MATCH: vs Salford (H) 30/01/21

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The morning after...

It makes me smile when I go back and read through the match thread comments 😊

Prior to the day of the match it’s all about our starting eleven and formations: which of our haphazardly assembled squad of misfits, chancers, non-league standard footballers should never again see the inside of the dressing room. Apart, that is, from a couple of players who are too good for this league and will be sold off for peanuts in the transfer window.

There are also the varying opinions of the opposition strengths and weaknesses. We are either going to get outmuscled or have our collective arses handed to us on a plate. And even on the odd occasion ‘we should beat these’...

Depending on who manages/owns our opponents or how ‘big’ a club they are, there is extra spice - usually along the lines of ‘I can’t believe they are better than us just shows how far we have fallen’ etc.

When the team is announced comments range from disbelief to outrage and even, on (rare) occasions, agreement from some with Kewell’s/Mo’s choice. It’s mandatory that the number of changes from the previous game is pointed out to all. Invariably there will be one or two unexplained absences to add to the general consternation. 

On to the match itself...

Latics typically start poorly. A few minutes in the knee jerk micro analysis with condemnation of the slightest mistake coupled with calls for certain players to be dragged off the pitch begins... By halftime we are inevitably losing and the prevailing mood on the forum can be close to apoplectic. 

Then gradually, as with yesterday, we turn things around and gain a foothold in the contest. A key substitution is made and things improve further. Our equaliser is greeted with cries of ‘get in’ and the mood changes to one of cautious optimism. 

All is forgotten for a short while when one of our ‘non-league at best’ lightweights crashes home the winning goal.

Then it’s back to the ‘we may have won but...’ commentary. We still need a centre back and a centre forward and our only decent players will be off on Monday...

Its brilliant and I wouldn’t have it any other way 😳

Was it ever any different since the advent of social media. 

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The morning after...

Prior to the day of the match it’s all about our starting eleven and formations: which of our haphazardly assembled squad of misfits, chancers, non-league standard footballers should never again see the inside of the dressing room. Apart, that is, from a couple of players who are too good for this league and will be sold off for peanuts in the transfer window.

There are also the varying opinions of the opposition strengths and weaknesses. We are either going to get outmuscled or have our collective arses handed to us on a plate. And even on the odd occasion ‘we should beat these’...

Depending on who manages/owns our opponents or how ‘big’ a club they are, there is extra spice - usually along the lines of ‘I can’t believe they are better than us just shows how far we have fallen’ etc.

When the team is announced comments range from disbelief to outrage and even, on (rare) occasions, agreement from some with Kewell’s/Mo’s choice. It’s mandatory that the number of changes from the previous game is pointed out to all. Invariably there will be one or two unexplained absences to add to the general consternation. 

Latics typically start poorly. A few minutes in the knee jerk micro analysis with condemnation of the slightest mistake coupled with calls for certain players to be dragged off the pitch begins... By halftime we are inevitably losing and the prevailing mood on the forum can be close to apoplectic. 

Then gradually, as with yesterday, we turn things around and gain a foothold in the contest. A key substitution is made and things improve further. Our equaliser is greeted with cries of ‘get in’ and the mood changes to one of cautious optimism. 

All is forgotten for a short while when one of our ‘non-league at best’ lightweights crashes home the winning goal.

Then it’s back to the ‘we may have won but...’ commentary. We still need a centre back and a centre forward and our only decent players will be off on Monday...

DKD did football a massive favour yesterday and it'd be the ultimate shame on this club, if they even considered selling Bam to this lot.

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The morning after...

Look on any message board. Guarantee that this reflects the collective output of fans of every club across the country, apart from the chosen few at the top of the prem who live in an entirely different world to the rest of us 

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Watched Wellens’ interview on Salford site. 

He has always had this problem of calling out individual players. In this interview he names 5 or 6 that he wasn’t happy with.  He also complains they were too deep second half... I would have thought his set up and his  substitution had a lot to do with that.  

Never his fault. 

2 wins in their 12 games against top half sides. V poor record. 

Some Salford less than happy with him.  

I'm surprised they have their own site and it's not just a sub-forum on the United website 😉

9 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I'm surprised they have their own site and it's not just a sub-forum on the United website 😉

Their forum is dead... well the one I found is.   The interview was on the official site.  Well worth a watch with a bacon butty and a coffee. Cheer you up no end. 

Not goin back thru all that shite fuckinell. l'll try n read the replies but one or two in there l just cant face so might not read notifications for a week or so til they clear thru. 

Do these people even like Football??

HK has a way and its showing that it has promise. Dice with death and try n make the most of your break aways. Its not lumpit break either, he does want us passing it.

Could have lost that 4-0 easily and we probably would have done three months ago.

At the risk of repeating myself and jus to make sure lm not accused of mixing hindsight with memory again, DKD is a winger with talent. Like him. Yes, his passing is wankkk as yes he cant play in the same team as Garrity but get him up the pitch tell him to try stuff. Comin off the bench even better sometimes, tired defenders n that.

Gota make it to the window w no more players goin out. Got to strengthen. Always look to strengthen, however good you are.

ALLL ABOARDDD

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

Oh and also, the best thing about no crowds is gauging the team spirit. Some times when we score sounds like weve got a crowd in. Exeter was a great example. l am convinced there were OASIS infiltrators which grouped up slowly and formed a contingent as the goals went in at that match.

Not had chance watch yesterday yet but lm looking forward to it.

23 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Also IMO that shot off the bar at 0-1 went in and the defending on the rebound (was it Clarke?) was absolute class. Very surprised it wasnt given tho. Be toxic on ere if it was.

I said exactly the same. Thought it looked well in but none of theirs appealed. 

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The morning after...

Was thinking the same, the turn around in comments is hilarious. I wasnt on owtb till the evening  so read through from kick off till the late hours.

2 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

That first-half performance was up there with the worst I've ever seen from a Latics team. Amazing that Salford were only 1-0 up. 

Second-half was better, thankfully. Did we deserve to win? No. But we did. Hooray! 

I mean it was blowing a gale in their favour...

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

David Eyres stood out for us.

I agree mate....my point was that i couldn't name one from "the last few years".....bizarre as it seems, it's 15 years since Eyresey finished with us!

Could, and probably should, have been 5 down at the break. The first half performance was abysmal. Better in the 2nd half, but still obviously rode our luck. Always nice to get one over on the guy who managed to get us relegated, despite having our strongest squad in years. I know there were lots of issues behind the scenes, but to get us relegated with that squad, was disgraceful. He has the blood of our club on his hands...

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Could, and probably should, have been 5 down at the break. The first half performance was abysmal. Better in the 2nd half, but still obviously rode our luck. Always nice to get one over on the guy who managed to get us relegated, despite having our strongest squad in years. I know there were lots of issues behind the scenes, but to get us relegated with that squad, was disgraceful. He has the blood of our club on his hands...

Not disagreeing particularly but he got 46 points out of his 36 games having taken over Sheridans team with 4 points from 10.  That might be judged as a reasonable effort and is certainly not a  relegation return .    While not exonerating Wellens  it is hard to win games when you have a genuine clown in goal in Placide.  Shez cocked up the keeper situation and it cost us big time

Archived