46 minutes ago, Whitts said:

It's a catch 22 situation where the fans are not prepared to buy a ST but we expect the owner to invest in better players and put them on long term contracts.  At this time the financial sustainability and survival of Oldham Athletic has to be the priority.

No - we expect the owner and his cronies to not act like cretins and make OAFC a laughing stock in the football world. That's just billy basics. Start with that and it'd be a massive step forward. 

• Like 7
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just sent the club an email, expressing exactly how i feel. I don't expect a reply, and nothing will change, but i'm so angry at what he's done. This has finally tipped me over the edge. Bastard.

No doubt about that 😂😂

It's almost as if that line about our transfer policy focussing on youth and not signing over 30s was totally made up to try and excuse letting all our experienced and strong minded (and higher earnin

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

No - we expect the owner and his cronies to not act like cretins and make OAFC a laughing stock in the football world. That's just billy basics. Start with that and it'd be a massive step forward. 

Notwithstanding what has gone on before where the owners have made numerous mistakes, how can selling a player who probably wants the move and would go for nothing at the end of the season be a mistake.  It makes perfect economic sense to cash in especially at a time when there is no income stream.  Had we been top of this crappy league with a chance of going up then that would be different and you would take the risk and financial hit.  Football us a business and the days when players stayed loyal for the love of the club fizzled out years ago.  I dont like it anymore than most buf its reality.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

In my view, there are very few players out there, who we could bring in to the club, who can play like Danny Rowe. Yes the statistics show an average at best goal scoring return from Rowe but that’s only part of his overall contribution.

You can also argue that he lacked pace and sometimes looked disinterested - but for the most part his touch and ability to bring others into play was very good for the level we play at. In short he gave us an extra dimension when out on the pitch. 

However you cannot ignore the view that the disagreement over furlough and top up payments had soured the relationship between player and club. He was out of contract at the end of the season and it’s possible that he would not have wanted to stay if offered a new contract. 

Furthermore this uneasy relationship must have impacted his performance on the pitch. And maybe his style of play ultimately did not match the vision of how our Head Coach wants to play.

Yes there are ‘loads of competent’ players out there but I will miss the guy playing for us. Good luck and thanks for the memories Danny.

There may be few who can play like Rowe but it doesn’t follow that having a Rowe type player in your team is critical.

if we are only going to keep players for 1 year then it might as well be loanees

from the champ and prem which could yield some very good players, as it has done in the past.

don’t get me wrong, I don’t like that option and I am bitterly disappointed that Rowe has gone and that we have an owner who is readily willing to let our best players go and who has a policy of changing the team every six months or so. However, I maintain there are lots of good players our there that we could access.

1 minute ago, Whitts said:

Notwithstanding what has gone on before where the owners have made numerous mistakes, how can selling a player who probably wants the move and would go for nothing at the end of the season be a mistake.  It makes perfect economic sense to cash in especially at a time when there is no income stream.  Had we been top of this crappy league with a chance of going up then that would be different and you would take the risk and financial hit.  Football us a business and the days when players stayed loyal for the love of the club fizzled out years ago.  I dont like it anymore than most buf its reality.  

If the Lemmys are that hard up then perhaps they should consider whether ownership is for them. The optics of this particular transfer are terrible.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Whitts said:

how can selling a player who probably wants the move and would go for nothing at the end of the season be a mistake. 

That rather misses the point of why it is that he wanted a move.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

That rather misses the point of why it is that he wanted a move.

It's not something you can change in the January transfer window though is it.  It's a whole different debate.  Sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand and move forward and hope that the owners learn from mistakes.  

1 minute ago, Whitts said:

hope that the owners learn from mistakes.  

You have to be kidding.  Every time they appear to have taken a step forward they slide straight back again

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, Whitts said:

You are missing the root issue. Why aren’t fans willing to fund the club? 

27 minutes ago, Whitts said:

hope that the owners learn from mistakes.  

You had me until that point.

It isn't happening sadly.  You need influential and talented players in a successful squad and our owners have proven time and again that they don't get on with them when they are here.

We're hamstrung by them and we won't progress with them in charge.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

Is that a quote from Debenhams board room ? 

Quote from a B&Q Chief Executive many years ago;

"If you expect loyalty, buy a Dog"

Great thread this particularly with the introduction of the 'sale' of Danny Rowe

Moving on a player coming to the end of his contract makes total sense especially when revenue opportunities are virtually non-existent and season ticket holders beginning to stir on the matter of refunds

Highlights the dire financial situation we are in and additionally reminds us of how unattractive we are to half decent players to sign up for, should we need reminding

Fun bit will be finding out what BIG Name the Owner and Board have got lined up to replace Danny Rowe  . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by tGWB
spello
  • Like 1

We will be lucky to get 22nd  doing what they have done in  giving your relegation rivals one of your better strikers is shocking.If this costs us our position in the efl how much will that cost them

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If the Lemmys are that hard up then perhaps they should consider whether ownership is for them. The optics of this particular transfer are terrible.

I suspect a lot of league two owners are in a similar financial situation or not far off it especially during this pandemic 

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Moving on a player coming to the end of his contract makes total sense especially when revenue opportunities are virtually non-existent and season ticket holders beginning to stir on the matter of refunds

Highlights the dire financial situation we are in and additionally reminds us of how unattractive we are to half decent players to sign up for, should we need reminding

If it was a business decision, I can see why they did it (although I don't agree with it).  Rowe was alright - scored a couple of belters, but I think McAleny and Dearnley will get us more goals. Of the three, I'd cash in on him, I think...

If however, he's been moved on under a cloud for some petulant reason which cuts our nose of to spite face, then it's another one for the massive head-in-hands pile of idiocy that's been created by our owners..

• Like 2

Regarding the economics of this it only makes sense if we replace him adequately. You have to factor in the possibility that we can go down our current form shows we haven't won in 6 games. I don't think it will happen but if we don't strengthen from where we are now it's a possibility this season could fall off a cliff. Going down would be an economic catastrophe for us. Far more costly than letting our best striker (who could keep us up between now and the end of the season) go on a free.

Edited by GlossopLatic
21 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If it was a business decision, I can see why they did it (although I don't agree with it).  Rowe was alright - scored a couple of belters, but I think McAleny and Dearnley will get us more goals. Of the three, I'd cash in on him, I think...

If however, he's been moved on under a cloud for some petulant reason which cuts our nose of to spite face, then it's another one for the massive head-in-hands pile of idiocy that's been created by our owners..

For the reported 20K?