BPAS PODCAST: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO

NEW EPISODE: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO

Karl Evans is back and we cover a lot of ground in this in-depth two hour interview. We cover issues including the North Stand and Stadium Sale, Abdallah's interview, Mo & Player recruitment, Barry Owen's role, the youth Academy, the new badge design, Trust Oldham, Karl on Twitter and of course; what the hell is going on with David Wheater?

You can join in the conversation by emailing your messages, questions, rants and voice messages to bpalertsystem@gmail.com.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

• Like 1

• Matt featured this topic

Half way through, pick it up again later need my hair to grow a bit so I can tear it out again!

Great stuff Matt suffice to say you'd make a better Sporting Director than Mo!

The Wheater and North Stand stuff is driving me mad listening to all the shite reasons and excuses - just want Abdallah etc gone whatever the outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

TWO HOURS 😳😳😳😳

Never listened to one before, think l'll dive in on this..

We normally keep the pod to an hour or thereabouts, but we've released this one unedited as we thought it deserved it. There's lots of other episodes worth going back over Monty, we've pulled out some of them in Featured posts in here: Hope you enjoy them.

Edited by Dublinoafc

7 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Half way through, pick it up again later need my hair to grow a bit so I can tear it out again!

Great stuff Matt suffice to say you'd make a better Sporting Director than Mo!

The Wheater and North Stand stuff is driving me mad listening to all the shite reasons and excuses - just want Abdallah etc gone whatever the outcome.

Thanks for your feedback Mick. What we're trying to do is get people talking. We want Karl & the club to understand how the fans feel and how the club is perceived. Your comments are as valid as anybody else's in that regard. I do my best to get that over in the pod.

Equally, we think it important that as many voices as possible are heard, including the club's - and I thank Karl for giving his time up to talk to me at length - so we are able to hear what challenges he & the club face.

• Like 1

Accidentally turned if off with about 40mins left but will probably finish it later. l don't usually listen to stuff like that, thats only my third one (the others being that Anthony Gerrard one and that Sir Brian Cox Bournemouth one) but l agree yes that needed to be unedited. Further murked the Wheater waters but leads us to the conclusion that wheater isnt trying hard enough, whilst being 'thoroughly professional' by turning up every day.

Defensive of his paymaster and l found the 'having an affair with Oldham Athletic' line a lttle bit mouthsicky kind of like we should be grateful hes lettin us suck his cock eww 🤮.

Agree 'the team is underachieving, C- maybe even a D' it doesn't need much its just whether we are going to get it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Interesting that he said Wheater couldn't play at Blackburn because it was n 4G (I know one of the Blackburn coaches and he said it was played on grass, but that's by the by) but they still have him training on the 4G at Avro with the youth team every day...

What is interesting is this is the only thing that you took from the interview and you seem to know a lot about said game and the twitter user Dmaarms was the only one that wanted this game questioning to the CEO

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

What is interesting is this is the only thing that you took from the interview and you seem to know a lot about said game and the twitter user Dmaarms was the only one that wanted this game questioning to the CEO

It isn't the only thing I took from the interview. It is the only thing I posted about on here. Two completely different things...

20 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Hi Pete, we're keen to hear as many opinions as possible, what did you take from the interview?

8 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

That was a great listen, wonder what ALMO take from it. 

Thanks Andy. Thanks for listening. Be sure to catch up on any previous episodes that catch your eye, if you haven't already that is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dublinoafc said:

Hi Pete, we're keen to hear as many opinions as possible, what did you take from the interview?

Lots to be honest, i thought it was very good. I found it refreshing there seems to be a plan which revolves around youth and the academy in particular. Also good that Karl feels he has a lot to offer on the North Stand situation. The Wheater situation is no clearer unfortunately but it seems there is issues around fitness but what was clear is he isn't in the plans so maybe it's time to move on from that. Also good to get an understanding of the difficulties the club faces on a daily basis coping with Covid and a nice bit of transparency regarding the finances etc. All the whole i found it a really good listen.

• Like 1

• Matt changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO
8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Lots to be honest, i thought it was very good. I found it refreshing there seems to be a plan which revolves around youth and the academy in particular. Also good that Karl feels he has a lot to offer on the North Stand situation. The Wheater situation is no clearer unfortunately but it seems there is issues around fitness but what was clear is he isn't in the plans so maybe it's time to move on from that. Also good to get an understanding of the difficulties the club faces on a daily basis coping with Covid and a nice bit of transparency regarding the finances etc. All the whole i found it a really good listen.

Thanks for the feedback & thanks for listening Pete. I guess there are quite a few supporters out there who's opinions are formed from a deep rooted mistrust dating back many years. I tried to raise the issue of 'perception' with Karl on the pod. What we hope is that by talking more we can address some of these issues collectively, to be able to move on. It does however require everyone to be honest.

32 minutes ago, PeteG said:

....I found it refreshing there seems to be a plan which revolves around youth and the academy in particular......

...is there? Karl seemed to be going off piste (and good on him) to me in an attempt to bring the Academy & Paul Murray into the bosom of the club, given that it had, and I quote...

"...it's been left to drift....".

This all under the watch of our great Sporting Director. What Sporting Director who was any good, wouldn't be working closely with the Academy?

"Mo tends to concentrate on recruitment & training the 1st team, he does have an interest [sic in the Academy], but I don't think he's got that skill set"

WTAF?

• Like 3

So in conclusion with the Wheater situation.

Hes fit, hes not fit

He's professional hes not professional. It's all his fault its Harry Kewells choice Harry Kewell says it's down to the club.

So that cleared up nothing. 

It's bad enough that Mo is involved in recruitment nevermind first team training :petesake:

Tbf Karl isn't the root cause of the above issues we all know who really is the problem there.

He seemed to get bogged down with stuff on twitter which seemed unnecessary such as when we only 400 likes for something is that really important. Has stayed off twitter I don't blame him for that. 

It doesn't bother me in the slightest hes a man united fan at heart. He is having to work under the covid restrictions which is tough enough for a normal business nevermind something as complex as a football club.

Their were a couple of positives

He said that he has tried to get board meetings to be more about the important topics of what they should be discussing which shows he might be prepared to push them to be more professional. That should be an expectation I know but the standards are so low at the football club that we have to take things like this as a positive. He has met with push the boundary and the Trust thats his second appearance Ion that podcast and would seem to happy to do a fans forum so he does seem keen to engage. He also says the North stand issues can be resolved.

In fairness to Karl alot of the problems are from the Lemsagams and the previous owners and do pre-date his time at the club too. It can'tbe easy at all to try to bring the owners and the fanbase together when we are so far apart. Their was something their to suggest he might be worth keeping around if we changed owners.

Thanks for doing the podcast Dublin.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

A really good podcast as always - thought your style of questioning/interviewing made the interview a really enjoyable listen. 

The Wheater situation is farcical. On the one hand he’s just unfit but on the other hand he’s not going to play for the club again. I know it’s boring to be still talking about it, and it’s clearly not the major point in the interview, but these are exactly the kind of issues which will continue to negatively impact fans’ opinions of the regime.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I can’t believe people still comment on Wheater. Of all the problems at the club his situation isn’t one of them. 

I’ll have a listen later Dublin, cheers. 

Of course it’s a problem. Even aside from our dreadful defensive record and the shoddy communication coming out of the club about it, it’s another example of the powers that be falling out with an experienced pro. It’s not THE problem but it’s certainly a problem.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, south east latic said:

A really good podcast as always - thought your style of questioning/interviewing made the interview a really enjoyable listen. 

The Wheater situation is farcical. On the one hand he’s just unfit but on the other hand he’s not going to play for the club again. I know it’s boring to be still talking about it, and it’s clearly not the major point in the interview, but these are exactly the kind of issues which will continue to negatively impact fans’ opinions of the regime.

Thanks SEL, appreciate the feedback. I did my best to convey how these issues affect people's perception and why I felt it important to raise them.

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I can’t believe people still comment on Wheater. Of all the problems at the club his situation isn’t one of them. 

Thanks LOF, I'd be interested to hear your feedback. To some however, I guess the Wheater situation is totemic.

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It is a problem that should have been resolved a long time ago. The fact is as long as it remains unresolved one way or the other, people will still bring it up. 

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Interesting that he said Wheater couldn't play at Blackburn because it was n 4G (I know one of the Blackburn coaches and he said it was played on grass, but that's by the by) but they still have him training on the 4G at Avro with the youth team every day...

Yep! You are 100% correct!!!!