MATCH: Tranmere

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Surely HK realises the midfield is too lightweight and will be bullied my many teams in this division, especially at home where the opposition tend to steam roller them.

HK should be pressing MO for a couple of players in January as priority.

As for right back why isn't Jambotti given a chance there as it's his first choice position?

bc MO says pick Fage and Fage is doing ok anyway. Regards the midfield, it's Ntambwes job to get about and break stuff up. You were moaning about his yesterday saying his passing wasn't good enough. If it was, he wouldn't be here. The opposition had better all round players than us yesterday, we already knew that.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s infuriating because we are close to a good side, but missing players in vital positions. Wheater up against Vaughan would have been a lot more effective than Diarra. 

Didn’t Wheater play in a side that finished 17th last season? 

I don’t remember being wowed by him at any stage. . and certainly not as a leader. Not fit to lace Clarke’s boots in that respect. 

Now that’s a player I do wish they wouldn’t have pissed off. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Didn’t Wheater play in a side that finished 17th last season? 

I don’t remember being wowed by him at any stage. . and certainly not as a leader. Not fit to lace Clarke’s boots in that respect. 

Now that’s a player I do wish they wouldn’t have pissed off. 

1.54 goals conceded per (league) game last season

1.87 this...

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough.

What is progress then?

Top half? Top 7? 

For a team relegated from L1 after so many seasons there - itself hardly a golden era - surely the bare minimum for defining progress must be challenging for the play-offs. I doubt we are that good, sadly. But it wouldn't surprise me if we won at Cambridge on Saturday.

The header by Garrity on 13 minutes from Rowe's cross maybe was crucial. If that goes in, we have the rarity of an early lead and, who knows, a different game. But it missed by a whisker and by all accounts (I didn't see the game) Garrity went on to have a poor match.

Lawlor on crosses worries me, I think it's a weak spot in his game and I also wonder if he doesn't have the confidence to come for them when he should, or if he's being told to stay on his line.

Lawlor just doesn't want to come for crosses. His parent club gave him permission to play against us bc they thought they could pick up 3pts by putting all corners and free kicks into the six yard box at pace. Nearly worked but didn't and he made two class saves in the match, maybe three cba remembering. I reckon, if given the space, he would sumersault and attack crosses with his feet.

I thought the cross for Tranmere's goal was a really good cross. 

Swung nicely and perfect distance between the goalkeeper and defence to make it difficult to know who is best to commit.

The bigger issue was ball watching and leaving Vaughan unmarked.

I'm not sure Lawlor is that much worse than other keepers at this level at crosses, and better than average at shot stopping.

45 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

1.54 goals conceded per (league) game last season

1.87 this...

I make it 0.9 conceded per league game last season when Piergianni and Wheater played together.

(Have not included the 4 conceded after Wheater sent off at Exeter or 2 vs Crawley after Wheater was subbed).

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Based on what bruv?

I was asked what I would consider progress to be. For the clowns to demonstrate real progress then we'd have to be comfortably mid table in League one. For now that level of competitiveness (competing for promotion) in this dog shit league would be a start. 

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

bc MO says pick Fage and Fage is doing ok anyway. Regards the midfield, it's Ntambwes job to get about and break stuff up. You were moaning about his yesterday saying his passing wasn't good enough. If it was, he wouldn't be here. The opposition had better all round players than us yesterday, we already knew that.

Ntwambe, Diarra, DKD and Garrity can go now for me.

Fage offers pace and enthusiasm, but little else.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Lawlor just doesn't want to come for crosses. His parent club gave him permission to play against us bc they thought they could pick up 3pts by putting all corners and free kicks into the six yard box at pace. Nearly worked but didn't and he made two class saves in the match, maybe three cba remembering. I reckon, if given the space, he would sumersault and attack crosses with his feet.

Maybe the loanee keeper will be given a chance? Looked ok in the one game he had.

6 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

The concensus is that the defence is crying out for the experience of Wheater. He's willing to play but ALMO’s intransigence is preventing that.

Oy, I got told off by <a OWTB poster> for bringing that up. Behave. :tongue1:

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Yes! Our answer to Rene "Scorpion" Higuita.

I don’t get the love in for Wheater. 

He played a lot of games last season in a side that lost a lot more than they won, and that ultimately finished in the bottom 5. Was he amazing while the rest were shit- no. Also, the games I saw he showed no leadership, and played like he didn’t really give a toss either way. 

Archived