 2 it's 2000 fans or 50% capacity, so for League 2 it's 2000 fans (as every ground needs a capacity of 5000). Only Macclesfield had an average gate less than 2000 (1998) last season. 

The additional costs for allowing fans may mean it is cheaper for some clubs to remain shut than have 4000 or 2000 fans in. 

FGR and Carlisle both participated in the pilot to allow fans in earlier in the year. I think Carlisle may have ended up in Tier 3 by the start of Lockdown II. 

I think it will only be those clubs in rural areas who will be in Tier 1. I know Exeter who were in Tier 1 pre-lockdown II will almost certainly end up in Tier 2 at best. 

Just now, deyres42 said:

Who's arsed about 'fairness', we should just be pleased that supporters are being allowed back into events and hopefully life can continue to return to some normality.

I am bit more cynical than that....it appears from reading between the lines that most areas are going to be tier 2 minimum and the crowd announcement is just smoke and mirrors

In essence what will come into force on 3 Dec is just lockdown rebranded 

11 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

yes now have we got 4000 fans who will pay to attend home games that is different question 

4000 potential  ticket sales less the few that already have season tickets if capacity is not affected by the North Stand Issue

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

Mark Palios was on TV at the weekend berating the EFL for lack of ideas and leadership. So I dont hold out any hope there.

Latics fan just been on 5Live with a (I think) Colchester fan. Supposed to be talking about whether or not it was fair having crowds at some grounds and not others. They barely touched on that topic, Nicky Campbell spent more time talking about how the Colchester fan had missed seeing Irene at matches. 

Ok difficult one this I think particularly as we will no doubt be in tier 3.

However I'm sure that once we are free to reopen under tier 1 restrictions we would sell out whatever we were allowed, due to their being so much pent up demand from all football fans just desperate to get to a live game. 

May even get a few lapsed fans who have gone over to City or United attending as little chance for them to go until stadiums can be full again.

Roll on I say as summet is better than nowt!

50 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Ok difficult one this I think particularly as we will no doubt be in tier 3.

However I'm sure that once we are free to reopen under tier 1 restrictions we would sell out whatever we were allowed, due to their being so much pent up demand from all football fans just desperate to get to a live game. 

May even get a few lapsed fans who have gone over to City or United attending as little chance for them to go until stadiums can be full again.

Roll on I say as summet is better that nowt!

I'm looking forward to getting to away matches. This is my first season of not buying a season ticket to try and help remove our toxic regime. With fans allowed in, it'll feel like I'm properly boycotting. 

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

Latics fan just been on 5Live with a (I think) Colchester fan. Supposed to be talking about whether or not it was fair having crowds at some grounds and not others. They barely touched on that topic, Nicky Campbell spent more time talking about how the Colchester fan had missed seeing Irene at matches. 

Yep they southerners are hailing the announcement as good news...Rugby Union crowds back , village pub open, Michelin restaurants back..........as for going to away games. I doubt it will be possible , presumably they will be all ticket with proof of address needed. ...unless of course we can get a game away at Las Palmas....Schapps is happy for us to go there but snipers will be deployed to stop us going FGR 

3 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Latics fan just been on 5Live with a (I think) Colchester fan. Supposed to be talking about whether or not it was fair having crowds at some grounds and not others. They barely touched on that topic, Nicky Campbell spent more time talking about how the Colchester fan had missed seeing Irene at matches

😮

Sorry for being ignorant, but who is Irene? Is she related to Elaine (was it Elaine?) in Accounts?

Archived