MATCH: v Mansfield Town (H) 13/01/21

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Question.

Can anyone remember Bahamboula having a stormer at home for us?

If the answer is no (which i suspect it is) is he integral to us getting anything out of a game? With this in mind, is our pitch too small to accommodate his, and our, style of play?

He scored his first goal for us at home with a run from his own half, didn't he?

The home/away thing is nonsense.  The ifollow commentary made me laugh in disbelief (not for the first time..) by claiming the absent crowd would be willing us on to the equaliser if they were here, when in reality it'd be the complete opposite - any home fans that would be there would either be silent or whinging at that dross.

The players will never get an easier ride playing at Boundary Park than they're getting now..

7 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Question.

If the answer is no (which i suspect it is) is he integral to us getting anything out of a game? With this in mind, is our pitch too small to accommodate his, and our, style of play?

I thought the same thing regarding our pitch.
That was the biggest shower of non-cohesive sh*te I have seen...ever!

Halfway through another season that may or may not reach a natural conclusion and Latics have gone from looking up to looking over their shoulders. Opposing teams must relish the thought of playing at BP.

Dont post much on here any more but that game has really got to me.

I can only describe quite a few of those players ( losely put ) as THICK.

if nobody in charge of that team cant see that the midfield is causing major problems, they offer nothing to the forwards and constantly give the ball away resulting in the very poor defence being over run.

Only reason we have done so well away is because teams are more open and our forwards seem to do well breaking quickly.

At home, well as i said THICK 

Sorry cant be more articulate than that, they dont deserve better grammer or words.

26 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Question.

It's simple really. He's been found out, teams now prepare to deal with him and the fact that it's quite successful says more about his inability to deal with the added attention. Having said that I do think he's ok for us but claims that he could play at a higher level are misguided. Hope he proves me wrong....

Another abject home display. 

From the starting eleven, only Piergianni, McCalmont and Bahamboula (and to a lesser extent McAleny) come out of that game with any credit. 

Rowe, in the short time he was on the pitch, showed what a good player he can be.

That apart the rest of them put in shocking performances. We simply have too many lightweight and poorly skilled footballers.

Another BP horror show.

I'd love to see Bahamboula through the middle at home driving at the opposition,  he's often too isolated on the wing and our midfield isn't good enough to get the ball out to him.

Whelan and Garrity especially need to go. Neither is good enough for league football and we'd be no worse off giving someone from the youth team a go there

54 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Are we able to question our medical staff? That's twice now Dearnley has clearly been brought back when not fit enough, having to be withdrawn both times. The first one after 2 minutes against Carlisle and again tonight...

My thoughts would be that they treat injuries of course and diagnose them but with some muscular injuries etc other than scans showing issues they would need to trust the player with the recovery and how they feel. Players need to look after themselves away from the treatment table and away from the club as well. Maybe this is an issue as well? 

He hasn’t been chucked into games for 90mins he has generally (this time at least) been introduced from the bench which is the best way. If he is saying he is fine and feeling good then they’ll let the lead off and the manager will select etc. 

I didn’t watch the game.

The comments on here and on Twitter repeat a common theme and these as well as the result highlight the weaknesses in the team that are glaringly obvious.

We need:

Midfield ‘yard dogs’ who can win 2nd ball and then find a 15 yard pass to get us moving, or play the channels to give us a bit of territory and invite our better players to do their thing

A right back who can defend when we don’t have the ball and then when we get it be the recipient of the above 15 yard pass to get us moving (maybe we need a left back as well based on tonight’s comments?)

A proper centre half who can lead the line (such as the one rotting away in his new house on Teeside)

What we find out today is we’ve dragged a winger out of Coventry’s reserves. 

This is a concern to me  because it likely means we will be losing one of our forward players (and it won’t be DKD or Grant), suggesting that signings are likely to be replacements rather than additions. A sobering though as no club would go anywhere near anyone in our squad other than the front four

We must have the weakest midfield in the division. No physical presence amongst any of them! We are crying out for a ‘Chris McCann’ type of player in there. Obviously it doesn’t have to be him, but we need an experienced midfield general who can put his foot on the ball, pick a pass, rally his teammates when they need to take a game by the scruff of its neck, leave his foot in the odd tackle.

Any opposing manager worth his salt will be telling his midfield to get amongst us, bully us, impose themselves on our lot because they haven’t got the physicality to fight back.

Our defence is overworked because of it, and our forwards have done superb to score the number of goals they have done because at times the service has been absolutely abysmal.

As bad as Garrity's been (and it's bad and seems to be getting worse), Whelan gets taken off at half time in a lot of the games he starts and deservedly so.  Whelan's better on the ball (not difficult) but he seems to go missing and at least Garrity goes looking for the ball, although when he gets it I'd rather he didn't.

McCalmont is better than both but goes missing too often as well.  I like the energy that DKD brings to the side but he's too lightweight and gives the ball away too often.

As limited a player as he is, we really miss Ntambwe's physicality when he's not there.  But if he's the player that our midfield needs in order to function then it shows that we need to overhaul it and start again.

45 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As bad as Garrity's been (and it's bad and seems to be getting worse), Whelan gets taken off at half time in a lot of the games he starts and deservedly so.  Whelan's better on the ball (not difficult) but he seems to go missing and at least Garrity goes looking for the ball, although when he gets it I'd rather he didn't.

McCalmont is better than both but goes missing too often as well.  I like the energy that DKD brings to the side but he's too lightweight and gives the ball away too often.

As limited a player as he is, we really miss Ntambwe's physicality when he's not there.  But if he's the player that our midfield needs in order to function then it shows that we need to overhaul it and start again.

In short.

Non of the midfield is good enough. (Bam aside) 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

In short.

Non of the midfield is good enough. (Bam aside) 

Pretty much!  😄

Pragmatically though we can't get rid of all of them until the summer, so I'd ship out Whelan and send back Garrity and add 2 new players to the other 3.

I think that sums up why the playoffs are unrealistic, despite us having some quality players for this level there are too many across the whole squad who would need to be upgraded in too short a period of time.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

If we were in the game but making silly defensive errors then that's a more simple fix (better defenders). But we're being regularly dominated and overrun in midfield.  So a tactical change needed and quite a few new players needed in defence and midfield.

Lawlor made errors last night, but I'm going to offer a bit of a defence for him (more than the rest of the team). Mansfield had several free headers in the penalty area before they scored, so it's not a huge surprise Lawlor took it upon himself to try and make a clearance.  It was poor and cost a goal, but I can understand why he did it.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Pretty much!  😄

Pragmatically though we can't get rid of all of them until the summer, so I'd ship out Whelan and send back Garrity and add 2 new players to the other 3.

I think that sums up why the playoffs are unrealistic, despite us having some quality players for this level there are too many across the whole squad who would need to be upgraded in too short a period of time.

Whelan on 2 year contract so don't think he'll be going anywhere.

29 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

ILawlor made errors last night, but I'm going to offer a bit of a defence for him (more than the rest of the team). Mansfield had several free headers in the penalty area before they scored, so it's not a huge surprise Lawlor took it upon himself to try and make a clearance.  It was poor and cost a goal, but I can understand why he did it.

Yes, but a lot of the free headers opposing teams have had against us have been on or inside the 6 yard box, and a keeper more confident in the air and his ability to catch a ball, would at least have come for some of them, instead of staying rooted to the goal line, or like last night frustrated by his own inadequacies succumbing to a rush of blood to the head, and chasing out after an impossible ball.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Reckon the keeper has saved us more points than he's cost us, the lads in front of him are the problem.

He's a great shot stopper, and made a fine save second half from that shot that went through the legs of CBJ, but his indecision with high balls is just another contributory  factor in the shakiness of our defence. 

19 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Yes, but a lot of the free headers opposing teams have had against us have been on or inside the 6 yard box, and a keeper more confident in the air and his ability to catch a ball, would at least have come for some of them, instead of staying rooted to the goal line, or like last night frustrated by his own inadequacies succumbing to a rush of blood to the head, and chasing out after an impossible ball.

I’m not saying he should take no blame, just that indecision is exaggerated when you have little confidence in those in front of you. 

55 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If we were in the game but making silly defensive errors then that's a more simple fix (better defenders). But we're being regularly dominated and overrun in midfield.  So a tactical change needed and quite a few new players needed in defence and midfield.

Lawlor made errors last night, but I'm going to offer a bit of a defence for him (more than the rest of the team). Mansfield had several free headers in the penalty area before they scored, so it's not a huge surprise Lawlor took it upon himself to try and make a clearance.  It was poor and cost a goal, but I can understand why he did it.

Free headers were about four yards out he should be catching them. After the third time he stayed gorilla glued to his line when the ball was within arms reach he recieved a perfectly audible bollocking from HK. Lawlor then decided that being told his shit scaredness to catch a ball that is within arms reach had crept back into his game (it went away for a few weeks) means he should now abandon his net and charge stupidly around his area on the next chance he gets. Good shot stopper. Dracula on crosses.

Archived