Sunderland, Bradford and Walsall (H)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

On your last point do you mean the bit about how AL convinced him to join? I thought that had been talked about openly?

There are different types of leaders. The whole situation is a tricky one as none of us know what has actually happened behind the scenes so we’re all guessing. But there’s a collective responsibility between AL, Mo, Kewell and Wheater to get him on the pitch or off the wage bill.

I believe a fit and firing Wheater would be a massive asset, and could really cement our form and help us kick on so it’s a shame it hasn’t been resolved. 

I didn’t know AL had talked about it- but with his track record I would be sceptical to the least. 

I agree about involve him or move him on.  Doing nobody any good the current situation. 

I think another fan probably has it right- I don’t think his heart was in the move to begin with, and then not helped by coming into a shit show. In short the move hasn’t worked out. He’s been largely poor for us, but that doesn’t mean he won’t show his quality somewhere else. Which knowing our luck is exactly what will happen. 

7 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

We are not the only club who has this kind of issue.

Sunderland who we play Tues picked Aiden McGeady on Sat-his first game for them in 13 months after being frozen out by Parkinson. You can bet he is on a damn sight more money than Wheater. 

Parkinson was the manager. I'm fine with managers deciding who to pick. 

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

I disagree. He had three quarters of a season before any problems- then covid hit and the disagreement over his pay started. Where was the happy David Wheater before Covid? Where is his personal and professional responsibility?? My guess is, he signed a relatively lucrative contract, a contract he is happy to apply when the situation suits him. (Fair enough) But then very quickly he thought ‘this is a shit show’ and downed tools.  Well, I’ll tell you what you Dave, how about you get your head down, enjoy your 4/5 bags a week and give it your all. But no, he just went through the motions on the pitch. 

In terms of his treatment. Neither you or I can honestly answer that can we? We have no idea what went on. What will say is- both Wheater and Rowe had disagreements over pay. Rowe has found a way back in but Wheater hasn’t. Maybe one showed the right attitude, and one didn’t. 

Given the owners form, and known pay issues before Covid, you don't have to be Poirot to work out that there is a bit of chicken and egg to Wheater's form. I find it hard to believe the owner kept well away the entire 3/4 of a season. It has undoubtedly affected our defence form, so needs to be sorted. It seemed like Clarke (Jnr) was the owners solution but he doesn't have a great record with experience League pro's who seem to get the measure of him. We are still crying out for one in defence and in midfield.

21 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'm a bit torn about the Sunderland game.  I agree that the competition doesn't deserve our respect and all things being equal I'd want us to give fringe players and youngsters game time, but with £20k up for grabs for a win I think the club will take it more seriously.

It would also be nice to get one over on Johnson too.  😏

In his prematch Kewell indicates that he will be rotating his squad to give some players a rest and others game time.

Clarke is cup-tied so Piergianni will come back in after his one game suspension. I would also expect Hamer to start as he needs game time. Lawlor has been playing well but it might be an idea to give Bilboe a run out. (Though after his performance in the ‘Xmas wrap the football competition’ I’m not so sure...)

Keep a few of our current first choice and add in one or two other fringe players and maybe a Yoof or two.

i think that it is important to compete tonight but the league games are coming thick and fast and that is where we should be focusing.

Finally - the weather forecast for this evenings early kickoff (6pm) is very cold and heavy rain... that should liven things up 😮

15 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

"Sunderland's EFL Trophy tie at Oldham will be an 'extended training session', says Lee Johnson"

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderlands-efl-trophy-tie-oldham

“No disrespect to Oldham or the game, but also for us it's almost an extended training schedule to really bed in the principles that we're trying to get across really quickly to the players."

😳

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

“No disrespect to Oldham or the game, but also for us it's almost an extended training schedule to really bed in the principles that we're trying to get across really quickly to the players."

😳

I think he means Bomb Alley. 

25 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

😳

I hope HK pins that on the dressing room wall and instructs his players to take them to the cleaners. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

😳

Surprised he’s come out with that, he’s been in the game long enough. 

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t understand the apathy to this competition, ok the early rounds are non descriptive. But they’re relatively lucrative. It’s very conceivable a good run brings in more than most fa cups runs at our level. Plus with a fair wind it’s our only realistic chance of a trophy. 

Because it's demeaning playing in a competition with youth teams from the second division? And that's ignoring the damage it is potentially doing as a backdoor to a wider undermining of the pyramid. 

I did enjoy it in its former guise. The current one is an abomination so the blood money is of little relevance in the grand scheme of things (clearly the hierarchy will feel otherwise).

3 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Because it's demeaning playing in a competition with youth teams from the second division? And that's ignoring the damage it is potentially doing as a backdoor to a wider undermining of the pyramid. 

I did enjoy it in its former guise. The current one is an abomination so the blood money is of little relevance in the grand scheme of things (clearly the hierarchy will feel otherwise).

That's exactly where I'm at, previously it was a pleasant distraction that you felt we could perhaps win. I'm sure we could still have a chance of winning it but the underlying reasons make me despise it. 

34 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

It’s only demeaning if you’re living off past glory.  We are a small tinpot club who need the money. (I hate that, but that’s the reality) Will you take the blood money to sign a midfielder in Jan- that could help us climb the league? 

21 hours ago, nzlatic said:

He didn’t start great last season, but did form a decent partnership with Piergianni from Jan onwards which saw our defensive stats improve. 

This is a good point.  At the start of the season, his centre back partner was either Iacovitti, Hamer or Sefil.

I mean come on, you're never going to look your best next to those three, trying to do the job of two players at once.

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s only demeaning if you’re living off past glory.  We are a small tinpot club who need the money. (I hate that, but that’s the reality) Will you take the blood money to sign a midfielder in Jan- that could help us climb the league? 

Rubbish. I started supporting us in April 1994. I've no past glory to live off. We're a professional Football League team being demanded to play against youth teams.

There was no need to restructure the competition. The clubs took the cash for short term reasons, which I understand, but that is why there is apathy - indeed antipathy- towards the competition (from me, anyway).

4 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Rubbish. I started supporting us in April 1994. I've no past glory to live off. We're a professional Football League team being demanded to play against youth teams.

There was no need to restructure the competition. The clubs took the cash for short term reasons, which I understand, but that is why there is apathy - indeed antipathy- towards the competition (from me, anyway).

You say you understand the need for cash, but then cut off a revenue stream. You know as well I do how many ‘professional football league teams’ are living hand to mouth just as they were before the change. That’s without mentioning Covid. 

Would you rather play- 

Carlisle 

Barrow

Tranmere 

In the first three rounds, and earn next to nothing. 

or 

Carlisle

Barrow

Leicester B

And potentially earn £50k? 20k for taking part and 10k a win in the group stage alone. (Something we have done this season) 

In our current situation- I’ll take the cash over pride any day of the week. 

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You say you understand the need for cash, but then cut off a revenue stream. You know as well I do how many ‘professional football league teams’ are living hand to mouth just as they were before the change. That’s without mentioning Covid. 

Would you rather play- 

Carlisle 

Barrow

Tranmere 

In the first three rounds, and earn next to nothing. 

or 

Carlisle

Barrow

Leicester B

And potentially earn £50k? 20k for taking part and 10k a win in the group stage alone. (Something we have done this season) 

In our current situation- I’ll take the cash over pride any day of the week. 

As I say, I get the other side of the coin, but I watch football for reasons other than wanting my club to earn money for winning a game. 

I'm not saying it's not in and of itself an opportunity for the club to make cash. In the long run they may end up worse off, but whether they do or they don't it doesn't make the game or the tournament any more appetising.

Archived