The Athletic: Oldham Athletic, a bag of £20 notes and a ‘pretty toxic’ mood

https://theathletic.com/2351449/2021/01/29/special-report-oldham-athletic-notes-toxic/

A very good, if depressing, summary of the state we’re in. 

It’s behind a paywall unfortunately but if you have a subscription or can get a free trial the football writing at The Athletic is very good (though not much below the Championship, sadly).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Karl Evans, Oldham’s chief executive told a supporters’ podcast, The Boundary Park Alert System!, last week....."

Nice to see BPAS getting quoted too. You might want to tune into Monday's episode as we react to this article.

As said above, not a lot of information there that us fans didn't already know.

However two things stand out to me from it.  One is just how many ridiculous things have gone on at the club in the last 3+ years.  Stories get buried because something even more ridiculous has popped up so soon after that you almost gloss over it, but that article weighs you down with all the things that have gone on that you can't ignore it.

Secondly it's fans from other clubs perspective of it.  We've gone a little under the radar in the wider football community because the problems haven't been quite as acute as say Bury or Macclesfield, but that article gives a great insight for the average football fan about the kind of stupid shit that has become common place at the club, that shouldn't be acceptable at a professional club.

Thanks to the writers for going into that much detail.

1.) For those on twitter who don’t want to pay the cost there’s some screenshots knocking about on the #oafc. If the person responsible is on here thanks again.*

2.) It tells us only very little new. I think most knew that there was a bit of cash-in-hand activity going on but not necessarily the extent of it. Most of it was collected from other sources in the public domain.

3.) That being said the aforementioned cash-in-hand was in November 2017, when Corney was nominally in charge, although AL was clearly pulling the purse strings. Presumably because AL wasn’t registered enough in this country to bring money in, he needed to do these literally under the table deals to pay players and staff. IIRC there was talk about accounts being frozen around then too, which further explains the need for cash-in-hand. 

4.) I would hope that the HMRC will be OK with people being paid cash in hand, provided the other stuff from wages, tax, NI and pension were properly deducted. They may not be, or may require evidence that the deductions actually happened.

5.) Although it doesn’t tell most of our fans anything new it does highlight the plight of our club to a wider audience. The club can claim it’s lies or blame disgruntled former employees, and some will believe them. If anything is false, and I’d be surprised if it is, then the club can sue for libel. It’s funny how despite all these claims of falsehoods and the like the club, or more importantly AL and MO, have never sued anyone for libel as far as I’m aware.

*If the mods don’t mind I can post a direct link if needed. 

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

If the person responsible is on here thanks again.*

Got to disagree here, support journalists and click the article - if you can pay for it, do so - if not use the 7-day free-trial.

Although one current unnamed player thinks AL is doing his best and things are a lot better than 12 months ago.

Probably narrows it down as not many wete here 12 montha ago that still are.. and it won't be Wheater with his NDA.

Hamer, Fage, Pidge, CBJ or Dearnley?

7 minutes ago, boyinthesnow said:

Although one current unnamed player thinks AL is doing his best and things are a lot better than 12 months ago.

Probably narrows it down as not many wete here 12 montha ago that still are.. and it won't be Wheater with his NDA.

Hamer, Fage, Pidge, CBJ or Dearnley?

Fage, obviously. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

4.) I would hope that the HMRC will be OK with people being paid cash in hand, provided the other stuff from wages, tax, NI and pension were properly deducted. They may not be, or may require evidence that the deductions actually happened.

I might be wrong, but isn't this the reason HMRC raided the club offices in late 2017...?

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

1.) For those on twitter who don’t want to pay the cost there’s some screenshots knocking about on the #oafc. If the person responsible is on here thanks again.*

2.) It tells us only very little new. I think most knew that there was a bit of cash-in-hand activity going on but not necessarily the extent of it. Most of it was collected from other sources in the public domain.

3.) That being said the aforementioned cash-in-hand was in November 2017, when Corney was nominally in charge, although AL was clearly pulling the purse strings. Presumably because AL wasn’t registered enough in this country to bring money in, he needed to do these literally under the table deals to pay players and staff. IIRC there was talk about accounts being frozen around then too, which further explains the need for cash-in-hand. 

5.) Although it doesn’t tell most of our fans anything new it does highlight the plight of our club to a wider audience. The club can claim it’s lies or blame disgruntled former employees, and some will believe them. If anything is false, and I’d be surprised if it is, then the club can sue for libel. It’s funny how despite all these claims of falsehoods and the like the club, or more importantly AL and MO, have never sued anyone for libel as far as I’m aware.

*If the mods don’t mind I can post a direct link if needed. 

Why not pay the money into the clubs  bank account and let them distribute the wages?

41 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why not pay the money into the clubs  bank account and let them distribute the wages?

Because when making large cash deposits, you have to explain where said cash has originated from.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

39 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Because when making large cash deposits, you have to explain where said cash has originated from.

And weren’t the clubs accounts frozen at one point? 

7 hours ago, BPAS said:

"Karl Evans, Oldham’s chief executive told a supporters’ podcast, The Boundary Park Alert System!, last week....."

Nice to see BPAS getting quoted too. You might want to tune into Monday's episode as we react to this article.

Make sure you tune in on Monday, as we're joined by Mike Keegan to discuss the Salford game and the content of the Athletic article published today.

Archived