Sunderland, Bradford and Walsall (H)

1 minute ago, jsslatic said:

As I say, I get the other side of the coin, but I watch football for reasons other than wanting my club to earn money for winning a game. 

I'm not saying it's not in and of itself an opportunity for the club to make cash. In the long run they may end up worse off, but whether they do or they don't it doesn't make the game or the tournament any more appetising.

Yeah, fair enough. It doesn’t particularly excite me, but I can off set that with another player or two in January. It’s a means to an end, but it doesn’t make the actual game more appealing. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:
Out muscled yet again by a big strong side, while we continue to  play weaklings.

I don't get the point of mentioning that in every game then copying it onto additional threads when there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it during said games. 

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about this abomination of a competition. I missed the commentary tonight (I'm buggered if I'd pay a tenner to watch it) and wasn't the slightest bit bothered.

As has been said already, it was OK in its previous guise(s), but it has been ruined by bringing in top flight U21/23 teams. Do they really need this competition to give their yoofs a run out? Somehow, I think they could manage quite well without it. 

IIRC, didn't some bright spark at the EFL/FA/Premier League say it would give younger players a chance to develop and, in so doing, help the national team? That theory has worked well, hasn't it?

Another side to this, too. We have a severely truncated season, with matches crammed in to a much shorter space of time. Surely to God, with an increased risk of injury playing so many games so quickly, would it really have hurt to have scrapped it, at least for one season?

There are those that say it can earn us some money and, so far, we have gained a few bob. But, if and when fans are back, it actually costs money to stage these games where, in many cases, a few hundred turn up.

Yes, I want to see Latics winning games, but I'm not in the least upset that we're out of this one. There are more important matches to concentrate on. Anyway, anyone excited by the prospect of a potential Final between, say, Wolves and Leicester U21s? What a riveting spectacle that would be.

9 hours ago, mickjagger said:

I personally think we got out muscled yet again by a big side, will we not learn from this?

Just curious as to how we ‘learn’ from this? Genuine question.

Looking at the whole squad, it seems to me that we have a couple of ‘big’ guys in Piergianni and Ntambwe. A few others, Bahamboula, Borthwick-Jackson and Rowe are able to compete when faced with physically stronger opponents. 

Are you suggesting that we change our recruitment policy and bring in a team of bruisers? 

I agree that Whelan, Barnett and DKD do struggle against bigger opponents. However McAleny and McCalmont seem to cope pretty well.

Mark Twain once said: ‘ Its not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog’ 

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Looking at the whole squad, it seems to me that we have a couple of ‘big’ guys in Piergianni and Ntambwe. A few others, Bahamboula, Borthwick-Jackson and Rowe are able to compete when faced with physically stronger opponents. 

Are you suggesting that we change our recruitment policy and bring in a team of bruisers? 

I agree that Whelan, Barnett and DKD do struggle against bigger opponents. However McAleny and McCalmont seem to cope pretty well.

Mark Twain once said: ‘ Its not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog’ 

It's the lightweight midfield that's the problem. Need a McCann type.

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We do, but McCann isn’t a ball winner who breaks up play. Which is what your lightweight tag implies. For me we need both. 

With a McCann type in midfield we might not be needing to win the ball back as often. 

It's not really about size, it's more about strength.  Strength to win the ball off the opposition but also strength to keep possession under pressure.  Or if you don't have strength, then nouse can do the job just as well.  We are lacking a bit in all those things in midfield.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

It's not really about size, it's more about strength.  Strength to win the ball off the opposition but also strength to keep possession under pressure.  Or if you don't have strength, then nouse can do the job just as well.  We are lacking a bit in all those things in midfield.

Strength and tenacity. Whelan needs to beef up and get stuck in. Billy Urmson would've sorted him out. 

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Unsure about Mark Twain the opposition who are strong they must think they are playing against Shania Twain hence we cannot compete.

Archived