January Transfer Window

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got enough to stay up and that's the aim so I wasnt really expecting any signings.

There is no plan we have a poor recruitment and management structure and the most frustrating thing is that this league is God awful and when you look at those having a go this season it is depressing, you only have to hope that any powder that may be left is going to be used to have a good go next season.

In

4 attacking wide players (1 being played at right back, 1 central, 1 probably a development player, 1 our 7th loan)

Out

Right back

Our only proper centre forward

Left back

We already had 6 players who can/do play a wide attacking role.  We look very weak and light in central defence and central midfield.

Irrespective of who is doing the recruitment, yet again we look totally devoid of any sort of strategy.

Decent enough window for me, Adams and Der Hammer bringing some quality and leadership. Kept hold of McAlney which was crucial.

Having seven loanees probably not ideal but in these Covid times it is probably the cheapest way of bolstering the squad so needs must.

Don't really understand the clamour for a striker considering we don't have issues scoring, centre half would have been good but I guess they couldn't get it done.

Wheater going would have been best for all parties you'd think but he seems happier to sit on his contract than go out and play football elsewhere, very strange mindset at his stage of career.

On 26/12/2020 at 6:26 PM, Dave_Og said:

The apparent expectation of a splurge in January feels like fantasy to me.  Can't see why the owner would want to commit significant additional funds right now and surely there were strings attached to the support package.

I'll stick with that 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Decent enough window for me, Adams and Der Hammer bringing some quality and leadership. Kept hold of McAlney which was crucial.

Having seven loanees probably not ideal but in these Covid times it is probably the cheapest way of bolstering the squad so needs must.

Don't really understand the clamour for a striker considering we don't have issues scoring, centre half would have been good but I guess they couldn't get it done.

Wheater going would have been best for all parties you'd think but he seems happier to sit on his contract than go out and play football elsewhere, very strange mindset at his stage of career.

Agree with all this. Very strange we haven't brought in a centre half to help reduce to the goals we concede

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Adams, Hilssner and the Posh lad in for Hamer, Rowe and Barnett seems decent enough for me. However, you can't hide the fact that we are absolutely crying out for a (competent) centre half...

20 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Jordan Barnett set to leave Latics according to Mike Minay (posted on BBC Sport website re transfer window at 11.11am). He is "after more game time'.

He may be whistling in the wind there as it seems very likely that the National League season will end this week or next. 

The knock on effect of that would probably mean no relegation from L2

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

In

4 attacking wide players (1 being played at right back, 1 central, 1 probably a development player, 1 our 7th loan)

Out

Right back

Our only proper centre forward

Left back

We already had 6 players who can/do play a wide attacking role.  We look very weak and light in central defence and central midfield.

Irrespective of who is doing the recruitment, yet again we look totally devoid of any sort of strategy.

Alternatively...

In - Experienced right sided player in Adams who was immediately handed the armband 

In - Technically strong central player in Hilssner who will get better as he gets fitter and will be best as a defensive midfielder

in - Winger who could play central and from his ‘showreel’ does have good skills

In - Forward with pace and skill but one for the future

Out - Right back/Centre Back in Hamer who was not catching the team and whose career had stalled at best and gone backwards at worst 

Out - Left back in Barnett who was given a number of starts but realistically came up short

Out - Forward in Rowe who should not have been sold but if his departure allowed us to bring in Hilssner and Adams then that goes some way to mitigate the decision. 

Having said that, I totally agree that there does not seem to be a coherent strategy and we simply stumble along occasionally getting lucky as with Bahamboula and Hilssner 

Seven loanees seems a strange approach given the match day restrictions but will work with Kewell’s squad rotation policy .

All in all, if that’s it, then an average window at best. Made worse by the fact that the Wheater situation was not resolved.

4 minutes ago, Emcee_Latic said:

Whether we like it or nor Piergianni and Clarke must be our best central defensive partnership.

How come Kewell doesn't play them together. Jombati as first choice!!! 

Although not great, of those available I tend to agree. Jombati is a liability at centre half as he's too slow to react, he and CBJ  go walkabout too often, CBJ literally does walk about. Although Piergianni can't pass, much like others in the team, he does put his foot through it when needed.

Pity we again seem to have no long term aim as kewell deserves more time but will likely start next season with a new team. At least we have enough to stay up this year as I was worried we would go. 

when mcaleny goes at end of season as there will be interest and the 7 loans go back we literally have nothing left. Not happy Rowe left but he wasn’t going to fit into Kewell’s counter attack plan. Again a window Shuts and I feel we haven’t really moved forward which is disappointing 

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

At least we have enough to stay up this year as I was worried we would go. 

Doubt there'll be any relegation this season as NL looks like abandoning its season. Not unreasonable to think that might be a factor in not splashing out. Well that and not having a brass farthing

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

He may be whistling in the wind there as it seems very likely that the National League season will end this week or next. 

The knock on effect of that would probably mean no relegation from L2

I can see Torquay having something to say about that, being 10 points clear at the top.

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Doubt there'll be any relegation this season as NL looks like abandoning its season. Not unreasonable to think that might be a factor in not splashing out. Well that and not having a brass farthing

maybe not but I thought we’d be close to drop so nicely surprised we have as many points as we do. They may not want to splash out but doe likely mean we start afresh again next year with a brand new team. Whether that’s progress or not I’m not sure 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Alternatively...

In - Experienced right sided player in Adams who was immediately handed the armband 

In - Technically strong central player in Hilssner who will get better as he gets fitter and will be best as a defensive midfielder

in - Winger who could play central and from his ‘showreel’ does have good skills

In - Forward with pace and skill but one for the future

Out - Right back/Centre Back in Hamer who was not catching the team and whose career had stalled at best and gone backwards at worst 

Out - Left back in Barnett who was given a number of starts but realistically came up short

Out - Forward in Rowe who should not have been sold but if his departure allowed us to bring in Hilssner and Adams then that goes some way to mitigate the decision. 

Having said that, I totally agree that there does not seem to be a coherent strategy and we simply stumble along occasionally getting lucky as with Bahamboula and Hilssner 

Seven loanees seems a strange approach given the match day restrictions but will work with Kewell’s squad rotation policy .

All in all, if that’s it, then an average window at best. Made worse by the fact that the Wheater situation was not resolved.

I didn't make any judgement on the individuals themselves, just the overall strategy which I can't figure out.  But that hasn't changed since Mo took up the role.  I did start writing a longer post, but it could probably be summarised by saying we're massively overstaffed in some positions and understaffed in others.

Wheater just gets better and better the longer he is out. Did he not seem as good as we thought he would be either through lack of commitment or lack of interest? The fact he hasn’t felt enthused to find a club points towards the latter. May be wrong but if he does put on the blue shirt do we expect much of an improvement on what went before given what’s gone on?

The Wheater we hoped we were getting would be ideal (and I would like to see him back in but withe right attitude and commitment).

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I didn't make any judgement on the individuals themselves, just the overall strategy which I can't figure out.  But that hasn't changed since Mo took up the role.  I did start writing a longer post, but it could probably be summarised by saying we're massively overstaffed in some positions and understaffed in others.

Not much of a strategy apart from kewell wants us to be a counter attack side so we going for mobile players who can play on break I think hence rowe being allowed to leave. Certainly no medium to long term thinking and why we have so many wingers only mo and kewell know. Just looks like poor management

On an individual level the players we've brought in look to have improved the playing standard of the squad.  Hamer and Barnett aren't big losses.  Rowe would've been a loss anyway but it's doubly so because we didn't replace his role in the team.  None of our other attacking options can play the central role reliably.

If we had the means to make a push for promotion then that centre forward and swapping Wheater for a competent centre back would've been the two key signings on deadline day.  As it is we've got enough talent to comfortably stay up but nowhere near enough structure and organisation to serious trouble the promotion race.  The upgrade from previous seasons is that at least there should be plenty of goals for the rest of the season (at both ends of course).

As for the Wheater situation, with the salary cap in effect I'd be surprised if teams were willing to pay the same as he's earning here to bring him in, so I'd guess that he'd not want to play for the next 3+ months for less money and would be happy to sit the contract out if not picked by us. 

From our side I'm disappointed that we didn't try to be a bit creative with it, either loaning him out or selling him but pay the difference in his contract that the buying team couldn't pay.  It would've at least have given us the chance to find another player who would actually play!  I suppose with Mo's previous experience as Sporting Director and track record here it's a surprise that he even manages to put one foot in front of the other when walking.

20 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

On an individual level the players we've brought in look to have improved the playing standard of the squad.  Hamer and Barnett aren't big losses.  Rowe would've been a loss anyway but it's doubly so because we didn't replace his role in the team.  None of our other attacking options can play the central role reliably.

If we had the means to make a push for promotion then that centre forward and swapping Wheater for a competent centre back would've been the two key signings on deadline day.  As it is we've got enough talent to comfortably stay up but nowhere near enough structure and organisation to serious trouble the promotion race.  The upgrade from previous seasons is that at least there should be plenty of goals for the rest of the season (at both ends of course).

As for the Wheater situation, with the salary cap in effect I'd be surprised if teams were willing to pay the same as he's earning here to bring him in, so I'd guess that he'd not want to play for the next 3+ months for less money and would be happy to sit the contract out if not picked by us. 

From our side I'm disappointed that we didn't try to be a bit creative with it, either loaning him out or selling him but pay the difference in his contract that the buying team couldn't pay.  It would've at least have given us the chance to find another player who would actually play!  I suppose with Mo's previous experience as Sporting Director and track record here it's a surprise that he even manages to put one foot in front of the other when walking.

wheater has prob had enough of football. After way he’s been treated. Moved back to Middlesbrough so think that’s him done unless he can get a deal north east way. He wouldn’t have gone on loan, going to collect his wage then hang up boots I would imagine 

Archived