Kilkenny coming home ?

Looks like Neil may be coming back on a loan or even permanent deal.

This could be the signing that makes our season !!

Lets hope so

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?...;mid=2132638884

be 'perfick' in my book that!!! i think that we'd also see a more adult version of the one that was here three(?) seasons ago!!

that and didn't he get a few premier games under his belt too? think he may actually appear to be better than donny's boy wonder too!! fingers crossed eh?

Looks like Neil may be coming back on a loan or even permanent deal.

This could be the signing that makes our season !!

Lets hope so

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?...;mid=2132638884

That would be a great signing. If he controls his temperament (I never saw anyone else yelling at Eyresey and chewing him off!!) but keeps the passion and doesn't get up the refs' noses, he will out-Wellens Wellens.

To be honest gents, this is not new news... will belive it when i see it... Kilkenny would be no1 on my signing list, however it is pretty public knowlege about him wanting to return to the NW, and his Mrs living round the corner from BP.... every week there is a sighting of him in oldham for obvious reasons... but so far there has been nothing more than speculation...

The only confirmed club that is speaking to him is Ipswich... would be ana absolute coup, but has been mentioned for the whole close season and nothing has happened yet...

For me also he would not play in the wellens position... we have out CM's already - he would eb Mr Liddells replacement.... with him and Crissy told to get inside and interchange as much as possible....

He would be a great signing, definately got a mouth on him which will do the team more good than worse. Don't see it as a bad thing so long as he can control it. Rocastle found it very hard last season to do that.

If he signed I'd see the midfield being Taylor Kilkenny Kalala Liddell would there be enough experience?

He would be a great signing, definately got a mouth on him which will do the team more good than worse. Don't see it as a bad thing so long as he can control it. Rocastle found it very hard last season to do that.

If he signed I'd see the midfield being Taylor Kilkenny Kalala Liddell would there be enough experience?

Allotts been bought cos Johnny boy rates him highly as a midfielder not just for the fun of it so i'm sure he will be one of his first central midfield names on the sheet,which makes the rest interesting,someones missing out if we take it Kilkenny is going to be the creative heart should he come.There would have to be some shuffling around.

Gary Mac still around as well.

All makes for good competition in the engine room.

Allotts been bought cos Johnny boy rates him highly as a midfielder not just for the fun of it so i'm sure he will be one of his first central midfield names on the sheet,which makes the rest interesting,someones missing out if we take it Kilkenny is going to be the creative heart should he come.There would have to be some shuffling around.

i have a real feeling that shez could go to the 3-5-2 formation, becuase he did say start of last season he enjoyed working with that formation at reserve level

but who woould play where is the question?

crossley- in net obviously

thompson, gregan, stam - the centre backs

eardley and taylor - the wing backs

allott, gary mac, and kalala - the 3 centre midfielders

and upfront at first i would play ricketts and davies because hughes has been out of the game for a while, so give him a few reserve games first

back to the kilkenny debate it would bring more competition for places and i feel it would be a brilliant signing

but the question is, is it just a rumour or is he on shezas list

back to the kilkenny debate it would bring more competition for places and i feel it would be a brilliant signing

but the question is, is it just a rumour or is he on shezas list

It's not just a rumour as it was mentioned in the press (the Chron) that Shez was interested in bringing him back.

I think he would be a great signing for us even if we only got him on a season long loan initially, to me he would be (along with a Left Back) the final pieces in the jigsaw.

Although I have to agree with Bigfinlatic on this one as I think we have been trying to make some sort of deal happen for quite a while now and so far we haven't been able to pull it off.

I dont know what the stumbling block is (probably money) lets just hope it's not insurmountable and we can make it happen.

He is just the creative sort of midfielder we need to pull the strings around Allott and Kalala.

From t'chron today - Interesting reading... thanks again Chris!

Oldham Evening Chronicle - Monday, 16 July, 2007

Kilkenny still on Latics’ wish list

FIRM FAVOURITE: Athletic want to bring Neil Kilkenny back to Boundary Park.

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC insist they are firmly in the hunt for Birmingham City midfielder Neil Kilkenny — even though their hopes of signing him were dented by Chris Porter’s controversial exit.

The Chronicle can reveal that Birmingham City asked about taking Porter as part of a deal to bring Kilkenny back to Boundary Park.

The potential swap failed to come off and Porter instead moved to Scottish side Motherwell, denying Athletic any compensation as it was a cross-border transfer.

But club officials continue to chase the talented Kilkenny (21), who is available for a long-term loan.

Managing director Simon Corney admitted: “We’ve spoken to Neil on more than one occasion and he knows how keen we are to sign him.

“The difficulty is that he has played about 25 games in the Premiership, so working something out financially isn’t going to be easy.

“There’s no way we can afford to buy him, but I know he enjoyed it here last time and quite likes the idea of coming back.

“Birmingham were interested in signing Chris Porter in exchange, but obviously that didn’t happen — now we are competing with a few other clubs, but we are doing our best and you never know.”

Kilkenny, an England Youth international and former Arsenal trainee, made 34 appearances for Athletic in season 2004/05.

During his loan spell he was a popular figure on and off the pitch, going on to make his Premiership debut the following year.

Athletic are looking to boost their midfield ranks despite already bringing in Mark Allott from Chesterfield and JP Kalala from Yeovil.

Manager John Sheridan is also in need of a left-back, but the gap may be filled by ex-Derby County man Paul Boertien.

Having been released in May, Boertien (28) is training at Boundary Park in the hope of earning a permanent deal.

He played more than 120 games for Derby, only for his career to be badly interrupted by injuries until last season.

Athletic trainees Danny Knight and KC Owen have been called up by Wales under-19s and are hoping to play against Israel and Chile in a competition staged in Northern Ireland later this month.

Guest sheridans_world
From t'chron today - Interesting reading... thanks again Chris!

Oldham Evening Chronicle - Monday, 16 July, 2007

Far to many better things to spend the money on. KK's wages are not going to be cheap. Especially on a long term deal. Let Ipswich have him!

Consider me on the war path about him!

Edited by sheridans_world

Far to many better things to spend the money on. KK's wages are not going to be cheap. Especially on a long term deal. Let Ipswich have him!

Consider me on the war path about him!

Please tell us all agin why you are so scared of this super talented, young, international player joining our club again S_W?? Especially when we are totally looking for a skillful, right footed CM/RW???

Oh... and any reference to him having "a bad attitude"... now he is sat in a dressing room with a manager like shez, and leaders like gregan and crossley are both instantly disregarded... and insulting to our club... oh and Corney states here that we will not bring him in if financially impossible???

Do tell?? :wink:

Edited by BigfinLatic

“Birmingham were interested in signing Chris Porter in exchange, but obviously that didn’t happen — now we are competing with a few other clubs, but we are doing our best and you never know.”

So, Porter could have gone to a Premiership club. Just shows his complete and utter lack of ambition by going to 'nowhereville' and also what an utter prat he is.

Will we be seeing a loan deal with Birmingham?

Guest sheridans_world
Please tell us all agin why you are so scared of this super talented, young, international player joining our club again S_W?? Especially when we are totally looking for a skillful, right footed CM/RW???

Oh... and any reference to him having "a bad attitude"... now he is sat in a dressing room with a manager like shez, and leaders like gregan and crossley are both instantly disregarded... and insulting to our club... oh and Corney states here that we will not bring him in if financially impossible???

Do tell?? :wink:

I'll take a left footed CM.

When was the last time he played in the England first team? (Sorry Under-19's/21's are not international's, yet)

Played in the greedy league. Emphasis on greedy. We wont be able to bring him in, wages too high. Would stop us getting other players. Also i would like to add that i didnt mention his 'bad attitude'. :grin:

P.s. Not scared, just wary.

I'll take a left footed CM.

When was the last time he played in the England first team? (Sorry Under-19's/21's are not international's, yet)

Played in the greedy league. Emphasis on greedy. We wont be able to bring him in, wages too high. Would stop us getting other players. Also i would like to add that i didnt mention his 'bad attitude'. :grin:

P.s. Not scared, just wary.

Not up to speed S_W.... KK is now and Australian International! KK Down Under!

No way mate - totally disagree... if we bring him in it will be as he is in budget as Corney says... Shez said on friday he wants a LB and CM - thats it... feeling his cards have just been revealed in Boertien and Kilkenny....

Losing him for Oz internationals would be my only worry!

Although i think Kilkenny will be a decent signing should it come off i do hope his attitude has improved. But i don't think he will be playing on the right wing. He is not a winger. Liddell will do fine out there with Rickets and eventually Hughes there to get on the end of his crosses. He may not be the quickest but there is no denying he is a fantastic player who has the ability to put in quality balls for our strikers

Guest sheridans_world
Not up to speed S_W.... KK is now and Australian International! KK Down Under!

No way mate - totally disagree... if we bring him in it will be as he is in budget as Corney says... Shez said on friday he wants a LB and CM - thats it... feeling his cards have just been revealed in Boertien and Kilkenny....

Losing him for Oz internationals would be my only worry!

Under 23's, not an international yet...

I see what you say i just feel we need a RW or a LW with pace rather than an overpaid 21 year old from the premiership. Blitz said it himself 'the sale of Porter will not affect this years budget but will affect next years'. If we can sign someone who can do the job as a RW or someone as a LW then save the cash and make a little more available for next season?

Also Not a fan of season long loans anyway.