January Transfer Window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sheep Foot said:

Not sure about that.....there are thousands of unemployed footballers of very similar standard to each other .....if you reckon each ot the 92 clubs has an average first team squad of 25 that is just 2300 first team footballers in the entire country . ( by comparison that is about the same number as there are in each school year in Oldham )  Contracts are hard to come by and run of the mill pros can’t be fancy dans about who and for whom they play

I agree on your wider point, but he has 14 already, and if he gets close to 20 by the end of the season- then he clearly isn’t in similar standard bracket and will be sought after. 

36 minutes ago, hillside blue said:

The lad has scored 14 goals in half a season, how many players have we had in recent memory who have achieved 14 goals in a full season, that is why other clubs are looking at him.

The majority of the games he has played have been out on the wing.

Not a bad return considering.

There might be thousands of similar standard players out there and we have had more than our fair share of them, but it is players above that standard we want to be attracting, otherwise we will continue to have a large turnover of players without achieving any sort of success.

Yes but the point I am making is that MacAleny was not and is not progressing in his career and to suggest that he is using us as a shop window is a concept not cognisant of the situation in pro football

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I agree on your wider point, but he has 14 already, and if he gets close to 20 by the end of the season- then he clearly isn’t in similar standard bracket and will be sought after. 

Yes but He has scored goals all his career. He is not unknown , he is 27? .....he is not using us a shop window . He is earning a living and we were his best offer

If he does go in this window, it shows once again the folly of one year contracts to your better players.

They simply turn down the option, get a better offer, and move on. We get less for them than if they had another year to run.

Granted, they may only have wanted a year in the first place, but I think you get my point. And yet we gave the likes of Whelan and Fage two years and you wouldn't call them regular starters.

On another note, if we're top heavy with loanees, send Garrity back and play McCalmont. Job done.

Mind you, we are dealing with our flat capped Director of Sport who appears to know very little about footballers bar the odd Bahamboula type, but his overall track record is pretty dismal.

33 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

Yes but He has scored goals all his career. He is not unknown , he is 27? .....he is not using us a shop window . He is earning a living and we were his best offer

Do you know he had a choice of clubs? Or are you guessing? No player who in your own words ‘has scored goals all his career’ chooses a club who finished 17th in the fourth division unless it’s your only offer.  Maybe clubs were put off with his injury record? Sometimes players take one step back for two forward. If he gets close to 20 which is eminently possible, he’ll be gone. . and we will have been a useful shop window for him to get the move he craved in the summer. If you doubt that that he is using us to further his career I assume you believe he turn down any offers in the summer and sign a new contract with us? 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

He's already under contract. If he goes in the summer then so be it but they cannot let him go in this window.

It’s not ideal but If he won’t sign a probably improved extension he will go for nowt in June anyway. We are not top of the league and are under immense financial pressure so I don’t think the club could be criticised for letting him go for a reasonable fee now!!

I will be gutted to see him go but being realistic If the money helps pay the bills and allow us to bring in a replacement or two then that will help surely. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you know he had a choice of clubs? Or are you guessing? No player who in your own words ‘has scored goals all his career’ chooses a club who finished 17th in the fourth division unless it’s your only offer.  Maybe clubs were put off with his injury record? Sometimes players take one step back for two forward. If he gets close to 20 which is eminently possible, he’ll be gone. . and we will have been a useful shop window for him to get the move he craved in the summer. If you doubt that that he is using us to further his career I assume you believe he turn down any offers in the summer and sign a new contract with us? 

Of course he will sign a contract elsewhere....why wouldn’t he? .....that is why he signed for us ....paid employment,  ....but the idea that he thought he would sign for Oldham because that would give him the shop window for a move to Fleetwood or Shrewsbury is simply fanciful.

26 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

Of course he will sign a contract elsewhere....why wouldn’t he? .....that is why he signed for us ....paid employment,  ....but the idea that he thought he would sign for Oldham because that would give him the shop window for a move to Fleetwood or Shrewsbury is simply fanciful.

Stating the bleeding obvious there. Fleetwood and Shrewsbury were his 2 previous clubs so they'll clearly know what he's about.

I know for a fact McAleny signed with us for a season to score a few goals and move on. It’s exactly what he has done, and will do. If we lose on Tuesday I could see us selling him to get the fee. If we win, I could see us holding onto him in the hope his goals can push us into the playoffs. Either way, he’s 100% off in 6 months. 

I said at the beginning of the season he would score 20+ if he stayed fit and interested . Good player at this level , but has shown signs of a player who again wants away .To me he has never looked happy here , hardly celebrates a goal . Although that is admittedly tough at the moment . Maybe I am being hard on him and its just his demeanor . Would prefer him to stay but if someone waves 100k at us let him go .

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I know for a fact McAleny signed with us for a season to score a few goals and move on. It’s exactly what he has done, and will do. If we lose on Tuesday I could see us selling him to get the fee. If we win, I could see us holding onto him in the hope his goals can push us into the playoffs. Either way, he’s 100% off in 6 months. 

Don’t tell the rubix cube, he thinks he’s got a love affair with Oldham. 

34 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Short term addition with the hope it might get us somewhere, he'll be off as soon as we get a concrete offer.

Shame, because his ability and craft has been bewitching at times.

It'll be interesting if we win the next two games and he bags a few more.

40 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Short term addition with the hope it might get us somewhere, he'll be off as soon as we get a concrete offer.

Shame, because his ability and craft has been bewitching at times.

It'll be interesting if we win the next two games and he bags a few more.

Anymore rumours yet, things have gone quiet.

14 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Anymore rumours yet, things have gone quiet.

Not that I know of but if they do come to fruition and McAleny leaves in this window

Any replacement if at all, would now have to be a half decent centre half and go with what's left upfront, it matters not about all the goals being scored but if we could just keep out at the other end and sneak games by the odd goal, Dearnley, Grant and DKD are bagging,

we still have a remote chance of extending our season.

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

A similar age to when Clarke was deemed to be too old

Just goes to show how ridiculous the decision was to release Clarke in the first place.

However he does sound like just the type of character we could do with at the moment. Too many teams have seen Latics as a bit of a soft touch this season. Perhaps if we had a team containing Adams, Legge and Hilßner, it might give us the bit of steel, nastiness and nouse that we’ve been lacking.

It's almost as if that line about our transfer policy focussing on youth and not signing over 30s was totally made up to try and excuse letting all our experienced and strong minded (and higher earning) players go.

Archived