BPAS PODCAST: 25th Jan '21 Episode 19: Rowe, Mo & who else will Go?

Yeah, Blitz appeared on the podcast that the Chronicle was doing.

As far as Sporting Directors are concerned, in countries such as Italy were they are popular, the person in that position is held to account for their performance and hired and fired as appropriate. You just can’t see that happening with Oldham.

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Get Blitz on the POD ? Swear he did one a few months back. Could be worth getting him out again. 

6 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Our intention is to talk to lots of people who have a direct or indirect influence over the future of our football club. We've already got some more interviews lined up, with more to come. Watch this space.

6 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

As far as Sporting Directors are concerned, in countries such as Italy were they are popular, the person in that position is held to account for their performance and hired and fired as appropriate. You just can’t see that happening with Oldham.

My personal view on mo, insofar as I know what he does, is that he seems to have no problem bringing in decent players, if that’s his job. He has done ok there and we have had some decent players through the doors in the last 3 years in my view - a number on loan granted but nothing wrong with that in principle. Fine. For that he gets some credit. Is it that hard to do?  I have no idea.

Whether that ‘ability’ extends to him able to spot talent with a view to making a profit on it is very questionable. Not many players we have had fall into that category. 

it’s the culture of the club and the way it’s managed (including first team

affairs) when said good players walk through the door that’s the problem as far as I can see. No doubt partly down to Mo. It means teams which are decent on paper, and show very significant promise at times, largely underperform over the course of a season without unity, stability and a happy camp. 

Getting relegated in 2018 was the best example of this. This season has some significant parallels with that one. Nothing’s changed has it? 

39 minutes ago, Andy b said:

My personal view on mo, insofar as I know what he does, is that he seems to have no problem bringing in decent players, if that’s his job. He has done ok there and we have had some decent players through the doors in the last 3 years in my view - a number on loan granted but nothing wrong with that in principle. Fine. For that he gets some credit. Is it that hard to do?  I have no idea.

Whether that ‘ability’ extends to him able to spot talent with a view to making a profit on it is very questionable. Not many players we have had fall into that category. 

affairs) when said good players walk through the door that’s the problem as far as I can see. No doubt partly down to Mo. It means teams which are decent on paper, and show very significant promise at times, largely underperform over the course of a season without unity, stability and a happy camp. 

Getting relegated in 2018 was the best example of this. This season has some significant parallels with that one. Nothing’s changed has it? 

If I threw darts blindfolded for three years I'd probably hit treble top a couple of times. 

3 hours ago, Andy b said:

I'm unsure how he would have any knowledge of the loan market or even the english game. I csnt imagine he does any scouting, majority of the loans would have been down to who ever the manager was or Surridge = Bunn

8 hours ago, latics22 said:

I'm unsure how he would have any knowledge of the loan market or even the english game. I csnt imagine he does any scouting, majority of the loans would have been down to who ever the manager was or Surridge = Bunn

Agree. Being able to match loan players with your needs is probably the easy bit.

21 hours ago, Andy b said:

When you only sign them on 6-12 month contracts then you're not likely to make much of a profit when the time comes to cash in. They seem to have this theory of uncovering a few rough gems in the Edmundson mould but clubs know the short contracts serve to become our undoing when it's time to negotiate.

Totally understand in the current climate the lack of wanting to tie many down to lengthy deals, especially if a bad injury to one becomes a burden but it has been clear to see early on who we ought to be building teams around.

5 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

When you only sign them on 6-12 month contracts then you're not likely to make much of a profit when the time comes to cash in. They seem to have this theory of uncovering a few rough gems in the Edmundson mould but clubs know the short contracts serve to become our undoing when it's time to negotiate.

Totally understand in the current climate the lack of wanting to tie many down to lengthy deals, especially if a bad injury to one becomes a burden but it has been clear to see early on who we ought to be building teams around.

Dearnley is a perfect example, quality player in this league- gave him a two year deal in the summer but hardly played due to injury. Having said it was still stupid of the club, because it’s not new with him, he has a history of injury. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Dearnley is a perfect example, quality player in this league- gave him a two year deal in the summer but hardly played due to injury. Having said it was still stupid of the club, because it’s not new with him, he has a history of injury. 

I don't think Dearnley was doing too bad on the injury front until we tried to rush him back the one time he was clearly unfit.  

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived