January Transfer Window

Our club continues to be dismantled piece by piece thanks to a succession of incompetent and deceitful owners and their greed and arrogance

People like Blitz, Corney, Lamsagam and his idiot brother should never be allowed to have control of local, community based clubs such as Oldham, football is being ruined by the combination of terrible owners and awful league oversight

I'm just about done with it tbh and the fact that our top striker leaving doesn't even merit its own thread seems to suggest that others feel the same 

There will probably be 2 teams poor enough to end up with a point less than us this season but it's hard to imagine a scenario where we aren't playing in the Conference in the next season or two

Keep the faith?....... please tell me in what or in who? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Our club continues to be dismantled piece by piece thanks to a succession of incompetent and deceitful owners and their greed and arrogance

People like Blitz, Corney, Lamsagam and his idiot brother should never be allowed to have control of local, community based clubs such as Oldham, football is being ruined by the combination of terrible owners and awful league oversight

I'm just about done with it tbh and the fact that our top striker leaving doesn't even merit its own thread seems to suggest that others feel the same 

There will probably be 2 teams poor enough to end up with a point less than us this season but it's hard to imagine a scenario where we aren't playing in the Conference in the next season or two

Keep the faith?....... please tell me in what or in who? 

“ Our top striker” Has MacAleny gone too......Rowe has scored 4 out of 36 ?     Where does this perception come from ?

7 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

“ Our top striker” Has MacAleny gone too......Rowe has scored 4 out of 36 ?     Where does this perception come from ?

Yep, sorry, my mistake. He was shite and we're better off without him

Blitz, Al, Mo and fucking Barry have the clubs best interests at heart and everything will be fine especially considering I live down south and there are a tonne of conference clubs down here so if I can still be arsed I might not have to travel so far to see us pushing for our customary 17th-19th place finish in whatever league we happen to be in! 

For all these people saying they are done with the club etc are you all going to be logging on at 3pm this Saturday.

The club don't care about any of us I highly doubt they are going to care about strongly worded emails. The only way they will likely care is if people stop paying money to them.

8 hours ago, Luis Enrique said:

Beyond fed up with this total shit show. But biting my tongue for now. 

If Rowe is replaced by a better player then we’re headed in the right direction.

If he’s replaced by a worse player then we’re going even further backwards.

Let’s see what you got Mo. Anything?

It’s difficult to see how the model of changing the squad so regularly can work. Even if over time it gets incrementally better (on paper) surely the lack of stability and consistency in the playing staff will stop that squad from realising its potential. As a strategy it baffles me. No promotion was ever achieved on the back of such regularly chopping and changing. 

That said, we should resist getting too sentimental about players. None of them are good enough for that, as much as I liked Rowe. There are loads of competent players out there. But as fans we want to build a level of affinity with the team and recognise our players as Latics players. The changing of the squad isn’t conducive to that and it just adds to feeling that this isn’t the club we want it to be. Too sentimental? Perhaps 

Just now, kev1969 said:

Well the reply I got back is Bradford are awash with money from the efl and the ifollow and we could not turn down offer for player out of contract at the end of the season 

It’s the length of contracts that is the issue. 

16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

For all these people saying they are done with the club etc are you all going to be logging on at 3pm this Saturday.

The club don't care about any of us I highly doubt they are going to care about strongly worded emails. The only way they will likely care is if people stop paying money to them.

I for one will not be now for another defeat at home 

15 minutes ago, Andy b said:

It’s the length of contracts that is the issue. 

I don't think it's even that it's just about keeping players coaches and managers onside and managing people properly. They are completely tone deaf they can't deal with people. We could of probably convinced Rowe to stay if we could do that.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think it's even that it's just about keeping players coaches and managers onside and managing people properly. They are completely tone deaf they can't deal with people. We could of probably convinced Rowe to stay if we could do that.

But he left because he is nearly out of contract rather than because he wanted to leave right? For all we know rowe may have begged to stay, unless I am missing something (sorry haven’t read the full thread so I may have)

16 minutes ago, Andy b said:

But he left because he is nearly out of contract rather than because he wanted to leave right? For all we know rowe may have begged to stay, unless I am missing something (sorry haven’t read the full thread so I may have)

There's no way the lad wanted to stay. He was only in the team because he'd kowtowed to his Majesty Marco and Marvelous Mo in the first place, otherwise he'd have been with Wheater and Woods. Rowe's instruction to his agent could not have been clearer, and who could blame him.

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Not in my opinion, his dysfunctional teams show no sign of consistency or do simple things like passing the ball and keeping possession, whereas Dino was building a team to get us out of this division  - until AL threw a spanner in the works.

C'mon now, Alf. I am no big fan of Kewell, but he is a massive upgrade on the dross that Dino was serving up. 7 days after the Newport win you posted above, we got well and truly bummed at Crawley. Some of the displays I witnessed under the reign of Dino were the worst I have seen in my 25+ years watching Latics...

41 minutes ago, Andy b said:

That said, we should resist getting too sentimental about players. None of them are good enough for that, as much as I liked Rowe. There are loads of competent players out there.

In my view, there are very few players out there, who we could bring in to the club, who can play like Danny Rowe. Yes the statistics show an average at best goal scoring return from Rowe but that’s only part of his overall contribution.

You can also argue that he lacked pace and sometimes looked disinterested - but for the most part his touch and ability to bring others into play was very good for the level we play at. In short he gave us an extra dimension when out on the pitch. 

However you cannot ignore the view that the disagreement over furlough and top up payments had soured the relationship between player and club. He was out of contract at the end of the season and it’s possible that he would not have wanted to stay if offered a new contract. 

Furthermore this uneasy relationship must have impacted his performance on the pitch. And maybe his style of play ultimately did not match the vision of how our Head Coach wants to play.

Yes there are ‘loads of competent’ players out there but I will miss the guy playing for us. Good luck and thanks for the memories Danny.

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

As you always quote records whilst playing for Oldham how do Grant and Dearnley stack up. 

I only quote league goals and games....Dearnley has only ever played for and has got 10 at much better than 1 In 3 Grant has got 1 at well below his career rate 

8 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Yep, sorry, my mistake. He was shite and we're better off without him

Blitz, Al, Mo and fucking Barry have the clubs best interests at heart and everything will be fine especially considering I live down south and there are a tonne of conference clubs down here so if I can still be arsed I might not have to travel so far to see us pushing for our customary 17th-19th place finish in whatever league we happen to be in! 

While Rowe is signed by a team in said 19th position who haven’t even got a manager,  so you wonder whose decision it was. Bradfords Sporting Director presumably ? 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

No. Barring some cunning plan involving a top striker and a top CM, l think l'm done with this regime. Tried so so hard not to chuck the towel in but as it stands, on 1st or 2nd of feb l will be going up to BP with my strongly worded letter, taking back my flag and joining the picket lines. This guy is an absolute cancer.

So angry.

🤬.

12 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I hear Salford are keen on Bahamboula. Inevitable really.

I've got an awful feeling that the lad we had on loan from Salford last year at the same time as Piergianni is going to be our replacement for Rowe

Whilst it is disappointing when one of the better players leaves but if is nothing new.  It has happened thriughout my 40 years of supporting the club.  We can all make assumptions but fact is he was out of contract at the end of the season and has moved to a potentially bigger club on probably more money. Even if we had offered him a new deal, it was probably less than Bradford have offered. Football is no longer about loyalty, its a business and has to be run on a sustainable footing.  In these difficult times, most clubs can only offer short term contracts because of lack if revenue.  It's a catch 22 situation where the fans are not prepared to buy a ST but we expect the owner to invest in better players and put them on long term contracts.  At this time the financial sustainability and survival of Oldham Athletic has to be the priority.

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

It’s difficult to see how the model of changing the squad so regularly can work. Even if over time it gets incrementally better (on paper) surely the lack of stability and consistency in the playing staff will stop that squad from realising its potential. As a strategy it baffles me. No promotion was ever achieved on the back of such regularly chopping and changing. 

No point being baffled by a strategy when there isn't one.

6 minutes ago, Whitts said:

Whilst it is disappointing when one of the better players leaves but if is nothing new.  It has happened thriughout my 40 years of supporting the club.  

Indeed so but most commonly because we could get decent offers, not enough to turn the lights on for a week and surely nobody thinks the undisclosed amount is much more than that

38 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

C'mon now, Alf. I am no big fan of Kewell, but he is a massive upgrade on the dross that Dino was serving up. 7 days after the Newport win you posted above, we got well and truly bummed at Crawley. Some of the displays I witnessed under the reign of Dino were the worst I have seen in my 25+ years watching Latics...

Worse  than v Mansfield last week?

20 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Yep. Macclesfield (H), Scunthorpe (H), Salford (A)  and Cheltenham (A) last season were the worst I have ever seen...

TTL I missed them then.  I sat open mouthed at how bad last week's performance was

Archived