One season wonders

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2021 at 10:40 PM, GrahamHughes said:

With today being the anniversary of the 5-4 Peterborough game,christened Gary Harkins day,how many players can we think of on loan or just briefly here who were fan favorites albeit briefly?

Dylan Bahamboula

Danny Rowe

Aside from those already mentioned:

Clint Hill

Ryan Bertrand

Although he was here for 2 season, so doesn’t count, I’d like to give a shout out to Adam Lockwood, as he was very instrumental in keeping us up in his first season.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:19 PM, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Tony Hately in the 73/4 season, played a handful of loan games.

Yeah, Frizzell bought him for £5000 in the summer of 1972. As far as I recall, he was injured and didn't make a single appearance in 1972-73 (a season in which we finished in 4th place in Div 3). He made a handful of appearances in the early part of 1973-74, but never played a full 90 minutes, but did score the winning goal in a night match at Brighton. Notts County manager Jimmy Sirrell was no fool, and must have known that Hateley was pretty much finished, but Frizzell couldn't be blamed for taking a punt on him at that price. Hateley had been our nemesis for the previous two seasons, scoring twice when Notts County beat us 3-1 in an epic encounter at Boundary Park in 1970-71, and blasting home a long range goal a couple of minutes from the end when they won 1-0 away in 1971-72.

Another lousy signing of an old 'has been' I recall was Johnny Morrissey from Everton in 1972-73. He seems to have been nothing but trouble, and was on the transfer list within a couple of months. We didn't acquire a proper left-winger again until we signed Alan Groves in February 1974, but that sure was worth the wait....

On 1/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, drw1909 said:

A couple some of us oldies might remember.

Tony Bailey from Derby County in the season we won the old Third Division.

Ray Treacy from WBA (I think) set off like a train on fire but if memory serves got injured.

Tony Bailey! A very classy player who made a huge difference to our defence when he replaced Dick Mulvaney in the line up in early 1974. The signing of him and Alan Groves were major factors in transforming us from mid-table hopefuls at the start of the year into championship contenders a couple of months later, though the appointment of Lochhead as club captain (in place of Mulvaney) and the regular selection of Garwood (not before time!) were also crucial factors.

Bailey never really established himself in the 1974-75 side for some reason, and soon lost his place. He was replaced by David Holt from Bury towards the end of 74. Garwood also never got much of a chance to make an impact that season, and was sold to Huddersfield in early November.

19 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

He should have done. Has played 3 games for Preston's first team in 2 years.

I guess that’s on him,I thought he was a championship level keeper at worst whilst with us,he’s obviously settled into second fiddle mode.Shame.

On 1/26/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dave_Og said:

Given his status (including with me) it's remarkable how few games Jim Fryatt played for us 

Fryatt was one of those players who was frequently on the move, having eight English clubs in all (with more than one stint at some of them). He actually played more games for the Latics (77) than he did for six of his other clubs.

I don't think Jimmy Frizzell believed he was up to the challenge of Div 3 football after we got promoted in 1970-71. Jim Williams in the Oldham Chron felt that Fryatt lost his edge after the Notts County match in March 1971, and was never as sharp afterwards. Maybe he was right, because after he moved back to Southport, his strike rate was a lot lower than at Oldham, even though he played in a side that won the old Div 4 in 72-73.

He would've been 31 years old when he left Boundary Park, into the 'veteran' stage by the standards of that period. He once gave me a lift in his car (in 1970), and was chain-smoking all through the forty or fifty minute  journey, which must have meant that he wasn't as fit as he might have been.

8 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Maybe played more than one season, but when our Milkman's son in law signed for Latics , and scored on his debut ( or so my memory tells me)  and scored  goals galore, he became a cult hero for a while,

Stevie, Stevie  Taylor.

Came in from Bolton, was a joy to watch and yes, our fans really took to him, became a hero at Burnley aswell, as a mate from that neck of the woods mentioned him, whilst talking late 1970s football.

Stainrod's replacement definitely seems to have been Roger Palmer. Stainrod played his last game for Latics at QPR on 15 November 1980, and Palmer made his debut for us in the very next match at home to Orient on 22 November. Stainrod signed for QPR on 21 November.

Alan Young established himself in the side in the second half of the 1974-75 season, and was sold to Leicester in July 1979.

Archived