Jump to content

BPAS PODCAST: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Andy b said:

Jonny smith played in that team. Would you not bother with him either? 

That’s a good point. 
 

Comparing our best player (a young loan player) to our highest earner with vast experience. 
 

One affected games. The other didn’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have almost got to the end of this episode.   Thanks to Matt for all the brilliant work he does in bringing the podcast to us each week. It’s always entertaining, relevant and interesting

We need to move on from it, because it's dragged on for long enough, but it should be remembered how it's all unravelled (or is still unravelling).  On it's own it's probably an issue we can overlook

So I’ve listened Matt, and firstly I thought you came across really well. Thoughtful, balanced, and challenged when and where you could. Karl was more open and honest than I thought, (in part to your

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Your always a better player out of the side. He played in nearly every game last season in a side that finished in the bottom six. 
 

Why does that keep getting forgotten? 

We forgetting his prem appearances and Championship appearances too then ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not playing it down. It does happen to us more than other clubs, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand how difficult it must be to work for him. But I don’t follow a support group for the treatment of footballers players. I support a football team, and the inner workings of the club and how it’s treats players and staff aren’t my primary concern. In fact, it’s non of my business. I just want to turn up on Saturday and watch us win. There is a difference between perceived nonchalance and an understanding of what one can effect. 
 


 

 

Think you’ll find there is a positive correlation between a well ran club and winning football matches. You say you are interested in seeing us win football matches, must be interested in what directly influences that then ? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, League one forever said:

I’m not playing it down. It does happen to us more than other clubs, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand how difficult it must be to work for him. But I don’t follow a support group for the treatment of footballers players. I support a football team, and the inner workings of the club and how it’s treats players and staff aren’t my primary concern. In fact, it’s non of my business. I just want to turn up on Saturday and watch us win. There is a difference between perceived nonchalance and an understanding of what one can effect. 
 


 

 

There’s lots you can’t influence, including many of the bigger issues at our club which you say we should be focusing on instead of DW.


Doesn’t mean you can’t bemoan the manner in which the club is being run, including the treatment of players. It doesn’t mean you can’t attribute some weight to that treatment as the reason why we are where we are. What can we do about it? Not a massive amount, but it’s good to put the CE under the spotlight in relation to this matter as it is an issue, and a live one at that.

 

If there are things we can control/influence that our more worthy of fans focus then I am all ears. The treatment of players like DW is up

there as a big issue for me. Granted there are others equally

deserving of our attention.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s a good point. 
 

Comparing our best player (a young loan player) to our highest earner with vast experience. 
 

One affected games. The other didn’t. 

He was also part of a defence which shipped significantly fewer goals than this seasons offer. As a centre back I will judge his performance last season on that not his ‘influence on games’ whatever that means. 
 

 

Edited by Andy b
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy b said:

He was also part of a defence which shipped significantly fewer goals than this seasons offer. As a centre back I will judge his performance last season on that not his ‘influence on games’ whatever that means. 
 

 

I’d take Peter Clarke’s ‘influence on games’ over DW 
 

But, fair enough. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. 
 

8 minutes ago, Andy b said:

There’s lots you can’t influence, including many of the bigger issues at our club which you say we should be focusing on instead of DW.


Doesn’t mean you can’t bemoan the manner in which the club is being run, including the treatment of players. It doesn’t mean you can’t attribute some weight to that treatment as the reason why we are where we are. What can we do about it? Not a massive amount, but it’s good to put the CE under the spotlight in relation to this matter as it is an issue, and a live one at that.

 

If there are things we can control/influence that our more worthy of fans focus then I am all ears. The treatment of players like DW is up

there as a big issue for me. Granted there are others equally

deserving of our attention.

Good post- fair do’s. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you think he played well last season? 

Our defence was better last season compared to this. And the defence last season was better when he was in it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, League one forever said:

I’d take Peter Clarke’s ‘influence on games’ over DW 
 

But, fair enough. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one. 
 

Good post- fair do’s. 

I will agree to agree on peter Clarke. I’d also say, on balance, that DW would be less effective than Virgil Van Dijk in that regard. However that’s a moot point as neither he, nor Peter Clarke, are part of our current shower of a defence. Moreover neither are contracted players of oldham athletic at the present time nor are they likely to be in the near future. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Things I took:

 

Badge: Can he not see that you can take the current 125 years badge and simply replace the 125 with Oldham Athletic AFC. Result: Everyone's happy. I really don't know why he's deciding to overcomplicate this.

 

Wheater: It's time to move on. Club have behaved like twats. Wheater's probably not helped his case prodding the fires on social media. He isn't going to play for us, that much is clear. IMO it's an own goal by the club for being overly stubborn. 

 

Karl: Hmmm. You really had to crowbar some self-admissions out of him, didn't you @Dublinoafc? He just hates being wrong about anything, particularly the pathetic way he crawled all over the #oafc hashtag on Twitter in the initial month or so before throwing a hissy fit. The feeling I get is there is huge long-lasting damage in the relationship between club and fans. Hierarchy at the club have to remove themselves from this us vs them mindset and realise that an agreement with Blitz over the North Stand, a commitment to purchase the ground and continued investing in the playing side (including tying 3 or 4 of the obvious ones down to next season and beyond) are the key things to get right. The rest will follow, including getting more likes for a club banterpost once in a while. Fuck was he thinking getting bogged down by that?

 

Positive for me was the plan to restructure the academy setup, although the mask evidently slipped glaringly with reference to "The club have just let this slide" comment. We have to produce a Tarky or Edmunson every couple of seasons or so. 

 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
Missed shit!
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think it’s players who have something to offer, it’s players who say no or challenge him. He has proved he has no ability to see the bigger picture and will cut his nose off to spite his face. It wouldn’t surprise if part of AL’s anger is his own decision in giving him a fat contract. But he has a habit of not knowing what he’s paying for. He’s clearly very authoritarian, but as a punter his style doesn’t really concern me- winning football matches does. And in pure footballing terms there is no proof Wheater would make any huge difference. 
 

 

How can there be proof when you are speculating, however most would agree a fit Wheater even at the end of his career, would be our best defender. We have a terrible goals against for the season, but most game scores have been close enough that one goal less conceded would have given us points.  I firmly believe Wheater playing since the start of the season would have given us 4 or 5 points, and possibly more.

 

It is the owners pride which is costing us an interest in promotion this season. (There has been enough leaked for us to know HK  has been banned from playing him). Now we just have a nothing football season in the middle of one of the worst years of our lives.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

How can there be proof when you are speculating, however most would agree a fit Wheater even at the end of his career, would be our best defender. We have a terrible goals against for the season, but most game scores have been close enough that one goal less conceded would have given us points.  I firmly believe Wheater playing since the start of the season would have given us 4 or 5 points, and possibly more.

 

It is the owners pride which is costing us an interest in promotion this season. (There has been enough leaked for us to know HK  has been banned from playing him). Now we just have a nothing football season in the middle of one of the worst years of our lives.

I said he wouldn’t make a huge difference IMO. You’ve just said yourself 4/5 points - hardly storming up the league is it? 
 

Would he get in this side? Yes. 
 

Do I think he’s been a good signing, who has given us his best and been value for money. No. 
 

Being good enough to play in front of a non league plodder and a young kid on loan is hardly a ringing endorsement for someone of his supposed ability and stature. He coasted through games, and maybe that was enough to get by in this league, but I want more from my top earner. And by way of comparison I would take 38 year old Peter Clarke over DW any day of the week. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is little doubt for me that a defence that features Kyle Jameson, Carl Piergianni and Raphael Diarra would be massively strengthened by Wheater (even after 10 months without football). But, it has dragged on for far too long and would be in everyone's best interests if another league club took over his contract until the end of the season...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I said he wouldn’t make a huge difference IMO. You’ve just said yourself 4/5 points - hardly storming up the league is it? 
 

Would he get in this side? Yes. 
 

Do I think he’s been a good signing, who has given us his best and been value for money. No. 
 

Being good enough to play in front of a non league plodder and a young kid on loan is hardly a ringing endorsement for someone of his supposed ability and stature. He coasted through games, and maybe that was enough to get by in this league, but I want more from my top earner. And by way of comparison I would take 38 year old Peter Clarke over DW any day of the week. 
 

 

5 points would be 17 per cent more

points than we have right now and would put us in the top ten. That is a very significant difference by any account 

 

tell me again why would you not play a player who would have that sort of impact on your points total and league position ? 

Edited by Andy b
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JoeP said:

It was a good interview on the podcast, conducted in the right tone.

 

12 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Another great episode, thanks Matt.  Thought the questions were really well thought out and the follow ups too.

 

11 hours ago, Fervid said:

Another good listen, but after years off tossing about by the powers that be it’s going to take more than a few heart to hearts with Karl to change minds. However it’s a start, keep calling them to account and some day we might just get the truth. 

 

11 hours ago, Gerrywasagenius said:

Really Interesting listen Matt - Thanks 

 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Still got half an hour to finish on my way to work (yes I’m allowed to go to work) but another great episode Matt, top job 

 

Thank you all. Appreciate the feedback. Keep your eyes peeled for future episodes with special guests and make sure you join in the conversation by emailing your messages, questions, rants and voice messages to bpalertsystem@gmail.com & follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Edited by Dublinoafc
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Andy b said:

5 points would be 17 per cent more

points than we have right now and would put us in the top ten. That is a very significant difference by any account 

 

tell me again why would you not play a player who would have that sort of impact on your points total and league position ? 

Oh dear. . I thought we agreed to leave it Andy? No? Ok.
 

Tell me again why you can’t accept another person’s view? 
 

You claim you don’t know what ‘influence on games’ means then admit you would have a 38 year old pro in his place. You’re either being deliberately provocative, or you don’t read what you type. 4/5 points is speculation. What isn’t speculation is where we finished with him playing every game. We conceded less with him the side last season, but ultimately we lost a lot of narrow games and took a few hammerings.  This year we’ve lost a lot of high scoring games. A 1-0 defeat is the same as 3-2, but it appears you’re expectations have gone so low you’d have in the side to take a 1-0 defeat. 
 

You rate him- nice one. 
 

I don’t, he’s been a very poor signing. 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who are new to the podcast, the following episodes might grab your attention too; Two episodes with supporters of other clubs;

 

5th Oct '20 Episode 4: Making a Point

 

We're joined by the hosts of Stockport County's fan podcast, Russ & Nick as they offer us some warnings and advice about the parallels with their decline into the non-leagues and where we are now as a club.

 

16th Oct '20 Bonus Episode 2: Warning from the Orient

 

If you don't know what happened to Leyton Orient in the last few years, you may be shocked to discover that their decline into non-league football under an unpopular owner sounds VERY familiar to what is currently happening at Oldham. This episode feature Mat from the Leyton Orient Supporters Trust and editor of their Pandamonium fanzine. Pay attention Oldham fans, this could well be us he's talking about here...

 

 

Edited by Dublinoafc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two episodes with and discussing our own Trust:

 

21st Dec '20 Episode 15 Part 1: Trust Oldham Interview

 

This week's edition is a two part special focusing on the role of Trust Oldham. Part 1 is an interview conducted with Trust Oldham Chair Jason Flynn and Vice Chair Paul Hughes,  In Part 2, which is out on Wednesday, we'll be reviewing the conversation and discussing what we feel the future role of the trust could be. 

 

23rd Dec '20 Episode 15 Part 2: Trust Oldham Interview Discussion
 
Following the Trust Oldham interview from part one, we discuss what the board members had to say about where the Trust is, what's it's plans are and what we consider might be the next best moves for the organisation. 
 

 

Edited by Dublinoafc
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh dear. . I thought we agreed to leave it Andy? No? Ok.
 

Tell me again why you can’t accept another person’s view? 
 

You claim you don’t know what ‘influence on games’ means then admit you would have a 38 year old pro in his place. You’re either being deliberately provocative, or you don’t read what you type. 4/5 points is speculation. What isn’t speculation is where we finished with him playing every game. We conceded less with him the side last season, but ultimately we lost a lot of narrow games and took a few hammerings.  This year we’ve lost a lot of high scoring games. A 1-0 defeat is the same as 3-2, but it appears you’re expectations have gone so low you’d have in the side to take a 1-0 defeat. 
 

You rate him- nice one. 
 

I don’t, he’s been a very poor signing. 


 

 

Crikey you have bitten haven’t you. 
 

38 year old pro’s in whose place?

 

Pop round mate and I will give you a lesson in structuring a logical evidence based argument which avoids internal contradiction. That’s where you are struggling at the moment I feel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two episodes featuring a bit of nostalgia:

 

16th Oct '20 Episode 10: One Carss & Eleven Passengers

 

This week we were joined by former Latics midfielder Tony Carss. Tony played in the 2002/03 promotion pushing squad under Iain Dowie and he shares his thoughts on the current situation at Oldham, what it was like to play alongside John Sheridan and his unique relationship with Mick Wadsworth.

 

14th Dec '20 Episode 14: Wham..Bam...Boula!

 

This week's episode featured a trip down memory lane with former Latics loanee Neil Kilkenny. Neil tells us about his double spell at Boundary Park and how much the town means to him after his time at the club.

 

 

Edited by Dublinoafc
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Crikey you have bitten haven’t you. 
 

38 year old pro’s in whose place?

 

Pop round mate and I will give you a lesson in structuring a logical evidence based argument which avoids internal contradiction. That’s where you are struggling at the moment I feel. 

😂😂😂

Good effort.
 

Hard to admit your wrong isn’t it? 
 

Enjoy your defeats. 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

Good effort.
 

Hard to admit your wrong isn’t it? 
 

Enjoy your defeats. 👍🏻

Surely everyone acknowledges that this season's attack is an upgrade on last season's? 

 

And that this season's defence is a downgrade on last season's? 

 

So if we had last season's most frequently featured component of the defence the side would be better off? 

Edited by Dave_Og
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...