MATCH: vs Grimsby Town (A) 29.12.20

On 12/29/2020 at 7:58 PM, steveecky said:

Commentators praising Luamba. The only thing he has brought to the team is youthful enthusiasm. Not won a header, not held the ball up, not made a pass. Not his fault but shows that injuries to a couple of forwards leaves us very light.

Last night we were without four forwards in Grant, Rowe, McAleny & Blackwood  - so we played with one recognised striker who is returning from injury and is obviously not yet back to full match fitness and a 17 year old making his full debut.

We also have two defenders out injured in Badan & Jameson.

Thats not to make excuses for another abject performance in terms of passing, keeping the ball when in possession and decision making. And it’s this inability of the majority of outfield players on the pitch to do the basics that I find simply baffling. 

And yet, despite the dismal skills on show, we fashioned three good chances against a very limited Grimsby side and should have won the game comfortably. 

It’s not been much fun watching Latics over Xmas.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s a problem here because we’re shopping in the bargain bucket and we generally don’t have the nous to exploit it. (Bam and Mac are the only examples) it’s not an issue there because they can afford to bring in known quality signings. 

Who recruits is largely moot IMO, it’s much more about what you can afford. 

“ Bam and Mac are the only examples” .....what about Danny?

34 minutes ago, Sheep Foot said:

“ Bam and Mac are the only examples” .....what about Danny?

They paid a fee for a prolific non league striker. It was hardly deep level scouting, nor did they get him on a free. 

Speaking of Danny. I hope he gets back from injury soon. I had bet on his goals return this season with another poster, but I haven’t heard off him in ages. 

The model of a sporting director being heavily involved in recruitment isn’t the “interference” most are bothered about is it?  Not for me at least. The interference issue at oafc is banishing players when you want to force them out, dressing room team talks and getting involved in team selection.  That sort of thing. Which is hopefully happening less now. 

The problem with our model is a total lack of accountability. It seems Mo and Barry are chief recruiters. After 3 years of dismal failure (with the odd exception) they’d be out in normal circumstances. But both are seemingly untouchable.  Wouldn’t happen at other clubs operating the same model. Not one that was looking for success any way. 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

They paid a fee for a prolific non league striker. It was hardly deep level scouting, nor did they get him on a free. 

Speaking of Danny. I hope he gets back from injury soon. I had bet on his goals return this season with another poster, but I haven’t heard off him in ages. 

You might have 

• Matt unfeatured this topic
6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

The model of a sporting director being heavily involved in recruitment isn’t the “interference” most are bothered about is it?  Not for me at least. The interference issue at oafc is banishing players when you want to force them out, dressing room team talks and getting involved in team selection.  That sort of thing. Which is hopefully happening less now. 

The problem with our model is a total lack of accountability. It seems Mo and Barry are chief recruiters. After 3 years of dismal failure (with the odd exception) they’d be out in normal circumstances. But both are seemingly untouchable.  Wouldn’t happen at other clubs operating the same model. Not one that was looking for success any way. 

‘Banishing’ players happens regularly at clubs when - from the clubs point of view the player is playing hard ball, or Isn’t doing what the club wants. Reading Paddy Kennys book and it happened to him at QPR when Warnock left. Told to train with the kids, then on his own, then had to take a shit pay off just to get out of the club.  Granted it happens more often with us. But we’re by no means the first or last club to do it.

Dressing room talks/team interference is just madness and indefensible. 

Your second point- yeah he’s hardly gonna sack his brother is he. My sense is Barry isn’t as involved, I think he recommends to ALMO but I don’t think they let him any final say. He works for them, not with them. It’s a cartel-  which as you say is no recipe for success. 

If Mo couldn't see the problem at Grimsby and rectify it in January, he should resign. But of course he/s doing a good job isn't he!

A bunch of professional players on both sides who would struggle to get a game on Clayton Playing Fields. They get paid to play football and that's all they do. They train, practice and play and they still can't put a few passes together without giving the ball away.

23 hours ago, al_bro said:

If Mo couldn't see the problem at Grimsby and rectify it in January, he should resign. But of course he/s doing a good job isn't he!

A bunch of professional players on both sides who would struggle to get a game on Clayton Playing Fields. They get paid to play football and that's all they do. They train, practice and play and they still can't put a few passes together without giving the ball away.

For years these players have been in academy schemes etc improving and honing the natural skills that were spotted on the school football pitches. WTF happened.

6 minutes ago, laticsrblue said:

For years these players have been in academy schemes etc improving and honing the natural skills that were spotted on the school football pitches. WTF happened.

The pressure of executing your skills under pressure.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They don't always do it under pressure though. They can have loads of time and still give the ball away. Especially Garrity and Pidge's hoof.

3 minutes ago, al_bro said:

They don't always do it under pressure though. They can have loads of time and still give the ball away. Especially Garrity and Pidge's hoof.

Handling the pressure of executing your skills in a match situation goes a long way to defining what level a player gets to. Garrity could probably go and train with a Championship side day to day and not look out of place.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:43 PM, League one forever said:

Watching Class of 92 last night- and it covers last season. After Rowe equalises at their place, it cuts to Alexander in the changing room -after the game and he just shouts at his players. . . 

Danny . . fucking . . Rowe!!??? 

It was highly amusing how affronted their were by drawing against minnows like Oldham and that Danny fucking Rowe had the temerity to score against them. 😂

My favourite bit was Rooney after the game saying ‘they are fucking shit and they’ve just took a point of us’ 😂😂 he wasn’t wrong!!

20 hours ago, deyres42 said:

This is one of the big downsides of the modern system where the top clubs have huge academies which hoover up most of the local talent

So many players spend years now playing in training and uncompetitive matches with a few short loan spells. 

It doesn't compare to what you learn playing in league matches every week for a club you are really part of, whilst trying to get yourself and the club to a higher level.

A key player from the winners of the Conference North would probably bring more to our team at this level than your average didn't-quite-make-it Premier League academy graduate.

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

This is one of the big downsides of the modern system where the top clubs have huge academies which hoover up most of the local talent

So many players spend years now playing in training and uncompetitive matches with a few short loan spells. 

It doesn't compare to what you learn playing in league matches every week for a club you are really part of, whilst trying to get yourself and the club to a higher level.

A key player from the winners of the Conference North would probably bring more to our team at this level than your average didn't-quite-make-it Premier League academy graduate.

I agree with you. Also, reserve team leagues/fixtures must have helped, the old Central League was very competitive. Not sure if it still exists, I haven't read anything on it for a long time.

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree with you. Also, reserve team leagues/fixtures must have helped, the old Central League was very competitive. Not sure if it still exists, I haven't read anything on it for a long time.

Still exists, we should be in this....https://salfordcityfc.co.uk/central-league-fixtures-announced-090920/

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree. Was it a cost cutting exercise, getting rid of the reserves? I used to watch loads of reserve games (free with a season ticket!). 

It still exists and i'd like to be back in it, but i don't think we will.

20 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I agree. Was it a cost cutting exercise, getting rid of the reserves? I used to watch loads of reserve games (free with a season ticket!). 

It still exists and i'd like to be back in it, but i don't think we will.

If you exclude the youth teams, we don't have enough players to run a reserve side. I'd rather the budget was spent better on the 1st. team. 

There is no substitute for competitive games so surely If you have a reserve team your players are more likely to adapt and be better equipped for transition to the 1st team.

There are more than enough sides in the North West to be able to form a league and surely it would enable clubs to better develop and nurture local talent!

19 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

There is no substitute for competitive games so surely If you have a reserve team your players are more likely to adapt and be better equipped for transition to the 1st team.

There are more than enough sides in the North West to be able to form a league and surely it would enable clubs to better develop and nurture local talent!

It would, but I don't think our budget would allow it.

Archived