The Athletic: Oldham Athletic, a bag of £20 notes and a ‘pretty toxic’ mood

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BPAS said:

Make sure you tune in on Monday, as we're joined by Mike Keegan to discuss the Salford game and the content of the Athletic article published today.

Was it Mike Keegan who teased us with hints of a big scoop on Latics a couple of years or more ago? Or was that another journalist?

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

What a nutter he is mind.

Absolutely, funny though. And I don't think he made it up, given what happened to the club shortly after.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

And that didn't end too well. 

Nope, but unfortunately we are in the same mould as your Rushden & Diamonds and Bury/Macc, rather than Accrington or Rochdale.

45 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Was it Mike Keegan who teased us with hints of a big scoop on Latics a couple of years or more ago? Or was that another journalist?

Well, there was this one that one penned by Mike himself.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5808305/The-story-Oldham-Athletics-financial-troubles-mystifying-transfers-unpaid-wages.html

5 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Absolutely, funny though. And I don't think he made it up, given what happened to the club shortly after.

Nope, but unfortunately we are in the same mould as your Rushden & Diamonds and Bury/Macc, rather than Accrington or Rochdale.

Which is worrying. 

14 hours ago, BPAS said:

Make sure you tune in on Monday, as we're joined by Mike Keegan to discuss the Salford game and the content of the Athletic article published today.

if you have any questions for Mike, please feel free to reply to this message with them and we’ll do our best to ask him.

14 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Leon Knight claims the Rushden & Diamonds Chairman paid him £30K in cash in a black bin bag as a signing on fee, it probably happens more than you think.

Remind me which league they're in now. 

17 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Leon Knight claims the Rushden & Diamonds Chairman paid him £30K in cash in a black bin bag as a signing on fee, it probably happens more than you think.

I had it on good authority that Peter Clarke’s agent received a £2000 cash gift just before Peter Clarke signed his new contract after the Scunthorpe rumours 

Matt (and we mean Matt this time) will be on BBC GMR today during the match build up from 2pm, discussing today’s game and events this week, prior to recording Monday’s podcast, after the match today hopefully with 3 points in the bag, with special guest Mike Keegan.

There’s still time to get any questions in you may have.

Don’t miss Mondays episode, it’s sure to be a good one.

2 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Matt (and we mean Matt this time) will be on BBC GMR today during the match build up from 2pm, discussing today’s game and events this week, prior to recording Monday’s podcast after the match with special guest Mike Keegan.

There’s still time to get any questions in you may have.

Don’t miss Mondays episode, it’s sure to be a good one.

Out of interest Matt, what’s the reach of the podcast? Listener numbers much be growing at a good rate I would expect. 

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s a crazy when someone of Pidge’s ability can earn over £72k for playing football. 😳

People won’t like it, but the article highlights the reality of cutting your cloth according to your income. 

"It may not be the best source, but it is the only source I have to work with"

I'm not sure the article tells us that much other than the writer is probably The Daddy at Football Manager...

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

"It may not be the best source, but it is the only source I have to work with"

I'm not sure the article tells us that much other than the writer is probably The Daddy at Football Manager...

It’s correlates with what Karl said on the pod recently, that the owners had done very well to get the wage bill within the cap. Individual wages maybe a bit out, but the overall picture isn’t.  

Money in brown envelopes shocker rocks football.

Those that don't know this is rife in football or big business/land deals/purchase contracts/planning agreements, tend to play fair in life most likely and the best people to trust. 

That said this is slightly different to the norm, in that it was to bail Corney and effectively the club out. We can only hope it was squared off correctly in the end with HMRC etc I suppose.

In big Joe's days the manager had a war chest of cash in his desk for bungs to get deals done. The amounts usually most the board didn't know about. It just surprises me given HMRC and the like tried to bring to book a number of high profile figures in the game and failed miserably to do so a few years ago. It's true us fans only get to hear what those in the game want us to, it's a closed shop for sure.

I was told stories from a former Latics player (off the record) about a couple of deals he was involved in, that the ordinary joe in the street would never see in life. Some big bucks.

I guess it proves that the mighty OAFC could actually do a Bury despite those who think the saviour will always turn up. 

Archived