January Transfer Window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

5 years ago

He’s 35, relatively old for a striker, but he may have something left in the tank. I think it’s a good signing at this level personally. 

If we have missed out on signing a Centre Half, which was an absolute necessity, I guess we can still get one who is currently out of contract. However, do rules permit one club to cancel the contract of a player (with that players agreement) thus allowing another club to then sign that player up as a free agent (after the window has closed)?

We need a centre half so this is a question made in desperation as the window closes in an hour. It is though also relevant to the Wheater situation. He hasn’t been sold, meaning we have to shell out the four odd grand a week until the end of the season, unless we can cancel his contract to allow another club to take him?

FWIW I think we have shuffled the deckchairs this window. Rowe was a loss, though probably a sensible bit of business (given Mo or Abs had clearly pissed him off) and Adams and Hilssner have helped to compensate for this by giving us better midfield options (although Adams is playing at right back!) We remain in disarray at the back however, so overall we have probably gone from a default performance being a 3-2 loss to being a kind of lose 2-1 type of team.

When I’ve posted before I’ve said we are a 13th to 18th side in this division. I’ve no reason to change my view based on: recent performances; this transfer window; the continuing evidence that we are not building a squad for next season; an increasing feeling of confusion regarding Kewell’s teams and set ups; and the fact that Mo continues to be spotted on the training ground.

Just now, oafc1955 said:

We don’t need a goal scorer, we’ve plenty in the squad already.....what we do need is an experienced older head and IMO Nugent would have been perfect for the role.

In this league Nugent will score goals, no doubting that and it'll be the kind of shrewd signing to get them out of this shit pit

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

In this league Nugent will score goals, no doubting that and it'll be the kind of shrewd signing to get them out of this shit pit

Agreed. Tranmere looking like the kind of outfit that will finish right up there. Apart from the teams already in the top 7, Mansfield or Bradford could make it to the play offs.

Despite continued optimism (or blind faith) in some quarters I just can’t see us winning 11 or 12 of our last 20 games to get past the minimum 70 points needed. The defence is poor and performances are too inconsistent, even though we’ve got the firepower this season (something we did not have in the last two years). Shame.

2 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Agreed. Tranmere looking like the kind of outfit that will finish right up there. Apart from the teams already in the top 7, Mansfield or Bradford could make it to the play offs.

Despite continued optimism (or blind faith) in some quarters I just can’t see us winning 11 or 12 of our last 20 games to get past the minimum 70 points needed. The defence is poor and performances are too inconsistent, even though we’ve got the firepower this season (something we did not have in the last two years). Shame.

58 points finishing 14th. 

Can anyone on Furtherwood Road please have a look to see if any lights are on at BP or any half decent cars parked outside? Thank you.

If not, we'd might as well wrap up for the night and get ready for HK tinkering with what he's got.

6 minutes ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

Trannies have experience running right through the team, Clarkey, Spearing and now Nugent, the tramp's in dreamland and has the know how to comfortably see them up

Archived