A blow for Mo?

I think we need to be careful what we wish for here.

Should clubs be limited to who they can sign from overseas, will this not create a shortage of players? 

It is not just our club that signs players from abroad, but many other clubs also.

A shortage of players could lead to either a drop in the standard of players available, but also an increase in the financial demands of the players that are.

Yes we have signed some poor players in recent times, but that has always been the case regardless of nationality.

As Boyinthesnow points out, we have Bahamboula, who is a very good signing and someone we miss when he is not available, Tuesday night being a good example.

A gem that will be hard to find if the players available are reduced. We do not have the luxury of vast resources that the larger clubs have, football is an uneven playing field in terms of resources available to many clubs, I feel it is about to get even harder.

16 minutes ago, hillside blue said:

Should clubs be limited to who they can sign from overseas, will this not create a shortage of players? 

It is not just our club that signs players from abroad, but many other clubs also.

A shortage of players could lead to either a drop in the standard of players available, but also an increase in the financial demands of the players that are.

Yes we have signed some poor players in recent times, but that has always been the case regardless of nationality.

As Boyinthesnow points out, we have Bahamboula, who is a very good signing and someone we miss when he is not available, Tuesday night being a good example.

A gem that will be hard to find if the players available are reduced. We do not have the luxury of vast resources that the larger clubs have, football is an uneven playing field in terms of resources available to many clubs, I feel it is about to get even harder.

Or youth team players being developed and brought through. 

1 hour ago, hillside blue said:

We have largest football pyramid anywhere in the world. Hundreds upon  hundreds get released every year without getting fixed up. In a country that is football mad and with a population of 60 million, I don’t think player availability will ever be an issue. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

We have largest football pyramid anywhere in the world. Hundreds upon  hundreds get released every year without getting fixed up. In a country that is football mad and with a population of 60 million, I don’t think player availability will ever be an issue. 

England managed ok before the EU.

6 minutes ago, singe said:

Except those 4 defeats to to Hungary.

Most teams have their time, we did in the late 80s/90s.

Alas like Hungary they may never be repeated.

But we can always hope.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

But we can always hope.

The current England squad has a lot of top quality players. I am still to be convinced that Southgate is the right man for the job though. Injuries have played a part in him being unable to play a settled side but he does need to find the right goalkeeper, central defensive partnership and someone to play the number 10 role. On that final requirement, fwiw, I would give Harry Kane a go...😎

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The current England squad has a lot of top quality players. I am still to be convinced that Southgate is the right man for the job though. Injuries have played a part in him being unable to play a settled side but he does need to find the right goalkeeper, central defensive partnership and someone to play the number 10 role. On that final requirement, fwiw, I would give Harry Kane a go...😎

And if South American Grealish would be the first name on the team sheet.

Whereas Southgate will probably drop him from his plans after one off day. 

There is huge potential in what is still a very young England squad. We are world class at U17/U18 level and maybe that is starting to come through to the senior squad.

My faith in Southgate has wavered of late but I think we should stick with him through to the next World Cup. I would drop Pickford, tell Sterling to work on his shooting (rather than scuffing it to the goalkeeper) and if we could find a midfield ball-winner like Kante in his prime that would be a huge boost. I agree with BP that Grealish must start every game. Rice and Dier are not international class for me.

Archived