MATCH: Tranmere

42 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t get the love in for Wheater. 

He played a lot of games last season in a side that lost a lot more than they won, and that ultimately finished in the bottom 5. Was he amazing while the rest were shit- no. Also, the games I saw he showed no leadership, and played like he didn’t really give a toss either way. 

Do you not think he would walk into this side? 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Do you not think he would walk into this side? 

Honestly Mike - no. 

I don’t think his heart is in it anymore, he looked liked he was going through the motions when he played for us last year and he certainly didn’t lead in a Clarke/Gerrard type way- which is a massive reason for wanting somebody of his experience in the side. 

He’s probably still has the ability, but without the drive it’s not worth a wank. 

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Wheater is a different type of leader, he’s very popular with all the player, English and French. Clarke was a good captain yes, but different ways people can be leaders. 

Of course-players can lead by example rather than being a big talker. But again, I didn’t see that either IMO.  So we’re left with him being popular- which as nice as it is- doesn’t win football matches. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course-players can lead by example rather than being a big talker. But again, I didn’t see that either IMO.  So we’re left with him being popular- which as nice as it is- doesn’t win football matches. 

Agree to disagree, you won’t get many better centre half’s at this level than him. Yet the clowns won’t put him in the squad. 

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Honestly Mike - no. 

I don’t think his heart is in it anymore, he looked liked he was going through the motions when he played for us last year and he certainly didn’t lead in a Clarke/Gerrard type way- which is a massive reason for wanting somebody of his experience in the side. 

He’s probably still has the ability, but without the drive it’s not worth a wank. 

I think it is possibly time to draw a line under the whole Wheater thing.  Be useful to have him in the squad definitely, but not a game changer by any stretch.  Neither is Peter Clarke.

It's midfield where we're desperately short of quality...

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

I think it is possibly time to draw a line under the whole Wheater thing.  Be useful to have him in the squad definitely, but not a game changer by any stretch.  Neither is Peter Clarke.

It's midfield where we're desperately short of quality...

Agree with your general point about Wheater and the midfield. 

I’d still have Clarke in our side in a heartbeat. 

5 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I make it 0.9 conceded per league game last season when Piergianni and Wheater played together.

(Have not included the 4 conceded after Wheater sent off at Exeter or 2 vs Crawley after Wheater was subbed).

Thanks. I couldn't be arsed.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Honestly Mike - no. 

You wouldn't play him, I would. Just our opinions. It would be nice if the head coach had the option. 

14 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Your post made some valid points but you went and ruined it with your final sentence 🙄

I see this quite often - ‘I could be wrong’ or ‘I hope I’m wrong’ ... talk about stating the bleeding obvious...

So either you’re not totally convinced of validity of the points you make or you’re adding the statement to show that you really do care...

Either way it’s a cop out in my opinion. 

Oh... and welcome to the forum btw 😉

Yep, you’ve rumbled me, I’m afraid I really do care, and gave myself away with the ill advised last sentence.

it’s a vain hope that a strategy of filling 75% of the squad with Never Was’s and Never Will Be’s, and marginalising all the most experienced players because they have a higher worth and understand this, would ever work, but I still wish it did.

Thank you for the welcome too, I like it here.

11 hours ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Yep, you’ve rumbled me, I’m afraid I really do care, and gave myself away with the ill advised last sentence.

it’s a vain hope that a strategy of filling 75% of the squad with Never Was’s and Never Will Be’s, and marginalising all the most experienced players because they have a higher worth and understand this, would ever work, but I still wish it did.

Thank you for the welcome too, I like it here.

👍

On 12/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, deyres42 said:

Not really sure what Keillor is bringing to the party, doesn't seem to do anything particularly well, at least Grant has a bit of quality about him if not the legs.

DKD takes a decent corner.

But so does Grant - he should have come off the bench on Tues when DKD was subbed.

50 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

DKD takes a decent corner.

But so does Grant - he should have come off the bench on Tues when DKD was subbed.

I do n't think DKD did as badly as others have said. Grant should have come on for Fage. He buys free kicks, which could have got us a goal.

11 hours ago, planetarydeadlock said:

doesn't your owner basically refuse to even consider 'experienced leaders/pros' even though they'd obviously help your young but potentially decent team? 

Pretty much, experienced players with advice that might help do too much damage to his ego.

16 hours ago, al_bro said:

I do n't think DKD did as badly as others have said. Grant should have come on for Fage. He buys free kicks, which could have got us a goal.

I've thought that DKD was a useful part of our midfield playing centrally for our away wins.  He pressed our opponents at speed, intercepted them and allowed us to counter attack quickly.

The trouble is, to be really good in that role, he's the basic ability to be able to pass the ball.  Which he doesn't possess.

The Man With Three Surnames is one of the worst passers of the ball I have ever seen as a pro. Garrity runs him close, not sure how we are getting away w playing two players around the CM area who can't pass.

'Get out there lads and run about a lot. Constantly give the ball away and miss easy chances, but keep running about a lot.'

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

The Man With Three Surnames is one of the worst passers of the ball I have ever seen as a pro. Garrity runs him close, not sure how we are getting away w playing two players around the CM area who can't pass.

'Get out there lads and run about a lot. Constantly give the ball away and miss easy chances, but keep running about a lot.'

the pass map from the game - highlights clearly that D.Keillor-Dunn, D.Fage and D.Rowe had off nights...

I can't see that on my fone but I wouldn't argue. I'm turning a blind eye a bit to Fage bc he's a left footed midfielder doing ok at RB and he hasn't done a comedy fall for about 100mins. Unless I was away at the fridge when he last did it, in which case gutted I missed it 😂

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I can't see that on my fone but I wouldn't argue. I'm turning a blind eye a bit to Fage bc he's a left footed midfielder doing ok at RB and he hasn't done a comedy fall for about 100mins. Unless I was away at the fridge when he last did it, in which case gutted I missed it 😂

Don't think I've seen him using his left foot much.

Normally when he mis-controls it it's with his right foot !!

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Don't think I've seen him using his left foot much.

Normally when he mis-controls it it's with his right foot !!

Entirely possible I formed an incorrect first impression two years ago or whenever it was. My subconscious will take this msg on board and check accordingly!!

Archived