BPAS PODCAST: 1st Feb '21 Episode 20: Mike Keegan

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Personally I'd be very concerned about AL owning the lot.  I don't think he's shown much ability at all in running a football club and I don't think he'd have any problems shitting all over the fans and the town if it meant making his money back.  Much like Blitz.

It’s a grubby means to an end. If you think the current situation is better than AL owning the lot then you aren’t being logical. We simply can never move forward as we are structured. Blitz must listen to offers in the £2m area. He’s deluded and greedy, so he won’t. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The rest of your post was really good, but Scholes didn't have the chance to be inept or good or anything.

He's since managed Salford for a short time, didn't set the world alight but was competent enough, certainly not inept.

If the board managed the Scholes situation well then we could've had opportunities (through potential sponsorship, transfer contacts and increased media coverage to name a few) that probably would've masked a lot of limitations he had as a coach or manager, and if he failed then it would've been down to ineptitude.

But they handled it terribly very quickly.

He was inept. 

It's a near impossible job, but he was the worst at it under this lot. 

And the supposed "profile boost" he was supposed to give the club lasted even less time than he did..

22 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

It’s a grubby means to an end. If you think the current situation is better than AL owning the lot then you aren’t being logical. We simply can never move forward as we are structured. Blitz must listen to offers in the £2m area. He’s deluded and greedy, so he won’t. 

I don't know if the current situation is better or worse than AL owning the lot.  But I don't think it's illogical to think that it might make things worse. Wasn't one of Bury's main problems because ridiculous loans at ridiculous interest rates were taken out by their shit owner using the ground as security?

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't know if the current situation is better or worse than AL owning the lot.  But I don't think it's illogical to think that it might make things worse. Wasn't one of Bury's main problems because ridiculous loans at ridiculous interest rates were taken out by their shit owner using the ground as security?

Yes. I don’t think it is unusual for clubs to have debts leveraged against a stadium asset though? I may be wrong. 

However, we currently have no assets. We are essentially worthless. An administrator has literally nothing to work with. We’d almost certainly be liquidated. 

35 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Yes. I don’t think it is unusual for clubs to have debts leveraged against a stadium asset though? I may be wrong. 

However, we currently have no assets. We are essentially worthless. An administrator has literally nothing to work with. We’d almost certainly be liquidated. 

How does having no assets square with the ACV then? If football at BP is "safe' under the lease until 2033(? can't remember the year) then doesn't that give time at least to find a solution? I can't remember all the details re the ACV so it may be a mirage.

14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

How does having no assets square with the ACV then? If football at BP is "safe' under the lease until 2033(? can't remember the year) then doesn't that give time at least to find a solution? I can't remember all the details re the ACV so it may be a mirage.

Good question. I suspect some incompetency is involved. Or perhaps I’m too cynical. 

If the club (that doesn’t own the ground) is placed in admin, then what has the ACV got to do with anything? 

I struggled with that today largely because you entered a football debate with someone who openly admitted they’d watched 3 games all season!Its pretty obvious when Bahamboula is singled out for conceding possession regularly that the person in question hasn’t a scooby about the football team!In fairness there was some decent chat but if you question the young lads interviews on the official site for irrelevant questions then you’ve surely gotta end the footy chat there when he’s not been watching regularly enough to form a balanced opinion?Anyhow Matt look forward to next weeks pod,just my 2 pennies worth!

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

My understanding is that the ACV doesn’t guarantee football at BP. It gives the trust the right to put in a bid to buy the stadium before it is sold to a n other. There is no obligation to accept such an offer. The only thing it guarantees is that if the owner wanted to sell the stadium, that couldn’t happen for six months after an initial notification to that effect. Great to have it but it’s no safety net. 

In my last days of involvement with the trust I made it absolutely clear that one of their top priorities should be to do what they can to ensure the sale of BP supports the future of football on site. Layering in legal obligations into the contract of sale that don’t exist at the moment. If Blitz and AL care, they won’t have any issue with putting in restrictive covenants.

I sincerely hope the trust is giving that some attention 

I think a major issue which is being overlooked is the number of previously "dyed in the wool" supporters who have lost almost all interest in Latics. I won't go again so long as AL and any of his acolytes are around - and neither will many others. If supporters were allowed to attend I suspect (after a possible initial bounce) we'd struggle to attract 2,000 regular home supporters. I know some will say " sounds like a broken record" but when previously very loyal supporters simply will not attend because of who is in charge, you have a serious problem. As a borough, Oldham and its population have been dreadful at supporting its professional sports teams; the last thing Latics needed was a divisive owner like we have. Disaster - and one from which we may well struggle to recover. I still have a hope that Blitz eventually brings about Administration - ironically, the only route I can see us surviving as a professional club.

7 hours ago, kowenicki said:

You miss a crucial point, though kow. Agree there are very few assets in "the club" (i.e. what AL owns). That, however, means that Blitz (or a separate entity) would be able to buy it cheap from any liquidator in a "fire sale". Thereafter "the club" and "the stadium etc." could be reconstituted under one umbrella - and sold as a truly viable concern (instead of the current fragmented mess). That's always been my hope.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

You miss a crucial point, though kow. Agree there are very few assets in "the club" (i.e. what AL owns). That, however, means that Blitz (or a separate entity) would be able to buy it cheap from any liquidator in a "fire sale". Thereafter "the club" and "the stadium etc." could be reconstituted under one umbrella - and sold as a truly viable concern (instead of the current fragmented mess). That's always been my hope.

You still have to get past the unrealistic Blitz valuation don’t you? Either he buys the club and then wants £6m plus for club and ground. Or someone else buys the club and still has to convince Blitz to sell for a reasonable price. Not sure I see much difference to be honest. 

How much is a unified club/ground worth? What’s the asking price? 

Enjoyed the pod, and it was interesting to listen to Mike Keegan’s views. His feeling towards the club are very similar to my own and many others.

Whilst there was nothing ‘new’ essentially, it’s not surprising people are quick to jump on the back and criticise a fan with a higher profile’s opinion.

People seem to get pissed off when person x criticises AL more than Blitz, or vise-versa. When in reality most fans are well aware of the immense issues cause by both parties, and taking sides on who you blame more is ultimately pointless.

A local journo mentions how good it’d be to have a community stadium within a stones-throw of the town centre and it’s used as a stick to beat him. 

Fans energies need to be more focused into the efforts of banding together and protecting the future of the club, whether that’s with Push The Boundary, helping and turning around The Trust, or both.

You can see a day when the club’s about to go belly-up and folk are still arguing about who needs hammering home as the biggest C U Next Tuesday.

30 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

Enjoyed the pod, and it was interesting to listen to Mike Keegan’s views. His feeling towards the club are very similar to my own and many others.

Whilst there was nothing ‘new’ essentially, it’s not surprising people are quick to jump on the back and criticise a fan with a higher profile’s opinion.

People seem to get pissed off when person x criticises AL more than Blitz, or vise-versa. When in reality most fans are well aware of the immense issues cause by both parties, and taking sides on who you blame more is ultimately pointless.

A local journo mentions how good it’d be to have a community stadium within a stones-throw of the town centre and it’s used as a stick to beat him. 

Fans energies need to be more focused into the efforts of banding together and protecting the future of the club, whether that’s with Push The Boundary, helping and turning around The Trust, or both.

You can see a day when the club’s about to go belly-up and folk are still arguing about who needs hammering home as the biggest C U Next Tuesday.

Couldn't agree more.  Quite why he gets the vitriol he does completely escapes me.

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Formed a strong opinion on a squad he’s seen play 3 times. Says it all 

Indeed... and communicated the opinion with a certain amount of surety.  By his own admission he is not arsed if we win or lose and has seen 3 games. Frankly he shouldn’t have even discussed the team aspects on that basis.

His club ‘insight’ revealed nothing new.

to contra Dave’s option above... 

Quite why he gets the love he gets from some escapes me. He’s just another grumpy ‘fan’ with a job at the Mail. 

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

He’s just another grumpy ‘fan’ with a job at the Mail. 

Which he probably won’t disagree with you about.. so why all the bitterness? Because some of his opinions differ to yours or because he’s a journalist?

1 hour ago, ShireBlue said:

Which he probably won’t disagree with you about.. so why all the bitterness? Because some of his opinions differ to yours or because he’s a journalist?

Bitterness. I think you should read his reply in here to see bitterness. Hates to be questioned or challenged. 

I really struggle to understand why anyone would disagree with anything Mike said on that.  OK, so you can pick at he odd word there and there in a conversation but there's nothing in there that doesn't reflect exactly how I feel.  Like Mike I have seen fewer games than many on here this season - I tried to work out how many but they were so unmemorable I genuinely can't; it's just over half a dozenish I think.  For that reason I tend not to make many comments on particular players - in fact I struggle to remember the names of half the team.  There are two reasons I haven't seen much:  I have things that I prefer to do on a Saturday and I get close to zero excitement from it win, lose or draw.

He's right that a single win is irrelevant and surely we can all see the truth of that?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I really struggle to understand why anyone would disagree with anything Mike said on that.  OK, so you can pick at he odd word there and there in a conversation but there's nothing in there that doesn't reflect exactly how I feel.  Like Mike I have seen fewer games than many on here this season - I tried to work out how many but they were so unmemorable I genuinely can't; it's just over half a dozenish I think.  For that reason I tend not to make many comments on particular players - in fact I struggle to remember the names of half the team.  There are two reasons I haven't seen much:  I have things that I prefer to do on a Saturday and I get close to zero excitement from it win, lose or draw.

He's right that a single win is irrelevant and surely we can all see the truth of that?

There are a section of fans, some who come on here and some journalists who work for the Mail. Who like to tell us they don’t care, and they hardly go. Yet they come on forums and write fairly long posts, or go Pods for an hour and talk about something they purport to not give a toss about. . .

I wish people would stop posting and saying this nonsense, it’s attention seeking and disingenuous. When we win, it’s lucky and irrelevant. When we lose- it’s,  told you so. Some are desperate for the team to fail so it vindicates their feelings about AL.

It’s also incredibly boring to be told things as though their ground breaking when in fact if you really follow the club is largely common knowledge. 

What I like about Matt,  is he’s always looking for the positive angle. (However impossible) He’s knows we’re in deep shit, but doesn’t want to give up. He talks about the team in detail and depth. You know he loves the club, and while I’m on this love in- I actually find the pod (not this one) a bit uplifting in difficult times. 

Other sections of fans can be boring, repetitive, disingenuous, and incredibly depressing. 

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There are a section of fans, some who come on here and some journalists who work for the Mail. Who like to tell us they don’t care, and they hardly go. Yet they come on forums and write fairly long posts, or go Pods for an hour and talk about something they purport to not give a toss about. . .

I wish people would stop posting and saying this nonsense, it’s attention seeking and disingenuous. When we win, it’s lucky and irrelevant. When we lose- it’s,  told you so. Some are desperate for the team to fail so it vindicates their feelings about AL.

It’s also incredibly boring to be told things as though their ground breaking when in fact if you really follow the club is largely common knowledge. 

What I like about Matt,  is he’s always looking for the positive angle. (However impossible) He’s knows we’re in deep shit, but doesn’t want to give up. He talks about the team in detail and depth. You know he loves the club, and while I’m on this love in- I actually find the pod (not this one) a bit uplifting in difficult times. 

Other sections of fans can be boring, repetitive, disingenuous, and incredibly depressing. 

Missing the point really I think. We all care or we wouldn't be here at all. 

Archived