January Transfer Window

We will be starting next season with once again an almost entirely new playing squad. At least with a little bit of juggling in this window it could very well have been in the division above.

We shouldn’t use the Covid excuse as it’s been exactly the same for every team in the division and luckily, somehow, we were not too far away from having a successful side!

We don’t even have the nucleus of a team to take us forward next season and are once again consigned to a host of cobbled together new recruits coming in from here there and everywhere! I’ve only just got used to putting names to faces from this season’s incomings!!

We’ll be approaching the 4th year of a 5 year plan for the Championship and Kewell (if he’s still here) will once again be starting from scratch. What a shambles of a football club we have become.....If that’s progress you can stick it where the Sun don’t shine!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

We’ll be approaching the 4th year of a 5 year plan

With apologies to @lookersstandandy there was never anything even resembling plan. There was some airy fairy document saying he'd want to be in the championship in five years but absolutely zero detail about how that was to be achieved 

18 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Only 8 players contracted beyond the end of this season if I’ve worked it out right and I’ve included the options being taken up on ntambwie and bahamboula 

Lot of clubs will be in same boat, we're not alone in that respect.

I’m not sure many L2 clubs will not be in the same position in the summer. Not too many 3 year contracts handed out, especially as most clubs will be taking a chance on players who might turn out to be ok as more experienced players are less affordable unless the owner has deep pockets. So most L2 clubs will be rebuilding. Some have good fortune and shrewd management, who would have predicted the current top 4 at the start of the season?

57 minutes ago, steveecky said:

I’m not sure many L2 clubs will not be in the same position in the summer. Not too many 3 year contracts handed out, especially as most clubs will be taking a chance on players who might turn out to be ok as more experienced players are less affordable unless the owner has deep pockets. So most L2 clubs will be rebuilding. Some have good fortune and shrewd management, who would have predicted the current top 4 at the start of the season?

Shrewd management!...what’s that?😂

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Plenty of good free agents about who in these times will be glad of reasonable offers from clubs like ours.

I’m sure you’re right and that’s good for employers but it’s an indication of the economy we have when we have a situation like “hirings fairs” of the 19th and 18th century. 
I was in India last year and saw carpenters sat at the roadside with their tools hoping someone might employ them. 
Everyone wants security for themselves and their families and it’s rough that we as supporters are looking forward to exploiting that. By the way that’s not a dig at you just at where we all are. 

1 minute ago, LaticsPete said:

I’m sure you’re right and that’s good for employers but it’s an indication of the economy we have when we have a situation like “hirings fairs” of the 19th and 18th century. 
I was in India last year and saw carpenters sat at the roadside with their tools hoping someone might employ them. 
Everyone wants security for themselves and their families and it’s rough that we as supporters are looking forward to exploiting that. By the way that’s not a dig at you just at where we all are. 

Perhaps this is a symptom of ridiculously high wages being paid to mundane players.

Paying fortunes to Premiership team's young kids who get nowhere near the first team who thus feel entitled to demand them for the rest of their careers at whatever level they play has ruined the game.

Gone are the days when first team pros cut grass in Royton Park during the summer break to earn a few quid extra.

9 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Football has always been quite mercenary, even at the highest level with outrageous transfer fees  and now agents hawking players about.

It would help if we didn't recruit the same dross year after year, so although only half a dozen you'd want to keep, our track record over the years leaves a lot to be desired. My guess is only Adams and Dearnley would be on the list of fans wanting them to be kept. Do we really see Woods, Piergianni, Badan, Wheklan, Blackwood as the spine of the team?

However, a straw poll, shows:

Moneybags Bolton 15

Salford 13

Bradford 11

Barrow 8

Carlisle 5

Southend 5

Tranmere 3

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

So we have one poster earlier moaning about starting with a nearly new squad next year-again. Then just now somebody happy to see them all go.

Both those points can be valid at the same time.

6 hours ago, Handsy said:

Only 8 players contracted beyond the end of this season if I’ve worked it out right and I’ve included the options being taken up on ntambwie and bahamboula 

On the other hand. How many of the rest do we really want to keep? If there is and they are worth keeping, they will be off to a better run club. It's a good job the vast majority of them have 12 month contracts. 

Archived