Jump to content

BPAS PODCAST: 1st Feb '21 Episode 20: Mike Keegan


Recommended Posts

Off the back of a late winner against Richie Wellens' Salford City, Matt chats with Daily Mail Journalist and Oldham fan Mike Keegan. The win couldn't distract Mike from the bigger issues that he feels are leading the club in the wrong direction and he pulls few punches in this honest assessment of the club now, in the past and where it could be heading in future. 

 

You can join in the conversation by emailing your messages, questions, rants and voice messages to bpalertsystem@gmail.com.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

 

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC

 

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.

 

 

Edited by BPAS
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 1st Feb '21 Episode 20: Mike Keegan
  • Matt featured this topic
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all, thanks for putting your sweeping generalisation about 'modern journalists' to one side and listening to an hour's free content. Mine (and I'm sure Matt's) pleasure.   I'll leav

Enjoyed the pod, and it was interesting to listen to Mike Keegan’s views. His feeling towards the club are very similar to my own and many others.   Whilst there was nothing ‘new’ essentiall

You asked what’s wrong with what Mike is saying.    I’ll be more blunt.    He claims he’s lost interest, hardly goes to games, and says winning a game is irrelevant. I’ll say that again-

Not a fan of modern day ‘journalists’ including Keegan. Anyhow...

 

He does like to exaggerate doesn’t he. Apparently Salford hit the Woodwork 6 times?

 

 

“Watched them 3 times because it’s not my football club”. (But then talked quite a bit, and gave opinions on, the team and players later on in the interview?)

 

“Won today I’m not really bothered, looked like they were going to get thrashed.. not really bothered”.


“Bahamboula gives the ball away more than any footballer I’ve ever seen at any club” (reminder.. he just said he’d watched us 3 times this season...Idiotic statement)

 

“Didn’t feel like a win”.
 

 

Bloody felt like a win for me and many others I’d suggest. That doesn’t make us stupid, ignorant or uncaring of the situation. It also doesn’t mean I think things are improving off the field. 

 

That’s all an aside though. The real reason he was on was, of course, because of the behind the scenes matters and insight. 

 

“it’s simple, find an alternative, it’s difficult, but it’s simple” ???

 

It is not at all simple and to be fair he did recognise the separation of the ground is a big issue. It’s actually THE issue. Didn’t mention Blitz by name but did say some of the blame lays at the previous ownerships door. 
 

His dream is indeed a dream. Ain’t happening in a post pandemic world where local authorities and governments are under scrutiny on spend. 
 

So it’s not simple, it is very very difficult.
 

I’ll sound like a broken record now.  I’m afraid it seems to me that Blitz is prepared for it to die. If AL stops his  funding and Blitz sticks to wanting £6m... that’s what will happen. I’m no fan of the Trust and I was one of the first to say the position on the board was a huge conflict, but the idea of the Trust running the club for a few months in the event of AL wandering off is for the birds. It’s irrelevant. Nobody with any sense is buying this club. 
 

All the discussions, ideas and visions are irrelevant and pointless unless Blitz will sell the ground for a fraction of what he currently wants. That’s a depressing fact.

 

 

(PS. it went wrong with Scholes because he is inept) 

 


 

Edited by kowenicki
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

At least he is putting forward ideas for how to change or improve things. Whether those ideas have any legs or not is up for debate of course, but we need more of that as a fan base.  Less finger pointing or absolving parties of blame, and more plans and action.

 

It's easy to sit here and say "that can't happen", or "Blitz wants too much", or "no one will buy us". But how do we make Blitz accept a bid that is the fair market value? How do we find someone willing to pay a fair market value?  Same for Abdallah.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

At least he is putting forward ideas for how to change or improve things. Whether those ideas have any legs or not is up for debate of course, but we need more of that as a fan base.  Less finger pointing or absolving parties of blame, and more plans and action.

 

It's easy to sit here and say "that can't happen", or "Blitz wants too much", or "no one will buy us". But how do we make Blitz accept a bid that is the fair market value? How do we find someone willing to pay a fair market value?  Same for Abdallah.

Thats just silly. Whats the point in coming up w unworkable ideas? Needs to be hammered home that Blitz is a coin grabbing cunt who has been suffocating us for years. Even now people choose to ignore it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

Thats just silly. Whats the point in coming up w unworkable ideas? Needs to be hammered home that Blitz is a coin grabbing cunt who has been suffocating us for years. Even now people choose to ignore it.

Because putting forward an unworkable idea could lead to a workable one.  Or an unworkable idea may only need a small tweak to make it workable.  More chance of something happening that way than no one suggesting anything and us all just crossing our fingers that AL will learn his lessons.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Thats just silly. Whats the point in coming up w unworkable ideas? Needs to be hammered home that Blitz is a coin grabbing cunt who has been suffocating us for years. Even now people choose to ignore it.

Disagree. I don't know any Latics fan who sees Blitz as anything other than how you described him...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Not a fan of modern day ‘journalists’ including Keegan. Anyhow...

 

He does like to exaggerate doesn’t he. Apparently Salford hit the Woodwork 6 times?

 

 

“Watched them 3 times because it’s not my football club”. (But then talked quite a bit, and gave opinions on, the team and players later on in the interview?)

 

“Won today I’m not really bothered, looked like they were going to get thrashed.. not really bothered”.


“Bahamboula gives the ball away more than any footballer I’ve ever seen at any club” (reminder.. he just said he’d watched us 3 times this season...Idiotic statement)

 

“Didn’t feel like a win”.
 

 

Bloody felt like a win for me and many others I’d suggest. That doesn’t make us stupid, ignorant or uncaring of the situation. It also doesn’t mean I think things are improving off the field. 

 

That’s all an aside though. The real reason he was on was, of course, because of the behind the scenes matters and insight. 

 

“it’s simple, find an alternative, it’s difficult, but it’s simple” ???

 

It is not at all simple and to be fair he did recognise the separation of the ground is a big issue. It’s actually THE issue. Didn’t mention Blitz by name but did say some of the blame lays at the previous ownerships door. 
 

His dream is indeed a dream. Ain’t happening in a post pandemic world where local authorities and governments are under scrutiny on spend. 
 

So it’s not simple, it is very very difficult.
 

I’ll sound like a broken record now.  I’m afraid it seems to me that Blitz is prepared for it to die. If AL stops his  funding and Blitz sticks to wanting £6m... that’s what will happen. I’m no fan of the Trust and I was one of the first to say the position on the board was a huge conflict, but the idea of the Trust running the club for a few months in the event of AL wandering off is for the birds. It’s irrelevant. Nobody with any sense is buying this club. 
 

All the discussions, ideas and visions are irrelevant and pointless unless Blitz will sell the ground for a fraction of what he currently wants. That’s a depressing fact.

 

 

(PS. it went wrong with Scholes because he is inept) 

 


 

I listened to the podcast first deliberately avoiding this thread to taint any views. 
 

This post sums it up for me, came away thinking Keegan is a bit of a dick in all honesty. Any comments on the team and performances meant nothing, as his opinions are biased as he watched 3 terrible performances ?

 

He was describing this fantasy of his, time to wake up fella it’s not that easy. 
 

His assessment of the trust I agree with. 
 

All in all, took away that he’s a journalist who clearly loved the club at one point, it’s been tarnished and now he’s just a normal angry fan at the situation with a bit more personal bias due to his job role. 
 

Interesting listen, can’t say it cheered me up on my Monday morning this week. I’m sure you will have far better guests than him on in future. Cheers for the pod 

 

Edit: just like to say nothing personal against Keegan, views are all from that listen and how it came across in my opinion. 

Edited by LightDN123
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great debate and exactly the sort of conversation we should be having amongst ourselves, if we are ever able to affect change for our beloved football club. It's also one of the primary motivations behind starting the podcast in the fist place.

 

Thanks for listening. We've got more interviews lined up & more guests to help dissect performances post match. We want to hear as many different voices and opinions as possible. If you have a particular point of view you wish to discuss and you don't think we've covered it, please get in touch.

Edited by BPAS
Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, thanks for putting your sweeping generalisation about 'modern journalists' to one side and listening to an hour's free content. Mine (and I'm sure Matt's) pleasure.

 

I'll leave the digs about Saturday (as I'm sure you're well aware that we are all entitled to an opinion) other than to say that if you thought that was anything other than a fluke then you need your head feeling.

 

While, as I said, the stand and the land are an issue (and a big one at that) they are not 'THE issue'.

 

A few of many examples.

 

Did the stand disrupt a season by bringing in busloads of not-fit-for-purpose players?
Did the stand oversee our relegation to the bottom tier for the first time in decades?
Did the stand stop pension payments to staff?

Did the stand sack Frankie Bunn with us a place above where we are now in the table?

Was the stand responsible for Pete Wild turning down his dream job and then pitching up at non-league Halifax months later?
Did the stand bring in Laurent Banide?
Did the stand sign Urko Vera?

Did the stand have a place on the table at Royton Cricket Club?

Was the stand cited by Paul Scholes when he left after 31 days?

Did the stand alienate a series of decent players (including one who is still at the club playing with the kids while our defence ships daft goals every weekend)?
Did the stand get GMP to launch a fruitless investigation?

 

As I said - the vision of a community-owned stadium in town was 'utopia'. I agree that the asking price needs to be lowered. I don't agree that there's no interest from elsewhere, as hard as that it is to believe. I also believe the asking price from AL, if there is one, needs to be made public. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to Mike Keegan for coming on here and defending his position whether you agree with him or not.

 

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet but will do so.

 

Re Kowenicki's point above re Blitz, I agree that things look bleak at the moment but that doesn't mean they always will. He's a businessman and eventually there will be a deal to be done at a fair price. Hopefully not with the Chuckle Brothers though.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OAFCMIKE said:

First of all, thanks for putting your sweeping generalisation about 'modern journalists' to one side and listening to an hour's free content. Mine (and I'm sure Matt's) pleasure.

 

I'll leave the digs about Saturday (as I'm sure you're well aware that we are all entitled to an opinion) other than to say that if you thought that was anything other than a fluke then you need your head feeling.

 

While, as I said, the stand and the land are an issue (and a big one at that) they are not 'THE issue'.

 

A few of many examples.

 

Did the stand disrupt a season by bringing in busloads of not-fit-for-purpose players?
Did the stand oversee our relegation to the bottom tier for the first time in decades?
Did the stand stop pension payments to staff?

Did the stand sack Frankie Bunn with us a place above where we are now in the table?

Was the stand responsible for Pete Wild turning down his dream job and then pitching up at non-league Halifax months later?
Did the stand bring in Laurent Banide?
Did the stand sign Urko Vera?

Did the stand have a place on the table at Royton Cricket Club?

Was the stand cited by Paul Scholes when he left after 31 days?

Did the stand alienate a series of decent players (including one who is still at the club playing with the kids while our defence ships daft goals every weekend)?
Did the stand get GMP to launch a fruitless investigation?

 

As I said - the vision of a community-owned stadium in town was 'utopia'. I agree that the asking price needs to be lowered. I don't agree that there's no interest from elsewhere, as hard as that it is to believe. I also believe the asking price from AL, if there is one, needs to be made public. 

Mike, I’m no AL fan and want him out as much as the next person. 
 

Do you recognise any change in recent months to when AL first took charge ? 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OAFCMIKE said:

First of all, thanks for putting your sweeping generalisation about 'modern journalists' to one side and listening to an hour's free content. Mine (and I'm sure Matt's) pleasure.

 

I'll leave the digs about Saturday (as I'm sure you're well aware that we are all entitled to an opinion) other than to say that if you thought that was anything other than a fluke then you need your head feeling.

 

While, as I said, the stand and the land are an issue (and a big one at that) they are not 'THE issue'.

 

A few of many examples.

 

Did the stand disrupt a season by bringing in busloads of not-fit-for-purpose players?
Did the stand oversee our relegation to the bottom tier for the first time in decades?
Did the stand stop pension payments to staff?

Did the stand sack Frankie Bunn with us a place above where we are now in the table?

Was the stand responsible for Pete Wild turning down his dream job and then pitching up at non-league Halifax months later?
Did the stand bring in Laurent Banide?
Did the stand sign Urko Vera?

Did the stand have a place on the table at Royton Cricket Club?

Was the stand cited by Paul Scholes when he left after 31 days?

Did the stand alienate a series of decent players (including one who is still at the club playing with the kids while our defence ships daft goals every weekend)?
Did the stand get GMP to launch a fruitless investigation?

 

As I said - the vision of a community-owned stadium in town was 'utopia'. I agree that the asking price needs to be lowered. I don't agree that there's no interest from elsewhere, as hard as that it is to believe. I also believe the asking price from AL, if there is one, needs to be made public. 


First of all, you’re welcome. 
 

Secondly.... deary me, yes! All of the questions you listed above are indeed directly due to the fact that we can ONLY attract an owner of the calibre and personality of AL so long as BLITZ WANTS 6m QUID. Which sensible and rational business person or group is paying 6m for it?  £2m and I suspect people might come forward. It is THE biggest problem. 

On the playing side. I didn’t say it wasn’t a fluke. I simply said I enjoyed the win.  So you are putting words in my mouth whereas I just quoted what you actually said. Your opinion on Bahamboula is laughable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Because putting forward an unworkable idea could lead to a workable one.  Or an unworkable idea may only need a small tweak to make it workable.  More chance of something happening that way than no one suggesting anything and us all just crossing our fingers that AL will learn his lessons.

Kind of on different pages here l think. l am of the O that doing anything against/for/with AL whatever you think of him, is frustratingly pointless with Sharky McCoingrab circling keeping his nostrils open for the smell of 'repayments' towards his 'outlay'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Disagree. I don't know any Latics fan who sees Blitz as anything other than how you described him...

Mustn't exist then if you don't know any, sorry about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Kind of on different pages here l think. l am of the O that doing anything against/for/with AL whatever you think of him, is frustratingly pointless with Sharky McCoingrab circling keeping his nostrils open for the smell of 'repayments' towards his 'outlay'.

To flip that on its head, if AL bought the lot off Blitz would our troubles be over?

 

I think we have 2 problems - a shit owner of the football club and a shit owner of the ground.

 

We need as many people floating as many different ideas as possible as to how we solve each of those problems.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To flip that on its head, if AL bought the lot off Blitz would our troubles be over?

 

I think we have 2 problems - a shit owner of the football club and a shit owner of the ground.

 

We need as many people floating as many different ideas as possible as to how we solve each of those problems.  


Clearly not.  However,  we would be a FAR more attractive proposition to other parties should he become bored or we went in to admin. 
 

Any ideas have to involve getting the ground away from Blitz for a fair price.  Good luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I see what youre saying. Its similar to that podcast with the CEO guy he was on about trying to get them both round a table. Problem is, it's all already been said and Blitz wants £6m end of. In about 18 months when he's sold Little Wembley or another car park, it will still be £6M. Possibly more.

Unless anybody has got it and is willing to pay it, it's probably gna take a few months to even get him to a (virtual) table, so it's probably an idea to have a few tables with the FLG and the odd fan like yourself to get all the stuff covered before we even try.

Probably needs to speak to his boss a bit too.

Thing is who wants to buy a big enclose hospitality suite in a pandemic? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

AL bought the lot off Blitz would our troubles be over?

 

 

l don't know. Blitz and his stupid prices won't let us find out. If youre asking if l'd actually want AL to own it all then short answer is yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OAFCMIKE said:

First of all, thanks for putting your sweeping generalisation about 'modern journalists' to one side and listening to an hour's free content. Mine (and I'm sure Matt's) pleasure.

 

I'll leave the digs about Saturday (as I'm sure you're well aware that we are all entitled to an opinion) other than to say that if you thought that was anything other than a fluke then you need your head feeling.

 

While, as I said, the stand and the land are an issue (and a big one at that) they are not 'THE issue'.

 

A few of many examples.

 

Did the stand disrupt a season by bringing in busloads of not-fit-for-purpose players?
Did the stand oversee our relegation to the bottom tier for the first time in decades?
Did the stand stop pension payments to staff?

Did the stand sack Frankie Bunn with us a place above where we are now in the table?

Was the stand responsible for Pete Wild turning down his dream job and then pitching up at non-league Halifax months later?
Did the stand bring in Laurent Banide?
Did the stand sign Urko Vera?

Did the stand have a place on the table at Royton Cricket Club?

Was the stand cited by Paul Scholes when he left after 31 days?

Did the stand alienate a series of decent players (including one who is still at the club playing with the kids while our defence ships daft goals every weekend)?
Did the stand get GMP to launch a fruitless investigation?

 

As I said - the vision of a community-owned stadium in town was 'utopia'. I agree that the asking price needs to be lowered. I don't agree that there's no interest from elsewhere, as hard as that it is to believe. I also believe the asking price from AL, if there is one, needs to be made public. 


You come across as very bitter Mike.  Maybe Saturday was a fluke, but who cares?? You seem offended that we won, I will presume that’s because you conflate the team winning with giving AL credit. Which is a shame. 

 

You then go on to list things that we already know, and the vast majority of fans see and understand- so what’s your point- we have a very poor/unpopular owner?

 

No Shit. 
 

The only way AL goes is if the club is whole. Either from AL buying from Blitz, or Blitz buying the badge if AL runs out of money. 
 

No one with any credibility will buy a badge. Or negotiate with two different owners. 
 

So the stand is THE issue. 
 

The rest is just rehashing what we already know. 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OAFCMIKE said:

if you thought that was anything other than a fluke then you need your head feeling.

I disagree, we were the better side in the second half and we took our chances, that's not a fluke. They were two very well taken goals, nothing lucky about that. Yes, Salford could've been 3-0 up at half-time but you could say the same about us at Cheltenham, and nobody was calling Cheltenham's win a fluke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

 

 

(PS. it went wrong with Scholes because he is inept) 

 


 

 

The rest of your post was really good, but Scholes didn't have the chance to be inept or good or anything.

 

He's since managed Salford for a short time, didn't set the world alight but was competent enough, certainly not inept.

 

If the board managed the Scholes situation well then we could've had opportunities (through potential sponsorship, transfer contacts and increased media coverage to name a few) that probably would've masked a lot of limitations he had as a coach or manager, and if he failed then it would've been down to ineptitude.

 

But they handled it terribly very quickly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l don't know. Blitz and his stupid prices won't let us find out. If youre asking if l'd actually want AL to own it all then short answer is yes.

Personally I'd be very concerned about AL owning the lot.  I don't think he's shown much ability at all in running a football club and I don't think he'd have any problems shitting all over the fans and the town if it meant making his money back.  Much like Blitz.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

 

The rest of your post was really good, but Scholes didn't have the chance to be inept or good or anything.

 

He's since managed Salford for a short time, didn't set the world alight but was competent enough, certainly not inept.

 

If the board managed the Scholes situation well then we could've had opportunities (through potential sponsorship, transfer contacts and increased media coverage to name a few) that probably would've masked a lot of limitations he had as a coach or manager, and if he failed then it would've been down to ineptitude.

 

But they handled it terribly very quickly.


He took over a team that had been in a reasonable run and had beaten Fulham. He’s not getting the credit for the Yeovil game as he’d been here 2 mins and his Midas-touch-in-reverse hadn’t kicked in.  
 

So he managed 6 games, 3 draws and 3 defeats. He leaves and we get 4 wins and 2 draws from the next 6 matches. I say he’s inept.  
 

Salford is micro managed at many different levels. The actual team manager seems to make no difference to their results. Three managers this season with identical tactics snd very similar results. It’s almost as if the players are being bought and positioned without the managers say so... sound familiar? Some of the Salford fans certainly smell ‘a rat’. 
 

 

 

Edited by kowenicki
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Matt unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...