Jump to content

BPAS PODCAST: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, disjointed said:

It is a problem that should have been resolved a long time ago. The fact is as long as it remains unresolved one way or the other, people will still bring it up. 

I think it was resolved in September, in their eyes anyway...

 

What's the player doing in all this? Is he really going sit out 18 months of his career for the sake of a few grand? Doesn't say much about him if he is IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have almost got to the end of this episode.   Thanks to Matt for all the brilliant work he does in bringing the podcast to us each week. It’s always entertaining, relevant and interesting

We need to move on from it, because it's dragged on for long enough, but it should be remembered how it's all unravelled (or is still unravelling).  On it's own it's probably an issue we can overlook

So I’ve listened Matt, and firstly I thought you came across really well. Thoughtful, balanced, and challenged when and where you could. Karl was more open and honest than I thought, (in part to your

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

I can’t believe people still comment on Wheater. Of all the problems at the club his situation isn’t one of them. 

 

We need to move on from it, because it's dragged on for long enough, but it should be remembered how it's all unravelled (or is still unravelling).  On it's own it's probably an issue we can overlook - combine it with all the other player and staff fall-outs and one might see that as evidence that it's not "them" that's the problem.  

 

It was a good interview on the podcast, conducted in the right tone.

 

I think having Karl on board will be more beneficial than not in the club's current guise, but there does seem to be signs that the old "us versus the fans" mentality is still in place (and fair play to Matt for pointing out how that might be coming across).

 

I'm not in the flush of youth anymore and not as engaged with social media as perhaps younger generations are, but it does surprise me that people with obviously a certain level of intelligence like Karl and even Corney get wound up by what people say to them on social media.  Why would you give much credence to someone's opinion who you don't know and you think comes across as a bit of a knob?

 

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, disjointed said:

It is a problem that should have been resolved a long time ago. The fact is as long as it remains unresolved one way or the other, people will still bring it up. 

 

I’ll rephrase. 

 

I’m suprised people still dissect Karl, when it’s blatantly obvious why he’s contradicting himself, and further that people still think this is a solely ALMO issue. It just isn’t, it happens regularly at clubs when players and clubs fall out. 
 

We asked him to compromise. 
 

He said no. 
 

Both sides blame each other, and Karl gets to look silly playing piggy in the middle. That’s it. 
 

We just need to move on. The issues are far bigger and deeper than one player IMO. 
 


 

 

 


 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

 

We need to move on from it, because it's dragged on for long enough, but it should be remembered how it's all unravelled (or is still unravelling).  On it's own it's probably an issue we can overlook - combine it with all the other player and staff fall-outs and one might see that as evidence that it's not "them" that's the problem.  

 

It was a good interview on the podcast, conducted in the right tone.

 

I think having Karl on board will be more beneficial than not in the club's current guise, but there does seem to be signs that the old "us versus the fans" mentality is still in place (and fair play to Matt for pointing out how that might be coming across).

 

I'm not in the flush of youth anymore and not as engaged with social media as perhaps younger generations are, but it does surprise me how wound up people with obviously a certain level of intelligence like Karl and even Corney get wound up by what people say to them on social media.  Why would you give much credence to someone's opinion who you don't know and you think comes across as a bit of a knob?

Yeah, your last paragraph is spot on. 
 

I suppose there is a marked difference between academic intelligence and emotional intelligence. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

 

I’ll rephrase. 

 

I’m suprised people still dissect Karl, when it’s blatantly obvious why he’s contradicting himself, and further that people still think this is a solely ALMO issue. It just isn’t, it happens regularly at clubs when players and clubs fall out. 
 

We asked him to compromise. 
 

He said no. 
 

Both sides blame each other, and Karl gets to look silly playing piggy in the middle. That’s it. 
 

We just need to move on. The issues are far bigger and deeper than one player IMO. 
 


 

 

 


 


 

 

I'm not apportioning blame one way or the other. I just think with a bit of wherewithal it could have been sorted a while ago. And yet Wheater is still not playing football, and training with the youths, neither party comes out smelling of roses but the issue is still around. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

 

I’ll rephrase. 

 

I’m suprised people still dissect Karl, when it’s blatantly obvious why he’s contradicting himself, and further that people still think this is a solely ALMO issue. It just isn’t, it happens regularly at clubs when players and clubs fall out. 
 

We asked him to compromise. 
 

He said no. 
 

Both sides blame each other, and Karl gets to look silly playing piggy in the middle. That’s it. 
 

We just need to move on. The issues are far bigger and deeper than one player IMO. 
 


 

 

 


 


 

 

Did we ask him to compromise? I thought it was Abdallah who wouldn’t compromise by saying “it would be financially irresponsible” of him to top up the players wages beyond the furlough money paid by the government. 
 



 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, League one forever said:

I can’t believe people still comment on Wheater. Of all the problems at the club his situation isn’t one of them. 
 

I’ll have a listen later Dublin, cheers. 

Yes but it’s illustrative of the way the club is run. Sometimes something can be symbolic and highlight important issues without being that important in its own right. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, League one forever said:

 

I’ll rephrase. 

 

I’m suprised people still dissect Karl, when it’s blatantly obvious why he’s contradicting himself, and further that people still think this is a solely ALMO issue. It just isn’t, it happens regularly at clubs when players and clubs fall out. 
 

We asked him to compromise. 
 

He said no. 
 

Both sides blame each other, and Karl gets to look silly playing piggy in the middle. That’s it. 
 

We just need to move on. The issues are far bigger and deeper than one player IMO. 
 


 

 

 


 


 

 

No. You don’t just brush these things under the carpet. That’s what the club wants you to do 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thing came out of the bit where he talked about Barry.  Karl said they'd had crossed words and implied it was just because he stands up to Barry and tells him when he thinks he's in the wrong.  All good.  But he then went on to say that more timid people in his role previously had just gone along with Barry "and when it's maybe gone wrong, they've had to take the stick themselves unfairly".

 

The last bit is a direct quote, and I don't think I've got the inference of the rest of it wrong.  It's pretty staggering.  That Barry would insist on a course of action, that then proved to be wrong/damaging, and others would have to take the stick for it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dublinoafc said:

NEW EPISODE: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO

 

Karl Evans is back and we cover a lot of ground in this in-depth two hour interview. We cover issues including the North Stand and Stadium Sale, Abdallah's interview, Mo & Player recruitment, Barry Owen's role, the youth Academy, the new badge design, Trust Oldham, Karl on Twitter and of course; what the hell is going on with David Wheater?

 

 

 

 

 

Another great episode, thanks Matt.  Thought the questions were really well thought out and the follow ups too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Yes but it’s illustrative of the way the club is run. Sometimes something can be symbolic and highlight important issues without being that important in its own right. 

That’s a fair point about symbolism. But it does depend from which perspective your looking at it.

 

What does his situation symbolise in your view? 
 

The only damaging perspective I can see is from potential signings, but you put enough money in front of most players (particularly at our level) and I would argue they wouldn’t give a toss about Wheater’s ‘treatment.’ 
 

From my fan perspective I couldn’t care less about a player who was bang average, who played in a side that finished bottom six, and while playing last season was very poor value for money in a limited budget. If the player was our top scorer I may feel differently. Why? Because I’m fickle and I just want a winning football team. 
 

54 minutes ago, Andy b said:

No. You don’t just brush these things under the carpet. That’s what the club wants you to do 

Brush what things? A private dispute between a player and the club. That has got nothing to do with you, I or anybody else. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another good listen, but after years off tossing about by the powers that be it’s going to take more than a few heart to hearts with Karl to change minds. However it’s a start, keep calling them to account and some day we might just get the truth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, League one forever said:

That’s a fair point about symbolism. But it does depend from which perspective your looking at it.

 

What does his situation symbolise in your view? 
 

The only damaging perspective I can see is from potential signings, but you put enough money in front of most players (particularly at our level) and I would argue they wouldn’t give a toss about Wheater’s ‘treatment.’ 
 

From my fan perspective I couldn’t care less about a player who was bang average, who played in a side that finished bottom six, and while playing last season was very poor value for money in a limited budget. If the player was our top scorer I may feel differently. Why? Because I’m fickle and I just want a winning football team. 
 

Brush what things? A private dispute between a player and the club. That has got nothing to do with you, I or anybody else. 

 

Agree he’s average but he would be our best defender.

 

it is symbolic of a continued strategy of freezing out players who have something to offer. Why does it keep happening and is still happening. There’s your bigger picture issue 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Agree he’s average but he would be our best defender.

 

it is symbolic of a continued strategy of freezing out players who have something to offer. Why does it keep happening and is still happening. There’s your bigger picture issue 

I don’t think it’s players who have something to offer, it’s players who say no or challenge him. He has proved he has no ability to see the bigger picture and will cut his nose off to spite his face. It wouldn’t surprise if part of AL’s anger is his own decision in giving him a fat contract. But he has a habit of not knowing what he’s paying for. He’s clearly very authoritarian, but as a punter his style doesn’t really concern me- winning football matches does. And in pure footballing terms there is no proof Wheater would make any huge difference. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Interesting thing came out of the bit where he talked about Barry.  Karl said they'd had crossed words and implied it was just because he stands up to Barry and tells him when he thinks he's in the wrong.  All good.  But he then went on to say that more timid people in his role previously had just gone along with Barry "and when it's maybe gone wrong, they've had to take the stick themselves unfairly".

 

The last bit is a direct quote, and I don't think I've got the inference of the rest of it wrong.  It's pretty staggering.  That Barry would insist on a course of action, that then proved to be wrong/damaging, and others would have to take the stick for it.

 

 

 

Isn't this Barry to a tee though? Must be heard above everyone else's voice but then happy to pin the blame on others if it goes wrong.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

And in pure footballing terms there is no proof Wheater would make any huge difference. 
 

 

You’ve said this before and I still don’t really understand. 
 

If fit and motivated, he’d make a huge difference surely? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think it’s players who have something to offer, it’s players who say no or challenge him. He has proved he has no ability to see the bigger picture and will cut his nose off to spite his face. It wouldn’t surprise if part of AL’s anger is his own decision in giving him a fat contract. But he has a habit of not knowing what he’s paying for. He’s clearly very authoritarian, but as a punter his style doesn’t really concern me- winning football matches does. And in pure footballing terms there is no proof Wheater would make any huge difference. 
 

 

My point isn’t that he is cutting out players because they have something to offer rather, as matter of fact, a number of the players he has cut out do happen to have something to offer. There’s a big difference. 

 

I will leave others to judge whether DW would offer something or not. Goals against might give you a clue to my personal view on that.

Edited by Andy b
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will listen tomorrow, looking forward to it. 
 

On the Wheater situation, it’s shit how he’s not playing, simply put we need him playing, for those who disagree go look at how many goals we concede and simple goals at that. 
 

But the issue is not just Wheater here and now, players speak. Especially with the turnover of players at lower league clubs. They all know each other and failing know someone through each other. Basically, our reputation is being dragged through the mud, this isn’t the first time let’s be honest. No matter who you think is to blame for this situation, if a player has an equal contact between us and another club, they are not coming to us. We are at a disadvantage because of the clown and his two chums Mo and Big Barry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy b said:

My point isn’t that he is cutting out players because they have something to offer rather, as matter of fact, a number of the players he is cutting out happen to have something to offer. There’s a big difference. 

 

I will others to judge whether DW would offer something or not. Goals against might give you a clue to my personal view on that.

You’ve lost me Andy. 

To me, the common theme is players who won’t do as their told or challenge him. 

 

Who is the number of players other than Wheater? I’m only aware of him in the last 12 months. I know there were quite a few in his first year in charge- Gerrard/Byrne/Davies. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Will listen tomorrow, looking forward to it. 
 

On the Wheater situation, it’s shit how he’s not playing, simply put we need him playing, for those who disagree go look at how many goals we concede and simple goals at that. 
 

But the issue is not just Wheater here and now, players speak. Especially with the turnover of players at lower league clubs. They all know each other and failing know someone through each other. Basically, our reputation is being dragged through the mud, this isn’t the first time let’s be honest. No matter who you think is to blame for this situation, if a player has an equal contact between us and another club, they are not coming to us. We are at a disadvantage because of the clown and his two chums Mo and Big Barry. 

Your always a better player out of the side. He played in nearly every game last season in a side that finished in the bottom six. 
 

Why does that keep getting forgotten? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’ve lost me Andy. 

To me, the common theme is players who won’t do as their told or challenge him. 

 

Who is the number of players other than Wheater? I’m only aware of him in the last 12 months. I know there were quite a few in his first year in charge- Gerrard/Byrne/Davies. 
 

 

Nepo. Gardner. Point is it’s still happening isn’t it. And I agree with the reason why he is doing it (as far as we know) but it doesn’t appear to happen at other clubs to the same degree.

 

What if Rowe or Dearnley says something which AL doesn’t take kindly to next week? That’s no way to run an organisation. It’s an issue for me and I wouldn’t be playing it down in the way you are suggesting

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Your always a better player out of the side. He played in nearly every game last season in a side that finished in the bottom six. 
 

Why does that keep getting forgotten? 

Jonny smith played in that team. Would you not bother with him either? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Nepo. Gardner. Point is it’s still happening isn’t it. And I agree with the reason why he is doing it (as far as we know) but it doesn’t appear to happen at other clubs to the same degree.

 

What if Rowe or Dearnley says something which AL doesn’t take kindly to next week? That’s no way to run an organisation. It’s an issue for me and I wouldn’t be playing it down in the way you are suggesting

I’m not playing it down. It does happen to us more than other clubs, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand how difficult it must be to work for him. But I don’t follow a support group for the treatment of footballers players. I support a football team, and the inner workings of the club and how it’s treats players and staff aren’t my primary concern. In fact, it’s non of my business. I just want to turn up on Saturday and watch us win. There is a difference between perceived nonchalance and an understanding of what one can effect. 
 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...