Jump to content

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, GrahamHughes said:

Some names before my time but interesting reading about them.First loan signing I remember was probably Neil Adams who we subsequently signed.One more recent who stood out was Ripley the keeper,whatever happened to him he looked superb for us.

reserve keeper at Preston

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big Clyde 

Wasn't the criteria one season wonders?

Curtis Main 

A couple some of us oldies might remember.

 

Tony Bailey from Derby County in the season we won the old Third Division.

Ray Treacy from WBA (I think) set off like a train on fire but if memory serves got injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Luke Beckett, kept us up in 2005 & did well the following season. He was a real fans favourite at the time.

 

Just had a look on Wikipedia, awesome goal tally:

 

2005  Oldham Athletic (loan) 9 (6)
2005–2006  Oldham Athletic (loan) 34 (18)

Wasn't the criteria one season wonders?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin Hodge - had a great start to 1982-83 in goal on loan from Everton and would probably have become Peter McDonnell's permanent replacement had he not got injured. His injury though opened the door for Andy Goram and the rest, as they say, is history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Wasn't the criteria one season wonders?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, or you're just a complete bore. But 9 games at the back of the season followed by 34 games the next counts to me as basically a season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Wasn't the criteria one season wonders?

 

2 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, or you're just a complete bore. But 9 games at the back of the season followed by 34 games the next counts to me as basically a season.

 

Neither. The title refers to ‘one season’ wonders and as such refers to players who played for us for a single season or part of that season. 

Therefore your suggestion is in fact incorrect 🙄

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

 

 

 

Neither. The title refers to ‘one season’ wonders and as such refers to players who played for us for a single season or part of that season. 

Therefore your suggestion is in fact incorrect 🙄

 

So Ernie Cooksey's out as well then because he played 1 game in the second season. Well done on ruining a great thread by being a pair of fucking pedants 🙄

Edited by Barry Bosnian
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

So Ernie Cooksey's out as well then because he played 1 game in the second season. Well done on ruining a great thread by being a pair of fucking pedants 🙄

🤣

 

I'm with Barry on this. Ernie has to stay!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

So Ernie Cooksey's out as well then because he played 1 game in the second season. Well done on ruining a great thread by being a pair of fucking pedants 🙄

 

You okay hun?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Regardless of the 1 or 2 season debate, he was hardly a wonder, was he?

So how many of those named so far were wonders?

 

37 appearances in 2003/04 suggests he wasn't bad. Compared with some recent full backs we've had he was Maldini-esque.

 

In any case the OP asked for fan favourites. Are you saying he wasn't?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dew Dilly Dance said:

It's a shame this thread has descended into pedantry.

 

Alan Shackleton 1961/62  10 games 7 goals, then went onto playing non league.

 

Might not have been a fan's favourite, but I liked him.

Before my time, just. Any idea why he didn’t stay on? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Before my time, just. Any idea why he didn’t stay on? 

No Idea, he was only 27 when we signed him and had a good scoring record in higher divisions

 

1954–1958 Burnley 31 (18)
1958–1959 Leeds United 30 (16)
1959–1960 Everton 26 (10)
1960–1961 Nelson ? (?)
1961–1962 Oldham Athletic 10 (7
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dew Dilly Dance said:

No Idea, he was only 27 when we signed him and had a good scoring record in higher divisions

 

1954–1958 Burnley 31 (18)
1958–1959 Leeds United 30 (16)
1959–1960 Everton 26 (10)
1960–1961 Nelson ? (?)
1961–1962 Oldham Athletic 10 (7

That sounds like someone who had a better career money wise outside football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...