Littlewoods Cup Final 1990

One for the teenagers here. 

Something I’ve been looking at on Twitter this evening that’s got me wracking my brains from 30 years ago. 

The match shirt from the final, you know the one with ‘league cup final 1990’ embroidered under the embroidered club crest. Where these ever available to buy from the club shop? Either as a replica (with felt crest) or as match worn (embroidered)? 

Been a bit involved in that discussion, it's for the15 shirt. Does anyone know who it was?

12 was RP, 14 Gary Williams (I'd forgotten that)

15 & 16 didn't feature in the match, so cannot be match worn in the sense I think of it or would buy one but I guess technically it's OK. But were they on standby to be named IIRC an hour or over before the match.? Looking at the squad it could 15 & 16 have been someone like Wayne Heseltine or Scott McGarvey?

An even longer shot was that it seemed some of the back room staff on the bench wore the match shirts, though I doubt they were numbered. Was your Dad involved @rudemedic? Or have I misunderstood?

8 hours ago, singe said:

Been a bit involved in that discussion, it's for the15 shirt. Does anyone know who it was?

12 was RP, 14 Gary Williams (I'd forgotten that)

15 & 16 didn't feature in the match, so cannot be match worn in the sense I think of it or would buy one but I guess technically it's OK. But were they on standby to be named IIRC an hour or over before the match.? Looking at the squad it could 15 & 16 have been someone like Wayne Heseltine or Scott McGarvey?

An even longer shot was that it seemed some of the back room staff on the bench wore the match shirts, though I doubt they were numbered. Was your Dad involved @rudemedic? Or have I misunderstood?

Right, I’ve been speaking to someone very in the know today. 

Players & staff kept the shirts and they were issued two sets, one long and one short sleeved. GKs were issued two identical kits. Kits were numbered 1-18 with four blanks/spares or blood shirts. As we know, only 1-14 (excluding 13) were actually ‘matchworn’ , but staff changed into their shirts (John Terry stylee) for the medal ceremony and Ronnie Evans wore 15. 

They were never sold in the shop, but there was a limited edition run of 100 replicas sold, they had the felt embossed crest with embroidered ‘league cup final 1990’ underneath and the Bovis was unusually high up the shirt. Looks like that’s what’s on the link DS has posted. 

I’ll sleep easy in my bed tonight. Cheers. 

5 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Right, I’ve been speaking to someone very in the know today. 

Players & staff kept the shirts and they were issued two sets, one long and one short sleeved. GKs were issued two identical kits. Kits were numbered 1-18 with four blanks/spares or blood shirts. As we know, only 1-14 (excluding 13) were actually ‘matchworn’ , but staff changed into their shirts (John Terry stylee) for the medal ceremony and Ronnie Evans wore 15. 

They were never sold in the shop, but there was a limited edition run of 100 replicas sold, they had the felt embossed crest with embroidered ‘league cup final 1990’ underneath and the Bovis was unusually high up the shirt. Looks like that’s what’s on the link DS has posted. 

I’ll sleep easy in my bed tonight. Cheers. 

Brilliant, cheers. Really interesting insight. John Terry did cross my mind when I was looking at it!!

On 12/11/2020 at 8:45 AM, singe said:

Was your Dad involved @rudemedic? Or have I misunderstood?

As I think I recall him drinking bucks fizz at 7am, no. 

Although the mystery has been solved for the record:

Dr Kelso was the official club doctor, my Dad only covered for him if he was unavailable. One time my Dad covered for him was when Tony Henry, I think, got knocked out at BP. He would lend his expertise if needed at BP, but that only happened once as far as I know. 

4 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Dr Kelso was the official club doctor, my Dad only covered for him if he was unavailable. One time my Dad covered for him was when Tony Henry, I think, got knocked out at BP. He would lend his expertise if needed at BP, but that only happened once as far as I know. 

Ah cheers

7 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Dr Kelso was my GP. When I was about 13 I got my mum to take me to see him because I was worried I might be a dwarf. The man was a magician; I'm 6 foot 4 now... 😁 😂 I

Archived