Bournemouth away!

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Exactly. I feel we caved in and gave them an easy option. 

Not just our decision. The FA were involved . 
On Thursday the forecast was pretty dire, Bournemouth were travelling on Friday and a postponed match would have left Latics liable for travel and accommodation costs - plus possibly losing loss of broadcast income. Bournemouth also have a Championship match on Tuesday so no way would a Sunday game have been agreed to.

It is as it is and not worth getting het up about. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Got the game played and out of the way, let's see if it has any bearing on results in the league or not?

Making a charge towards the play offs is the aim from here on in.

How will you judge/ measure what bearing it has on the results ?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Doubt Bournemouth would have agreed as they have a game on Tuesday

In that case let the FA sort it out. Presumably the game wasn't getting switched unless we agreed to it. Be interesting to see what happens with the Shrewsbury-Soton game.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

They said the FA directed the switch, hinting at potential financial penalties. Surprised nothing has been made of that.

Well there was no chance of switching to a neutral ground in the current circumstances so that's that then.  It's not as if playing at home appears to offer us any advantage at all.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

With the way things are at this moment in time, a massive backlog of games, I see it as a blessing and the league is far more important all day long, only my opinion.

I bet the board doesn't think that way.  A decent FA Cup run has seemed to be our priority for many years.   

3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

With the way things are at this moment in time, a massive backlog of games, I see it as a blessing and the league is far more important all day long, only my opinion.

We are miles away from the play offs we've not even been in the top half all season nevermind the top 7.

Well actually we are 5 players away but we would have to bring in those 5 players and they would have to be certain starters who could hit the ground running and make an instant impact the chances of us finding those 5 players in the next 3 weeks is pretty slim.

22 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We are miles away from the play offs we've not even been in the top half all season nevermind the top 7.

Well actually we are 5 players away but we would have to bring in those 5 players and they would have to be certain starters who could hit the ground running and make an instant impact the chances of us finding those 5 players in the next 3 weeks is pretty slim.

Yep.   It's a fantasy.

Maybe I'm lacking in ambition, but after our awful start to the season and potential volatility of our owners (still could happen), mid-table and scoring a large amount of goals has exceeded my expectations of where I thought we would be at this stage.

Can we push on further?  I doubt it with this current squad.  I'm not convinced that we have enough quality in midfield nor do I believe that we can be consistent enough from one week to the next.  A few smart additions could change that but I'm not convinced that we have the budget nor the competency from the people making decisions to do that, not without selling on any of the few quality players we have.

15 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Could we not have played this game at home today? Just feels like we given away a potential advantage for the sake of squeezing a match in.

Have you missed most of this season? We're (generally speaking) much better away. If anything on the evidence of the season you'd say we gained an advantage in playing away....

9 hours ago, doctor evil said:

Have you missed most of this season? We're (generally speaking) much better away. If anything on the evidence of the season you'd say we gained an advantage in playing away....

Not convinced of the relevance of that in context of a cup tie, I certainly hope that didn't influence any thinking from our end.

But what is done is done, perhaps we will find out in due course what kind of heat the FA put on us.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived