BPAS PODCAST: 18th Jan '21 Episode 18: Evans Above - Interview with the CEO

30mins in. Good job Matt, interested in listening to the last 90mins. 

I ain’t a fan of KE. Something about him doesn’t seem right to me. Felt it as soon as he jumped on Twitter and knew it would end the way it did with him on there. I’ll continue to listen and see if my mind can be changed though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy b said:

1) great podcast shining a light on critical issues and giving the club, supporters and groups an effective and well managed platform for debate.  Great means of feeding back to the club, as long as the quality on the guests is maintained at the current level. Beats social media shouting any day

Thanks for your kind words Andy. We are working on future guests at present and will bring you news of those as and when they are arranged. We also want to keep hearing from supporters and would like to invite some onto the show to supplement our regular contributors, especially where people have a difference of opinion. We think it important to hear as many views as possible.

10 hours ago, super_blue said:

30mins in. Good job Matt, interested in listening to the last 90mins. 

I ain’t a fan of KE. Something about him doesn’t seem right to me. Felt it as soon as he jumped on Twitter and knew it would end the way it did with him on there. I’ll continue to listen and see if my mind can be changed though. 

...let me know what you think when you get to the end?

9 hours ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

I have almost got to the end of this episode.

Thanks to Matt for all the brilliant work he does in bringing the podcast to us each week. It’s always entertaining, relevant and interesting and goes right to the heart of what it means to support Latics. The guests are always interesting to listen to and speak as fans but as realists too, always with a sense of perspective and without taking their support of the team too seriously. 

Please keep going for as long as you feel able to Matt. I can’t wait for the episode with Barry Mo and Marco when they explain why they reported Blitz to the police 👮‍♀️ 

Thank you. That's very kind. I think I'll have pudding on a muffin for tea tonight.

I admire KE for doing the interview and it’s definitely appreciated by fans who don’t want to be kept in the dark.

I’ve no idea why the chief exec of a professional football club would want to get into online spats with strangers, but at least he sees it as bit of an error on his part and will maybe think twice in the future.

The Wheater thing leaves more questions than answers but you can’t see him playing for the club again so it’s probably best for everyone if he just gets moved on.

It’s good that he wants the academy utilising better. The fact that it’s not in the Sporting Director’s skill set is a worry. 

The club crest thing is a bit odd. They didn’t ask for fans to send in their own ideas but did let people leave feedback, which they did, and he seems frustrated with the lack of errr... feedback. I emailed him at the time with my suggestion and he even replied (very courteously and promptly), so it’s not like only 7 people voted on it and no one really gives a shit.

Another good episode, looking forward to the next one. 👏🏼

Great podcast Matt good work ! Listened to the full interview and then went back to listen to your original interview with Karl. 

What this has showed me is albeit plans may have been influenced by Covid, nothing has really been achieved in these three months.

I can’t think of a single thing that he states in that initial interview that he then says yeah we have made progress here. Which is a worrying sign for me. 

Also, why is he surprised no fan engaged with the Urko Vera cameo ? That guy got booed when he was brought onto the pitch and became a joke between fans. Not in a good way. This should have been no surprise. He’s a nobody to the fans. 

Great Pod and I will be listening to them in the future and go back to listen to ones I have missed. Cheers ! 

59 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

Another good episode, looking forward to the next one. 👏🏼

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Great podcast Matt good work ! Listened to the full interview and then went back to listen to your original interview with Karl. 

What this has showed me is albeit plans may have been influenced by Covid, nothing has really been achieved in these three months.

I can’t think of a single thing that he states in that initial interview that he then says yeah we have made progress here. Which is a worrying sign for me. ! 

Thanks both. In his 1st interview he said he wanted to expose Abdallah to the fans, he wanted to do some kit and badge engagement & he wanted to widen the media & comms output from just focussing on the 1st team. He has done all of these things in his first 3 months.

What I don't think he appreciated necessarily is how little difference these would make to fan & club relations. It's going to take a lot more significant work & behavioural change to begin to affect perception.... BUT if we're all talking... then there's a chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dublinoafc said:

Thanks both. In his 1st interview he said he wanted to expose Abdallah to the fans, he wanted to do some kit and badge engagement & he wanted to widen the media & comms output from just focussing on the 1st team. He has done all of these things in his first 3 months.

What I don't think he appreciated necessarily is how little difference these would make to fan & club relations. It's going to take a lot more significant work & behavioural change to begin to affect perception.... BUT if we're all talking... then there's a chance.

There was also some coverage of the AL interview and limitations of AL’s English speaking skills both in engaging with fans and indeed in communicating with staff and at board level.

Just an idea but as an owner of an English football club, with English speaking employees with whom he needs to engage, I wonder if AL might have sought to improve his English during his 3+ year involvement with the club to date. Not saying he hasn’t but he cant and shouldn’t be defended on the basis of a poor grasp of the English language 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dublinoafc said:

Cheers for the response Matt. 

The three things you highlight, increasing AL’s exposure to the fans. An interview which most questions were answered by the interviewee doesn't really increase transparency for me, admittedly he said he would change this structure in the future. But, then a news paper article comes out which AL has done an interview for claiming a load of false promises, which Karl supposedly told him not to do. 

Badge engagement. I actually liked this so fair enough. But as he admits this was forced due to ownership rights of the current (previous) badge. Therefore, I would say essential rather than progress.

Comms output on other parts of OAFC. Yeah I will give him this, should be done anyway, but fair enough.

In no way critical of you, just don’t believe the above classes as any real progress in the last 3 months. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Cheers for the response Matt. 

The three things you highlight, increasing AL’s exposure to the fans. An interview which most questions were answered by the interviewee doesn't really increase transparency for me, admittedly he said he would change this structure in the future. But, then a news paper article comes out which AL has done an interview for claiming a load of false promises, which Karl supposedly told him not to do. 

Badge engagement. I actually liked this so fair enough. But as he admits this was forced due to ownership rights of the current (previous) badge. Therefore, I would say essential rather than progress.

Comms output on other parts of OAFC. Yeah I will give him this, should be done anyway, but fair enough.

In no way critical of you, just don’t believe the above classes as any real progress in the last 3 months. 

What would be classed as reasonable indicators of progress, which someone can be fairly expected to have made, in a three month period? 

not saying I disagree with you. 

34 minutes ago, Andy b said:

What would be classed as reasonable indicators of progress, which someone can be fairly expected to have made, in a three month period? 

not saying I disagree with you. 

Fair question. Lots of things I could go into here but lets focus on the one Karl highlights as the priority, buying the assets, stadium and land from the previous owners. 

He highlights the potential in both interviews, yet within that 3 month period has accepted literally nothing has been done. The reason behind that he says is because there is no financial incentive currently for AL and co to generate revenue through these currently. Okay that’s understandable, but he says no contact has been made and it’s on the back burner. 

From that I take it that they will pick this up when fans are back in the ground ? Okay, so admittedly we will be going back to a ground with the North Stand shut as they decided to sideline negotiations as they wouldn’t make money from it. To purchase the assets will take months, so we are in a situation where we are waiting for the fans to be allowed back into the ground, which by the looks of it is summer at the earliest. At that point we will discuss negotiations of the assets, which as I have said could drag on for god knows how long. 

It would have been wise to try and negotiate this now, so when we are allowed back into the ground it was fully open. The effect that would have on fans should not be underestimated honestly. (Even to say it’s in the process) 

Karl said himself, the only thing that could move us forward as a club is that North Stand. He’s done nothing about it, and doesn’t look like he will be. 

In my opinion, and backed up by Karl. Progress in other areas are pointless unless that is resolved. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Fair question. Lots of things I could go into here but lets focus on the one Karl highlights as the priority, buying the assets, stadium and land from the previous owners. 

He highlights the potential in both interviews, yet within that 3 month period has accepted literally nothing has been done. The reason behind that he says is because there is no financial incentive currently for AL and co to generate revenue through these currently. Okay that’s understandable, but he says no contact has been made and it’s on the back burner. 

From that I take it that they will pick this up when fans are back in the ground ? Okay, so admittedly we will be going back to a ground with the North Stand shut as they decided to sideline negotiations as they wouldn’t make money from it. To purchase the assets will take months, so we are in a situation where we are waiting for the fans to be allowed back into the ground, which by the looks of it is summer at the earliest. At that point we will discuss negotiations of the assets, which as I have said could drag on for god knows how long. 

It would have been wise to try and negotiate this now, so when we are allowed back into the ground it was fully open. The effect that would have on fans should not be underestimated honestly. (Even to say it’s in the process) 

Karl said himself, the only thing that could move us forward as a club is that North Stand. He’s done nothing about it, and doesn’t look like he will be. 

In my opinion, and backed up by Karl. Progress in other areas are pointless unless that is resolved. 

Agree that that was disappointing. It’s one thing accepting that things are on hold a little but one would expect the parties to be getting their ducks in a row to enable the sale to progress expediently when the world opens up again.

Difficult to blame Karl for that though. He doesn’t hold the purse strings.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Don't worry, it wasn't taken that way. I was merely pointing to the fact he could reasonably claim to have achieved some of the things he said he would do in his first interview.... but as you say & as I tried to convey (maybe not very well) above, he'd underestimated the strength of feeling & was therefore surprised by how little difference it made.

8 minutes ago, Dublinoafc said:

Don't worry, it wasn't taken that way. I was merely pointing to the fact he could reasonably claim to have achieved some of the things he said he would do in his first interview.... but as you say & as I tried to convey (maybe not very well) above, he'd underestimated the strength of feeling & was therefore surprised by how little difference it made.

Looking forward to the future podcasts mate. What’s the schedule like for these ? 

13 minutes ago, Dublinoafc said:

If he thinks that taking soundings on a badge will placate the mob he must be distantly related to Marie Antoinette.

33 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Looking forward to the future podcasts mate. What’s the schedule like for these ? 

The thread below is worth a read if you haven't already, we've had some greats guests on previous episodes including Kieran MaGuire, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kieran_Maguire, Tony Carss, Neil Kilkenny, representatives whom were heavily involved in the fight to save their own clubs, from Stockport, Leyton Orient & Bury, the Chair and Vice Chair & Board representative of our own Trust, as well as the regular contributors. Over the coming weeks we will have more interviews with invited guests and will let supporters know in good time, so you can pose your questions, as well as the usual post match debate from regular and new fans.

Edited by Dublinoafc

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If he thinks that taking soundings on a badge will placate the mob he must be distantly related to Marie Antoinette.

I don't think he thinks that per se. I think he might've hoped Abdallah's interview, the interview from Barry and one from Paul Murray, coupled with the kit and badge fan engagement he tried, to have had some positive effect. This is where I think he's underestimated the strength of feeling.

1 hour ago, Dublinoafc said:

I don't think he thinks that per se. I think he might've hoped Abdallah's interview, the interview from Barry and one from Paul Murray, coupled with the kit and badge fan engagement he tried, to have had some positive effect. This is where I think he's underestimated the strength of feeling.

So I’ve listened Matt, and firstly I thought you came across really well. Thoughtful, balanced, and challenged when and where you could. Karl was more open and honest than I thought, (in part to your style) and left plenty of space to read between the lines without getting himself sacked. 

I would just ask you this, at the end you said ‘I’m excited about the future’ and I genuinely couldn’t get my head around that. Did you mean it in a  ‘without hope what is there’ kinda of way. Or do you really believe the tide is turning? And if so- in what way? 

Because despite your excellent questioning, it’s blatantly obvious to me that the owners will never ‘come on side’. They are all in it for a vanity project- particularly Mo. Who as sporting director- ‘doesn’t get involved in the academy, he does recruitment and is down at the training ground’ which as we all know means de facto manager. Barry is a bloke who ‘tells some of the weaker ones what to do, and then let’s them take the blame’. Enough said. Then my favourite. . . Board meetings have just recently become more structured where we actually discuss issues, instead of talking about the weather. ‘

I mean what-the-actual-fuck?? 

Any organisation is about its leadership and it’s true decision makers and ours it’s beyond woeful. For me there is no genuine hope. None. Yes we might win a few games, but we will never, ever, in million years see a promotion under their tenure. It’s far to divisive, shallow, and egotistical for it to ever work. 

Oh, and Karl- top ten squad my arse. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So I’ve listened Matt, and firstly I thought you came across really well. Thoughtful, balanced, and challenged when and where you could. Karl was more open and honest than I thought, (in part to your style) and left plenty of space to read between the lines without getting himself sacked. 

I would just ask you this, at the end you said ‘I’m excited about the future’ and I genuinely couldn’t get my head around that. Did you mean it in a  ‘without hope what is there’ kinda of way. Or do you really believe the tide is turning? And if so- in what way? 

Because despite your excellent questioning, it’s blatantly obvious to me that the owners will never ‘come on side’. They are all in it for a vanity project- particularly Mo. Who as sporting director- ‘doesn’t get involved in the academy, he does recruitment and is down at the training ground’ which as we all know means de facto manager. Barry is a bloke who ‘tells some of the weaker ones what to do, and then let’s them take the blame’. Enough said. Then my favourite. . . Board meetings have just recently become more structured where we actually discuss issues, instead of talking about the weather. ‘

I mean what-the-actual-fuck?? 

Any organisation is about its leadership and it’s true decision makers and ours it’s beyond woeful. For me there is no genuine hope. None. Yes we might win a few games, but we will never, ever, in million years see a promotion under their tenure. It’s far to divisive, shallow, and egotistical for it to ever work. 

Oh, and Karl- top ten squad my arse. 

Yes that meeting comment. Fucking hell. 

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Thank you LOF, I appreciate the comments.

I'm excited because I genuinely feel there is a groundswell of support amongst the fanbase to do something positive and to make a difference.

6 minutes ago, Dublinoafc said:

Thank you LOF, I appreciate the comments.

I'm excited because I genuinely feel there is a groundswell of support amongst the fanbase to do something positive and to make a difference.

That’s how I interpreted your cause for optimism Matt but I am not convinced Karl and the club would automatically see that particular movement as a reason in itself to be optimistic. 

debate has to move on what a fanbase can do to make a difference in the particular circumstances we face. There is no one size fits all model for fan influence. Horses for courses and I would say the baseline circumstances we find ourselves in are  not great in that regard 

47 minutes ago, Andy b said:

That’s how I interpreted your cause for optimism Matt but I am not convinced Karl and the club would automatically see that particular movement as a reason in itself to be optimistic. 

debate has to move on what a fanbase can do to make a difference in the particular circumstances we face. There is no one size fits all model for fan influence. Horses for courses and I would say the baseline circumstances we find ourselves in are  not great in that regard 

Spot on Andy. 

I admire Matt and PTB because they don’t give up, and ultimately they want the club to understand how the fans feel so we can move forward. But having a group/s of disgruntled fans doesn’t lead anywhere without some buy in from ALMO, and there is no tangible evidence that they are genuinely interested in doing so. 

They’re in it for them, not the community. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1