MATCH: vs Walsall (A) 16/01/21

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team from the home defeat to Walsall just over a month ago:

Lawlor, Fage, Clarke, Piergianni, CBJ, Ntambwe, Bahamboula, Garrity, McCalmont, McAleny, Grant

subs used: DKD, Barnett, Dearnley

It was a game in which we hit the woodwork three times (Walsall also hit the post), gave away a penalty (needless push by Fage) and an own goal (Lawlor pushing the ball against Piergianni) and were maybe unlucky to lose. It was also notable for two assists from Bahamboula.

I expect that the starting eleven for today’s return fixture will be similar with Rowe in for Grant and Hilssner in for Garrity. That just leaves the goalkeeping position - is it time to replace our enigmatic incumbent with Bilboe? 

We will know at 2pm today. 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Team from the home defeat to Walsall just over a month ago:

Lawlor, Fage, Clarke, Piergianni, CBJ, Ntambwe, Bahamboula, Garrity, McCalmont, McAleny, Grant

subs used: DKD, Barnett, Dearnley

It was a game in which we hit the woodwork three times (Walsall also hit the post), gave away a penalty (needless push by Fage) and an own goal (Lawlor pushing the ball against Piergianni) and were maybe unlucky to lose. It was also notable for two assists from Bahamboula.

I expect that the starting eleven for today’s return fixture will be similar with Rowe in for Grant and Hilssner in for Garrity. That just leaves the goalkeeping position - is it time to replace our enigmatic incumbent with Bilboe? 

We will know at 2pm today. 

Hillsner a centre mid then? l really know absolutely nothing about him and was being led to believe he is a winger? 

Regards Lawlor, l'd stick with him, he's at a make or break moment and dropping him could be a career breaker. Hopefully theres been some honest assessment and a penny drop moment. Thinking about it, he also does that highly unusual feet first thing too, so maybe he is just too soft to be a goalie.

16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Hillsner a centre mid then? l really know absolutely nothing about him and was being led to believe he is a winger? 

Regards Lawlor, l'd stick with him, he's at a make or break moment and dropping him could be a career breaker. Hopefully theres been some honest assessment and a penny drop moment. Thinking about it, he also does that highly unusual feet first thing too, so maybe he is just too soft to be a goalie.

I think you’re correct and Hilssner is a winger - so it could be that Garrity makes the team at the expense of DKD. 
If Lawlor retains his place then he seriously needs to improve aspects of his game.
The main thing for me today is that Rowe and McAleny start up top 🙏

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

With that defence could we be looking at a high scoring game today? 🤔

I infer a dig here at Tom's defensive prowess, but perhaps credit for the pace / creativity offered by Tom and CBJ.

Jombati hasnt done much wrong, best right back option we have.

Just glad to see Danny starting, along with Ntambwe, certainly two names in our best 11, when everyone is fit in my view.

Pleased to have Jameson back fit enough to be in the squad, he did look good earlier in the season.

In spite if the hopeless decision making which cost us against Mansfield, I do keep faith with CBJ and Lawlor, the latter having fragile confidence it seems.

Steadfast refusal to catch the ball is baffling.

Well, that's a line up no one could have predicted. I'm really worried about the defence, though. We know Jombati is no CB and Hamer had a rough time earlier in the season. On the plus side, there's no DKD, Garrity or Whelan in the starting XI and it keeps Fage away from the RB slot. After the Mansfield showing, I swore I wouldn't fork out another tenner, but I'm wavering now, mainly because I want to see Hilssner in action.

35 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Although Baha should always play for me. 

Agree but he did look tired the other night and he's the only one who actually runs with the ball all the time. So he probably needs a rest. Glad he's made wholesale changes today. Sends out a message that it won't be tolerated. Although I wonder what bolboe is thinkin he has to do to get a game after lawlers performance the other night

Archived