January Transfer Window

Having read a few articles on how Brexit is going to effect football, it sounds like foreign players will have had to played a certain amount of games in what’s considered an ‘elite’ league/played international football for them to be given a work permit.

Lets hope the next group of National League cast-offs are better than the current crop, as the owner’s transfer market tactics may have been made a lot more difficult.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Perhaps the penny is starting to drop with HK. He mentioned lack of experience a few times in his post match interview.......

It might also be a clear message to Abdallah and Mo that we need experienced heads in the dressing room. They might not get them sell on fee and they might challenge the leadership a few times, but they will bring on the younger players and they will win you matches. The owner is going to have lose his aversion to experienced players if he wants progress. It was a huge mistake getting rid of McCann in the summer an even bigger one leaving Wheater to rot in the reserves when you still have to pay his wages (more goals conceded last night from balls into the box I see). It can be rectified this month I doubt we will do it though.

49 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Abdallah and Mo do not like experienced players. Their treatment of Clarke, Wheater, O'Grady, Coke, Gerrard, McCann, Eagles and Davies show that. Anyone willing to stand up for themselves is not welcome at Oldham Athletic under the current regime...

Clarke wheater I agree with you. Mccann ended up at a pub team so he's not exactly got the legs for league 2 so I've not understood this desperation for him to be with us. Someone in his mould yes. Him? No. Coke will never play football again because hes always injured. The rest of them didn't stand up to AL they where just d*&^s. And im not an AL supporter btw. Ogrady, Davies and eagles weren't good enough and they had a hissy fit about not playing. Gerrard was racist which you can't be full stop, especially when you have an ethnic owner who's paying your mortgage! Even Clarke and wheater, I was always waiting for clarkes legs to go, but he's proved me and everyone at the club wrong. Wheater I was critical of him asking for full wage when everyone in the country is losing pay, but now I feel if we paying him anyway we might aswell use him even if your getting rid.

*I might have a few details wrong but thats what I understand to be the issues with each one of them

59 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Clarke wheater I agree with you. Mccann ended up at a pub team so he's not exactly got the legs for league 2 so I've not understood this desperation for him to be with us. Someone in his mould yes. Him? No. Coke will never play football again because hes always injured. The rest of them didn't stand up to AL they where just d*&^s. And im not an AL supporter btw. Ogrady, Davies and eagles weren't good enough and they had a hissy fit about not playing. Gerrard was racist which you can't be full stop, especially when you have an ethnic owner who's paying your mortgage! Even Clarke and wheater, I was always waiting for clarkes legs to go, but he's proved me and everyone at the club wrong. Wheater I was critical of him asking for full wage when everyone in the country is losing pay, but now I feel if we paying him anyway we might aswell use him even if your getting rid.

*I might have a few details wrong but thats what I understand to be the issues with each one of them

It's not about the footballing merits of those players, it's about the pattern of treatment.  They weren't just let go, the majority of them were forced out, humiliated with the youths etc.

They don't want/like experienced players.  Probably because they have influence in the dressing room, with the coach/manager, with the fans etc.  And it's massively damaging to our chances of promotion.

9 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It's not about the footballing merits of those players, it's about the pattern of treatment.  They weren't just let go, the majority of them were forced out, humiliated with the youths etc.

They don't want/like experienced players.  Probably because they have influence in the dressing room, with the coach/manager, with the fans etc.  And it's massively damaging to our chances of promotion.

Absolutely agree nzlatic.  In fact they give these players reasonable contracts knowing that if things don’t work out, they will save money by bullying them into leaving. That way they don’t have to honour the contact that they signed to attract the players to Oldham. 

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Absolutely agree nzlatic.  In fact they give these players reasonable contracts knowing that if things don’t work out, they will save money by bullying them into leaving. That way they don’t have to honour the contact that they signed to attract the players to Oldham. 

This would make sense if in fact they did always move the player(s) on. But in Wheaters case they are still having to pay him basic wages. It's a waste of a players ability, a waste of owners money but they still keep doing it. Why?

15 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

This would make sense if in fact they did always move the player(s) on. But in Wheaters case they are still having to pay him basic wages. It's a waste of a players ability, a waste of owners money but they still keep doing it. Why?

Perhaps they don't compromise? 

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Perhaps they don't compromise? 

This is the problem in my opinion.  And I wouldn't be shocked if Rowe did all the compromising to get back in the team, rather than coming to a mutual agreement. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

This is the problem in my opinion.  And I wouldn't be shocked if Rowe did all the compromising to get back in the team, rather than coming to a mutual agreement. 

Danny Rowe, Carl Piergianni and Sido Jombati are all with the same agent LPM, run/owned by former Leicester full back Lee Philpott. You can see a conversation happening between Mo and Mr. Philpott which was mutually beneficial. i.e Mr. Philpott got Danny Rowe to back down in exchange for us taking on Sido Jombati. Because you can be sure as eggs is eggs that we haven't scouted Jombati & we know Dino didn't want him.

In fact, unless the Head Coach expressly requests a specific player, because he's worked with him before, or he's seem him play a few times and rates him, I doubt we do any/little scouting of the players we sign. Marco & Mo will simply rely on Agents bringing them players. It's why we get such a violent discrepancy between those that are any good, Bahamboula for example and utter dross like Sohny Sefil. If you'd scouted Sohny Sefil, you wouldn't want him.

This is why IMO we're fooked... because in order for Mo to put a decent squad together in a single season, he's gonna have to get very very lucky... because he's just not very good at his job.

42 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Danny Rowe, Carl Piergianni and Sido Jombati are all with the same agent LPM, run/owned by former Leicester full back Lee Philpott. You can see a conversation happening between Mo and Mr. Philpott which was mutually beneficial. i.e Mr. Philpott got Danny Rowe to back down in exchange for us taking on Sido Jombati. Because you can be sure as eggs is eggs that we haven't scouted Jombati & we know Dino didn't want him.

In fact, unless the Head Coach expressly requests a specific player, because he's worked with him before, or he's seem him play a few times and rates him, I doubt we do any/little scouting of the players we sign. Marco & Mo will simply rely on Agents bringing them players. It's why we get such a violent discrepancy between those that are any good, Bahamboula for example and utter dross like Sohny Sefil. If you'd scouted Sohny Sefil, you wouldn't want him.

This is why IMO we're fooked... because in order for Mo to put a decent squad together in a single season, he's gonna have to get very very lucky... because he's just not very good at his job.

Thanks.  Would also explain why all of the Mo-built squads look imbalanced and not properly thought out.

56 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I do believe this 100% however 

have you sources on this?

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

So in essence your thesis is that owners “ who won’t compromise”  agreed with an agent to sign a player so   that another of his players   would back down ? Sounds like a compromise to me ......and unlikely 

2 hours ago, Sheep Foot said:

So in essence your thesis is that owners “ who won’t compromise”  agreed with an agent to sign a player so   that another of his players   would back down ? Sounds like a compromise to me ......and unlikely 

Yes, it sounds like somebody has made up a scenario to include 'the facts' as he sees them.

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I do believe this 100% however 

have you sources on this?

4 hours ago, Sheep Foot said:

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Yes, it sounds like somebody has made up a scenario to include 'the facts' as he sees them.

Facts

- All 3 players are with the same agent.

- Dino didn't want Jombati.

- Rowe was one of the original players that wanted the club to top up the Furlough money. While Wheater and Woods were banished to the youth, Rowe's issue got resolved.

Educated guess (that is almost certainly correct)

- Mo knew fook all about Jombati.

Conjecture (that doesn't require Hercule Poirot's involvement)

- Lee Philpott was involved.

20 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Facts

- All 3 players are with the same agent.

- Dino didn't want Jombati.

- Rowe was one of the original players that wanted the club to top up the Furlough money. While Wheater and Woods were banished to the youth, Rowe's issue got resolved.

Educated guess (that is almost certainly correct)

- Mo knew fook all about Jombati.

Conjecture (that doesn't require Hercule Poirot's involvement)

- Lee Philpott was involved.

So it was a compromise ? 

Archived