MATCH: vs Salford (H) 30/01/21

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Groves left an indelible mark on all Latics fans who saw him play, it was a pleasure to see him with the ball at his feet. Stainrod was the only player who came close to Groves in my eyes. 

Agree. And Stainrod was pure class....apart from when he conned the ref and got Terry Curran sent off against Wednesday and caused a bloody riot! Scary stuff

2 hours ago, Andy b said:

Even in the first half we looked decent going forward. Maybe we didn’t quite deserve the win overall but that’s not the way it works. We did enough to score twice (and could have had another one or two) and actually defended pretty well second half for the large part.

Thoroughly satisfying 

Sorry Andy, you’re avin a laugh....the first half was a disgrace!!

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Agree. And Stainrod was pure class....apart from when he conned the ref and got Terry Curran sent off against Wednesday and caused a bloody riot! Scary stuff

Grealish reminds me very much of Simon Stainrod....he was a quality player and a real crowd pleaser!

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Stainrod and Groves two of my three favourite ever Latics players, what entertainers they both were (Andy Ritchie was of course the third)

That DKD goal was probably the first one I've celebrated like I would have done if I was there. 

About time we got a lucky win, they should have had 4 or 5 before the break but we managed to turn it round. Unsure what has happened to Brice Ntambwe since Cambridge away, looks way off the pace to play in the Football League.

Alfie McCalmont was superb and shouldn't be left out in the future.

We need to sign a CB and a Striker now and to try and win more than 2 games in a row. 

5 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

That DKD goal was probably the first one I've celebrated like I would have done if I was there. 

About time we got a lucky win, they should have had 4 or 5 before the break but we managed to turn it round. Unsure what has happened to Brice Ntambwe since Cambridge away, looks way off the pace to play in the Football League.

We need to sign a CB and a Striker now and to try and win more than 2 games in a row. 

Every game I have watched ntambwe he has been shite

6 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Agreed! That’s my top 3 too. 

Remember Alan Groves sitting the the ball to taunt defender in one match or having rounded one went back and did it again. Would never happen now (or is it just rose tinted glasses?)

Holden wasn’t just a drop a shoulder cross it winger,he wasn’t known as tricky Ricky for nothing!His final ball was sublime but he could definitely beat a man and regularly did.Groves was before my time,my Dad saw both and goes with Ricky just as he performed at a higher level.Harry Redknapp puts Groves up there with anyone he’s played with or managed so he was obviously a hell of a player.

1 minute ago, petera1 said:

Remember Alan Groves sitting the the ball to taunt defender in one match or having rounded one went back and did it again. Would never happen now (or is it just rose tinted glasses?)

Probably get a booking nowadays

I think Hilssner is going to be a fantastic player, he's constantly in space without doing a lot of running, always has his head up and always tries to pass the ball forwards either to the flanks or between the lines. Occasionally it doesn't come off but I'd rather a player who attempts it rather than one who picks the easy option every time. I'm very impressed by him, bear in mind he's barely played in 6 months either.

Watched Wellens’ interview on Salford site. 

He has always had this problem of calling out individual players. In this interview he names 5 or 6 that he wasn’t happy with.  He also complains they were too deep second half... I would have thought his set up and his  substitution had a lot to do with that.  

Never his fault. 

2 wins in their 12 games against top half sides. V poor record. 

Some Salford less than happy with him.  

2 hours ago, petera1 said:

Stainrod and Groves two of my three favourite ever Latics players, what entertainers they both were (Andy Ritchie was of course the third)

So many from that era were world beaters compared to what we see today. All three of those name above were superb entertainment value. Alan Young was another (never fully reached his potential), Keith Bebbington was awesome on his day, Vic Halom was a Sunderland legend and became a Latics one too. We had so many players back then who meant something to the supporters.....I can't think of any in the last few years apart from the reverence that comes with scoring a particular goal against a bigger team. There are no more 'Latics Legends'

Great result today's guys congrats, not sure why but always had an odd soft spot for you lot and always like quick read up on ya games in the after math, and the recent transfer/talk has added to that. Must admit though your fans very similar to us as in very quick to jump on the doom n gloom wagon and then play off talk after a goal or 2, haha the mood swings in footy fans are great. Tbf though like us recent history you have been served up your fair share of drivel and always expect the same old. Rowe scored again today and looks a class above compared to what we've seen in recent seasons, but you don't seem to have missed him which is great. Good luck for the season and hope we both back door the play offs. 

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

What made Holden Stand out for me was how deceptive he was. He his ability to look ‘uninterested’ and then steal a yard was unreal. Yes he was an amazing crosser of the ball, but even more than that he was so, so clever IMO. 

My favourite ever Latics player. I love old fashioned wingers, who attack their full back and get a cross in for the strikers. He looked cool with what he did - almost nonchalant - and could beat his opponent, but knew when to release the ball..

.. which is where Bahamboula's game needs improving. He's like the ball-greedy kid in school, who can run rings round everyone, but seems to forget it's a team sport!

8 hours ago, otid said:

So many from that era were world beaters compared to what we see today. All three of those name above were superb entertainment value. Alan Young was another (never fully reached his potential), Keith Bebbington was awesome on his day, Vic Halom was a Sunderland legend and became a Latics one too. We had so many players back then who meant something to the supporters.....I can't think of any in the last few years apart from the reverence that comes with scoring a particular goal against a bigger team. There are no more 'Latics Legends'

David Eyres stood out for us.

8 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Watched Wellens’ interview on Salford site. 

He has always had this problem of calling out individual players. In this interview he names 5 or 6 that he wasn’t happy with.  He also complains they were too deep second half... I would have thought his set up and his  substitution had a lot to do with that.  

Never his fault. 

2 wins in their 12 games against top half sides. V poor record. 

Some Salford less than happy with him.  

Good

11 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Agree about McCalmont, he gives us that bit of extra energy in midfield. 

After yesterday's matches our record against the top 7 is P8 W4 D1 L3. 13 points out of 24 = 54.2%. Not stunning but......

Our overall record is 34 points from 78 = 43.6%.

If our overall matched the record against the top 7 we would have 42 points and be joint second.

Just proves as many have said that there are no outstanding teams in this division and if we could only put a run together (as Tranmere currently are) then we would be up there.

I just can't see it though as we are carrying too many journeymen. We'll find out soon enough - FGR, Tranmere and Carlisle all to come in February, plus Exeter who've slipped to 9th.

Archived