MATCH: v Newport (A) 19/12/20

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Matt featured this topic

While it wasn't the best performance on Tuesday night (despite being an entertaining game) the only changes to the starting lineup that I'd make would be Rowe and Jombati for Grant and Fage, and seeing as they both could be injured I'd probably start with the same team. 

Fage is better and Hamer and while Grant won't be as good as Rowe through the middle he'd still be the best player available for the role.  He wasn't effective in midweek but I thought he did well against Cambridge and Bradford by being a foil for Bahamboula and McAleny to allow them to find space.

Don't forget your entries. 

https://owtb.digitl.agency/

So far I can see them from:

Gentleman - lose 3-2
hinchy - draw 2-2
JohnG123 - draw 2-2
Londonboy - lose 3-1
Dick_Valentine - lose 2-1
4oakslatic  - draw 1-1
Latics_Fanatic - win 2-1
SteveSidg  - win 3-2
Laticsbiffo - lose 2-1
youngen - lose 3-1
singe - lose 3-1
Latics and England - lose 3-0
Ryan - draw 2-2
Brisbaneblue - lose 3-1
LaticsPete  - draw 2-2
oafcmetty - lose 2-0

11 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

We were quite poor on Tuesday and yet we probably should have won on chances created.  I'm never quite sure if hitting the woodwork is unlucky or bad finishing.... commentators always say "so unlucky"... 

They always say 'saved by the woodwork' as if it's leapt out into the middle of the  goal.  Simple fact is if it hits the woodwork it's missed the target.  Bahamboula's double poster was a deflection so can argue that either way.  The two bar hits were bad misses in my book.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

They always say 'saved by the woodwork' as if it's leapt out into the middle of the  goal.  Simple fact is if it hits the woodwork it's missed the target.  Bahamboula's double poster was a deflection so can argue that either way.  The two bar hits were bad misses in my book.

Agreed.  Commentators shout "and it comes back off the post, soooo unlucky "... my sarcastic response (particularly when its United) is "Nope.. he missed!"

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Bad misses? Surely just a miss.

a bad miss is like one of the Bradford players who’s shot went onto the Chady end roof!

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Bad misses? Surely just a miss.

a bad miss is like one of the Bradford players who’s shot went onto the Chaddy end roof!

Both count the same...  I remember a teacher telling me that some years back when I walloped one in from 25 yards and he said it only counts the same as a tap in.  Miserable git!

21 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

How come you can find all the info on our injured players on the Newport OS  yet on our club site there is f*** all!

On our club site there is an interview with Harry Kewell in which the head coach gives an injury update. Badan is now back in training and looking strong, Jameson needs a couple of weeks, Blackwood has had a setback in his recovery. Meanwhile Danny Rowe is ‘close’ but then he was on Tuesday too...👀

Seek and ye shall find 😊

Newport tend to win at home by the odd goal and Latics away wins are similar. Stats point to another home win but based on our Away form, Newport are viewing this game as a potentially tricky one. 

One key key factor that should not be underestimated is the pitch at Rodney Parade.

Rodney Parade is the home ground of Dragons regional rugby union team and rugby union club Newport RFC. It is also the home ground of Newport County football club and as such is heavily used.

This may be a game for modifying our approach when playing out from the back. It may also be a game where certain players are better equipped to deal with the heavy playing surface. 

I hope that Rowe is fit and starts and maybe Jombati and Diarra will be considered. 

Its going to be a tough challenge today - let’s hope the players are up for it. 

59 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

One key key factor that should not be underestimated is the pitch at Rodney Parade.

Rodney Parade is the home ground of Dragons regional rugby union team and rugby union club Newport RFC. It is also the home ground of Newport County football club and as such is heavily used.

We've probably got the best pitch in the division at the moment at BP.

Remind us how that's worked out in terms of results at home?

Playing on a cabbage field might suit them.

A point from this one would be a decent result, I think. However, another Exeter or Cambridge result isn't entirely beyond us, but Harry's team selection is vital.

Starting with the likes of Keillor-Dunn, Garrity and Fage would probably see us steamrollered. So maybe Dearnley, Jombati and Diarra with Rowe, if fit, might just do it for us.

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We've probably got the best pitch in the division at the moment at BP.

Remind us how that's worked out in terms of results at home?

Playing on a cabbage field might suit them.

Probably the best pitch? It’s decent but there are others that ain’t too bad either; and it is smaller than some.

Also teams set up differently away from home which I think is more of a factor in our poor home form and good away displays.

We put in our better performances on decent playing surfaces away from home - but Newport are used to playing a certain way to exploit any advantage of their ‘cabbage field’ so we may need to tweak our approach somewhat.

Maybe Harry has had them out on ‘Little Wembley’ playing booming balls from the back. 

On another note - Hamer has not featured for some time which makes me wonder if he is showing anything on the training pitch? 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, oafcmetty said:

Gentleman - lose 3-2
hinchy - draw 2-2
JohnG123 - draw 2-2
Londonboy - lose 3-1
4oakslatic  - draw 1-1
Latics_Fanatic - win 2-1
SteveSidg  - win 3-2
Laticsbiffo - lose 2-1
youngen - lose 3-1
singe - lose 3-1
Ryan - draw 2-2
Brisbaneblue - lose 3-1
LaticsPete  - draw 2-2
oafcmetty - lose 2-0

Mines in.......hopefully 🤞

On 12/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, oafcmetty said:

Gentleman - lose 3-2
hinchy - draw 2-2
JohnG123 - draw 2-2
Londonboy - lose 3-1
4oakslatic  - draw 1-1
Latics_Fanatic - win 2-1
SteveSidg  - win 3-2
Laticsbiffo - lose 2-1
youngen - lose 3-1
singe - lose 3-1
Ryan - draw 2-2
Brisbaneblue - lose 3-1
LaticsPete  - draw 2-2
oafcmetty - lose 2-0

Additional from:

the_mighty_bosh - draw 2-2
oafc21  - lose 3-1
milnrow latics - win 3-1
hinchy - win 3-2
Nohairdontcare  - lose 3-1
mick26 - win 2-1
Dave_Og -  lose 3-1
laticsrblue - lose 4-2
tGWB - lose 2-1
astottie - win 2-1
oafcmetty - lose 2-0
disjointed - lose 3-2
pjkent  - win 3-2
rudemedic - lose 3-2
BP1960 - draw 1-1
Lawman - lose 3-0
alien - lose 2-1
GlossopLatic  - lose 3-1
aidan_latics - lose 2-1
Chaddyexile84  - draw 2-2
DavidCollinge - draw 0-0
futchers briefs - draw 1-1
dannyboy55555 - win 3-1
24hoursfromtulsehill  - lose 2-1
heatonmoorlatic - lose 2-1
Ex_pat - lose 3-1
oafcmad09 - win 2-1
nzlatic - lose 2-1
58074oakslatic  - lose 2-1

(haven't removed any edits, i.e there may be people who have two preds registered. Lowest in list (latest) counts)

Archived