January Transfer Window

5 minutes ago, hillside blue said:

It seemed a bit suspect him being out injured for that time before and over xmas, we have looked good when he played before he was injured, he has not looked quite the same since he came back.

Someone with his hold up play and his ability to lay the ball off would be difficult to replace at this level.

Certainly Blackwood is not up to it whenever he comes back and Grant who is struggling with Covid according to Kewell, struggled in that role.

Our best performances this season seem to have involved Rowe's inclusion in the team.

Agreed. We look far better with him in the side. . . Which probably means he’s off. 😩

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Rowe gone in this window. Have we an option on him for next season?

He’s never looked happy from day one and after the rumoured Covid shenanigans I reckon he’d be more than happy to be off ASAP!!
I should imagine AL would be equally happy if he went sooner and brought in a transfer fee!!

25 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Don't worry, Lookersstandandy will be along in a while and relate the whole conversation back to us. If there wasn't one he can make one up.

Even if he made the conversation up I can't imagine it was too far from the truth.

I don't know why it bothers you so much.

16 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Technically gifted players don't seem to fit in here, who's next?

Hope no one comes in for Bam or we're down.

Neither do players with strong characters.

Trying to build a team without either technically gifted players or strong characters and expecting any kind of success seems abit of a tall order.

Not confirmed yet but it's looking ominous at the moment...

Rowe, Dearnley and McAleny are the best strike force we've had (relative to our division) for a very long time, and it's hard to see that any of them will be here this time next season. 

It's depressing because we only need to tighten up at the back, by bringing in an experienced defender who can lead the team (I dunno, maybe the one on our books who's been in exile all season could do the job) we could have easily been pushing for the playoffs. 

We should be offering Rowe a 3 year deal, not looking to offload him. He's 30, not 35. It's not like he relies on blistering pace which will impair his ability in a few years. He relies on height and a very good technical ability (the way he can bring the ball down, turn and find a pass as well as having an eye for goal). He'll still have that for seasons to come. The fact he hasn't banged them in isn't because he's not good enough, it's because he's adopted a deeper role which has allowed quicker players like Dearnley and McAleny to get forward, and Rowe's done fantastically at being able to drop deep, holding the ball up whilst players around him advance forward allowing us to build an attack.

47 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Neither do players with strong characters.

Trying to build a team without either technically gifted players or strong characters and expecting any kind of success seems abit of a tall order.

Not confirmed yet but it's looking ominous at the moment...

Strong characters thing is quite indicative of where we are... I would imagine most successful teams have many strong characters in the squad, yet AL/ML seem to prefer their players meek and compliant.

He might not have been as prolific as McAleny this season, but we've looked a lot worse when he hasn't been there and we don't really have another striker in the squad who can play through the middle like he does.  Really struggling to see who we might be able to bring in who wouldn't be a downgrade.

If he does go...the Exeter away free kick is one of my favourite Latics goals so he'll have my thanks for that.  The Hampton and Bradford goals weren't too shabby either.

Archived