MATCH: vs Bradford City (H) 12/12/20

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, astottie said:

Yep but can't remember who. Also Sheffield United sacked Billy Mcewan after the 5-0 , Grimsby sacked Alan Buckley after the 6-0 and Sunderland sacked Lawrie Mc. There a long list of them As disjointed says losing to Latics is the final disgrace. 

Was at Bramall Lane for the 5-0 all the more remarkable given our terrible record there.

1 hour ago, petera1 said:

Was at Bramall Lane for the 5-0 all the more remarkable given our terrible record there.

Me too. I nearly didnt go as I'm sure it was news year day and I was still hammered and not feeling well.

We'd just started to turn the corner that season. I think Mcewen was sacked before we got home.

2 minutes ago, astottie said:

Me too. I nearly didnt go as I'm sure it was news year day and I was still hammered and not feeling well.

We'd just started to turn the corner that season. I think Mcewen was sacked before we got home.

Oh heck just read it was January 2nd 1988. I must have been worse than I remember! 

On 12/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Very flattering scoreline but good to get that monkey off the back. Still think he needs to change system at home, a better team than Bradford would've beat us comfortably today I think. 

Edit: probably a bit harsh actually. But it was all a bit disjointed 

It doesn't matter what system they play if they can't string passes together. That was an awful football match. The difference between the two sides was that we are capable of scoring goals. Donaldson has gone completely. He's a fraction of the player he used to be. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

It doesn't matter what system they play if they can't string passes together. That was an awful football match. The difference between the two sides was that we are capable of scoring goals. Donaldson has gone completely. He's a fraction of the player he used to be. 

If that was an awful football match then you should probably take up tiddlywinks... 😳

As always with Latics I'm never relaxed unless 2 up with 2 minutes  left.

Thought Bradford kept going and had their chances. Just pleased how we are scoring lots of goals but not happy  leaking too many soft self inflicted goals

It’s makes a refreshing change to be scoring goals after the barren years of shite we’ve endured!

Conceding soft goals looks like something we’ll probably have to put up with until at least January. 

It’s not ideal, but for now, as long as we consistently manage to score at least one more than the opposition I’m more than happy! 😆😆

• Matt unfeatured this topic
46 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Pass completion 63% 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

That statistic confirms what was very evident during the game and  is a very poor percentage completion rate. Hopefully it’s something that Kewell and Maybury will work on in training as giving the ball away just invites pressure. 

Garrity especially was guilty of just flicking the ball aimlessly 10 or 15 yards when, with a little composure, a team mate could have been found to set up a counter attack. I've no problem with any player clearing the ball out of harm's way but moving it a few yards is just transferring the problem.

Garrity is a bit of an enigma. He gets about the pitch well and on Saturday put in a few saving defensive covering tackles as well as popping up in the opposition box but his passing most of the time is woeful. Same applies to Keillor-Dunn. He's energetic and showed against Bradford his forte for running with the ball at the opposition but his distribution is abysmal.

To get the best out of these two they must concentrate on the things they do adequately, even though passing to your own players is quite a big part of the game. 

22 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Garrity especially was guilty of just flicking the ball aimlessly 10 or 15 yards when, with a little composure, a team mate could have been found to set up a counter attack. I've no problem with any player clearing the ball out of harm's way but moving it a few yards is just transferring the problem.

Garrity is a bit of an enigma. He gets about the pitch well and on Saturday put in a few saving defensive covering tackles as well as popping up in the opposition box but his passing most of the time is woeful. Same applies to Keillor-Dunn. He's energetic and showed against Bradford his forte for running with the ball at the opposition but his distribution is abysmal.

To get the best out of these two they must concentrate on the things they do adequately, even though passing to your own players is quite a big part of the game. 

This for me. 

Mind you Garrity’s ‘assist’ for the Bahamboula goal was a perfectly weighted pass 😀

Funny that Bradford took off the biggest guy on the pitch after less than 30 minutes. We looked like we had run out of a bit of steam for the last 10 minutes, Bradford hadn't played in midweek which must have been a factor. Just happy to see us win at home . Tuesday will be tough against Well TALL.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Something Fane never achieved but plenty seem to still rate him on here.

There's no doubt he struggled finding a team mate who wasn't within touching distance but his drive and athleticism was sorely missed and could have made all the difference to the season's outcome.

22 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Alongside Jack he kept it simple

He surely did-what's this round thing? I will just punt it somewhere if it doesn't go under my foot. As for heading it-not a chance.

50 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

There's no doubt he struggled finding a team mate who wasn't within touching distance but his drive and athleticism was sorely missed and could have made all the difference to the season's outcome.

If we had dropped/replaced him earlier there is every chance we would have finished higher.

4 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

If we had dropped/replaced him earlier there is every chance we would have finished higher.

Replaced him with who ?

I thought he did his job pretty well. His storming runs forward ( without much positive consequence admittedly ) and tackles got the crowd going at least and relieved pressure when things weren't going our way.

Archived