MATCH: Cambridge

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/4/2020 at 1:52 PM, andy_b_100 said:

Dare we dream for 3 points ? who will he pick ? will snow stop play? 

We dare to dream!

17 shots to their 8, no arguments who deserved the points today.  Good to see us going for chances instead of trying to score the perfect goal.

I'm really surprised Cambridge are near the top on that showing, they look much less dangerous than other sides we've played. Can't see them up there at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

6 straight away wins confirmed!

Great news

Anyone want to give any reasons why we are so amazing away compared to being at home? Or is it just one of those things?

Style of play. Away from home they have less possession and teams come at them leaving gaps. At home the initiative is on the home team to break down the opposition 

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Style of play. Away from home they have less possession and teams come at them leaving gaps. At home the initiative is on the home team to break down the opposition 

which is abit strange when you consider our strength is in our attack we have the forwards to breakdown an opposition.

What I saw last week was a team who are to use  current coaching buzzwords "Good in transition" and when we counter attack we get men forward quickly. It seems to be paying off.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

which is abit strange when you consider our strength is in our attack we have the forwards to breakdown an opposition.

What I saw last week was a team who are to use  current coaching buzzwords "Good in transition" and when we counter attack we get men forward quickly. It seems to be paying off.

I really don't get this home/away strategy or mentality in an empty stadium...which it wasn't today, I know and which probably went against Cambridge as it did in their game during the week, funnily enough. The stats show lesser possession and greater shots and corners which does suggest good counter-attacking.

19 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

6 straight away wins confirmed!

Great news

Anyone want to give any reasons why we are so amazing away compared to being at home? Or is it just one of those things?

We're set up to counter attack teams very well, but not to break teams down who sit in, like Tranmere did on Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yeah, transition is definitely the right term. We've got good attackers, but there's not really anyone in that midfield who can unlock a well organised defence. I'm not really sure how you change it; possibly play Rowe in the hole behind a couple of strikers?

McCalmont has progressed leaps and bounds since he arrived. I was beginning to write him off but after a sheepish start I think it’s dawned on him that he will ultimately become a better player than those he plays with/against and now plays with confidence.

8 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

McCalmont has progressed leaps and bounds since he arrived. I was beginning to write him off but after a sheepish start I think it’s dawned on him that he will ultimately become a better player than those he plays with/against and now plays with confidence.

Agree with this. I thought he was a lost cause after his first few matches, unsuited to lower league football.  But he's clearly adapting.

I'd still like to see him stick his boot in more though.

8 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

The best of our midfield, we definitely need a bit more steel in there though, there were times in the 1st half when they went missing. Better sides (I know it's a shit division) would have punished us. Great result though and the Cambridge commentary team were fair in their appraisal that we came and played the game and deserved the win. 

Just now, SweeperKeeper said:

Definitely.  Let's just hope we extend Clarke's loan so that he doesn't get put in the middle again after New Year.

I cant think of any reason why Arsenal wouldn't leave him here. I think we're looking after him pretty well and he's obviously coming on.

Just now, League one forever said:

Imagine how much better we’d be with a midfielder who can keep possession under pressure and dictate the play- especially at home. 

It’s absolute must in January if we’re going to kick on. 

Could do with scoring first in a home game. Someone will get a battering.

Hard to pick out any individual performances. We tend to lose as a team and win as a team. 

Starting to like these players and how Kewell can get them playing - we develop an effective home strategy and the only way is up..

Archived