Good outcome for this season?

As the lack of any meaningful activity yesterday would suggest that promotion is not a realistic objective for this season, what would you now regard as a good outcome for this campaign? Personally, I'd now be relatively happy with a top half finish (above Bolton and, even better, Salford), HK having been the first Latics manager to have lasted an entire season since Herbert Bamlett (= a bit of consistency at last) and some kind of honest statement of intent on how we're going to try to get out of this division next season. Realistically, I know I might have to settle for just one or two of those.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Could never categorise anything less than a promotion push as Good.

Totally agree, no reason we should not be challenging. However, given where we are right now I'd take top half finish and the mathematical possibility (however unlikely) of play offs by the start of Easter.

32 minutes ago, Handsy said:

I think most fans  would be happy if we went into the last month of the season with a glimmer of hope  of reaching the playoffs but most fans my self included will be probably disappointed 

Top Ten finish with a view to automatic or play-offs next season, for me that would be a positive. The key is to build for next season, instead of re-assembling a whole new squad which is what has happened virtually every season for the past 10 years. Stability is all it takes, but at Latics that has been absent for such a long time now.

11 minutes ago, singe said:

Totally agree, no reason we should not be challenging. However, given where we are right now I'd take top half finish and the mathematical possibility (however unlikely) of play offs by the start of Easter.

Exactly, there is no reason why we shouldn't be challenging, especially when you look at the teams who are, the reality of course is that we're not so it's all about trying to finish the season with as much possitivity as possible (again).

3 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Top Ten finish with a view to automatic or play-offs next season, for me that would be a positive. The key is to build for next season, instead of re-assembling a whole new squad which is what has happened virtually every season for the past 10 years. Stability is all it takes, but at Latics that has been absent for such a long time now.

100%, we desperately need some stability. Hopefully we've got it in HK, it would be good to have him taking us into next season. He's not been spectacular, but for me he's shown that he's learning and also that he can work with the ownership. I think that, given time, there could be really good things to come from him.

Think recruitment and performance next season will be pivotal. There has been a slight change for the better within the club this season and if Harry is still here and he can continue to progress then Abdallah may well get a stay of execution, however, we must be challenging in the top 7.

Hopefully fans will be back in the stadium but that will also put much more pressure on Kewell and his players to perform. A bad start and a struggling team I feel will not be tolerated next term and fan unrest and demonstrations will become common place. They’ve had an easy ride in home fixtures with the Covid lockdown where home performances have been absolutely abysmal!

Next season fans will expect a big improvement and although we’ll have a near new squad once again there can be no excuses and the team will have to hit the ground running.

I am hopeful but in no way confident we’ll be better...time will tell!

11 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Think recruitment and performance next season will be pivotal. There has been a slight change for the better within the club this season and if Harry is still here and he can continue to progress then Abdallah may well get a stay of execution, however, we must be challenging in the top 7.

How many stays of execution can one man get...?

A late push into the playoffs is the minimum we should be expecting 

Just look at the teams currently in the automatic places and playoff slots

2nd Forest Green

4th Cheltenham

6th Morecambe

7th Newport

Nothing else makes any sense other than to have the ambition to be able to chase these clubs down

With respect to these clubs, anyone at the club even thinking of finishing below any of them should pack their bags and find another line of work

11 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Nothing else makes any sense other than to have the ambition to be able to chase these clubs down

With respect to these clubs, anyone at the club even thinking of finishing below any of them should pack their bags and find another line of work

No, no, no. That's not the narrative.

Repeat after me: "we're lucky to have a club! we're lucky to have a club! Bury... Stockport... Chester..."

29 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

No, no, no. That's not the narrative.

Repeat after me: "we're lucky to have a club! we're lucky to have a club! Bury... Stockport... Chester..."

Made me chuckle that :applause1:

Just over half way through the season and we're smack bang mid-table even after our abysmal Home form this season, to me is a platform for a minimum playoff push

:chubb:

57 minutes ago, tGWB said:

A late push into the playoffs is the minimum we should be expecting 

Just look at the teams currently in the automatic places and playoff slots

2nd Forest Green

4th Cheltenham

6th Morecambe

7th Newport

Such a ridiculous mindset. No wonder we get accused of living in the past.

1 minute ago, tGWB said:

You're kidding yeah 🤔🤔

Maybe had 3 good seasons in 30 years, basically living hand to mouth for the last 10 but we should be expecting to push for playoffs? Let's get in the real world.

This snobby entitled attitude that some fans have that clubs with a less illustrious history can't be better in the here and now is a millstone.

Archived