Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Maybe had 3 good seasons in 30 years, basically living hand to mouth for the last 10 but we should be expecting to push for playoffs? Let's get in the real world.

 

This snobby entitled attitude that some fans have that clubs with a less illustrious history can't be better in the here and now is a millstone.

Indeed.  Those clubs at the top of the division may be small historically but they're infinitely better run.  Morecambe are remarkable; now the longest standing residents of this league (14tth season) despite having the smallest crowds in most if not all of those seasons and being favourites for relegation pretty much every year. And managing to build a new, revenue producing stadium during that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Abdallah out?

The mere fact there are no outstanding teams this season make promotion a lot easier than usual. I don't expect it will concern us but it's definitely a missed opportunity. With a modicum of prud

I had a look at our position in Feb 2019, just before Scholes took over, we were 9 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. So a relatively comparable position to our current one.   In 2

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Maybe had 3 good seasons in 30 years, basically living hand to mouth for the last 10 but we should be expecting to push for playoffs? Let's get in the real world.

 

This snobby entitled attitude that some fans have that clubs with a less illustrious history can't be better in the here and now is a millstone.


Firstly a point of order Eyresy 

 

Fotget the ‘pinch me years’ they were a football miracle 

Until the last few seasons we spent over 20 years in League One which is most certainly not a “snobby and entitled attitude” its our benchmark for expectations

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tGWB said:


Firstly a point of order Eyresy 

 

Fotget the ‘pinch me years’ they were a football miracle 

Until the last few seasons we spent over 20 years in League One which is most certainly not a “snobby and entitled attitude” its our benchmark for expectations

I take the point but we're not obviously out of place like a Bolton or a Bradford or punching below our budget like a Mansfield, Salford or Tranmere.

 

Hoping you might make the playoffs is one thing but there's no logic in expecting it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Maybe had 3 good seasons in 30 years, basically living hand to mouth for the last 10 but we should be expecting to push for playoffs? Let's get in the real world.

 

This snobby entitled attitude that some fans have that clubs with a less illustrious history can't be better in the here and now is a millstone.

For me it's nothing to do with us being a premier league team 25 years ago.  There are several clubs above us who operate on similar crowds to us (pre-covid obviously) and don't have any obvious advantages over us in terms of location/history/rich owners etc.  That is why we should be competing with them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For me it's nothing to do with us being a premier league team 25 years ago.  There are several clubs above us who operate on similar crowds to us (pre-covid obviously) and don't have any obvious advantages over us in terms of location/history/rich owners etc.  That is why we should be competing with them.

We are 4 wins off being top of the league which is nothing in a low scoring sport of fine margins really...

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

For me it's nothing to do with us being a premier league team 25 years ago.  There are several clubs above us who operate on similar crowds to us (pre-covid obviously) and don't have any obvious advantages over us in terms of location/history/rich owners etc.  That is why we should be competing with them.

 

I think you may have inadvertently used the wrong adjective in front of owners there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We are 4 wins off being top of the league which is nothing in a low scoring sport of fine margins really...

Ok? But the thread is about expectations for the rest of the season.  Someone said that they expected us to be chasing down and competing with a few of the clubs at the top, and you said that was a ridiculous mindset and likened it to living in the past.  I then responded to give other reasons why we should expect to be able to compete with those clubs.  Whether we're currently competing with them is a different discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

 

I think you may have inadvertently used the wrong adjective in front of owners there.

Ha, I used that in reference to Salford, who aren't a fair comparison due to their 'throw millions at the problem' attitude.

 

Those clubs do have huge owner-related advantages though, as in theirs are probably capable of running a football club properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I take the point but we're not obviously out of place like a Bolton or a Bradford or punching below our budget like a Mansfield, Salford or Tranmere.

 

Hoping you might make the playoffs is one thing but there's no logic in expecting it.


we.need to be realistic in our aspirations of course 

 

Sat in the shadows of two of the richest clubs on the Planet

The town a shadow of its former industrial strength and now poor

Population at the tipping point of 50/50 White British v Asian who only support the Premier League

 

All the above significantly restrict our ability to improve revenues with higher attendances.
The board at a q&a stated we need 6,000 just to break even


The Championship is well beyond us financially but a place in a League where we have lived for over 20 years until recently is not beyond us 

 

Well Organised and Highly Motivated Teams have always performed well in football

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I'm not sure I can agree with that when I see Wycombe there...


fair point but theyre already 12 points off safety and its only halfway through the season 

 

For me the Championship will continue to drop big clubs into League One who will in more cases than not get promoted back within 2-3 years restricting  ‘genuine League One clubs’ chances of promotion

 

Of course there will be exceptions 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JohnG123 said:

Financially survive as a football club...................... 

I agree.   A result would be to have survived.    It would also be rather nice to go to a live game or two before this campaign is over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I'm not sure I can agree with that when I see Wycombe there...

They're like Yeovil and Burton. Traditionally non league outfits who got above their place and were spectacularly slapped back down 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't understand why AL still rusts Mo with his money after all the dross he has brought into the club.

 

Jeff Bazoss may be looking for a new challenge. Forget going to Mars and have a go running OAFC. Anyone know his phone number?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I just can't understand why AL still rusts Mo with his money after all the dross he has brought into the club.

 

Jeff Bazoss may be looking for a new challenge. Forget going to Mars and have a go running OAFC. Anyone know his phone number?

AL just can't lose face by admitting that his brother hasn't got a bloody clue. I'll give Mo credit if was him who brought Bahamboula in, but just one out of all his other "finds" just isn't good enough, although at a pinch you could say that Sylla and Missilou weren't too bad. Not consistently good enough though. Any other club would have got rid of their Sporting Director (or whatever they choose to call them) long before now.

 

Problem is, AL won't want to lose face by packing it all in, either. So I reckon we're stuck with the pair of them for the foreseeable unless someone with incredibly deep pockets (extremely doubtful, I know) comes in with an offer he can't refuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

AL just can't lose face by admitting that his brother hasn't got a bloody clue. I'll give Mo credit if was him who brought Bahamboula in, but just one out of all his other "finds" just isn't good enough, although at a pinch you could say that Sylla and Missilou weren't too bad. Not consistently good enough though. Any other club would have got rid of their Sporting Director (or whatever they choose to call them) long before now.

 

Problem is, AL won't want to lose face by packing it all in, either. So I reckon we're stuck with the pair of them for the foreseeable unless someone with incredibly deep pockets (extremely doubtful, I know) comes in with an offer he can't refuse.

He was on trial at swindon before us, so I'm not sure he can even get credit for bam

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He was on trial at swindon before us, so I'm not sure he can even get credit for bam

Honestly didn't realise that. So, was it Harry who knew about him, or was he just offered to us by his agent? I've a funny feeling that's how most of our dross has landed up here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, al_bro said:

I just can't understand why AL still rusts Mo with his money after all the dross he has brought into the club.

 

Jeff Bazoss may be looking for a new challenge. Forget going to Mars and have a go running OAFC. Anyone know his phone number?

From one Amazon to another but with the trees cut down

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at our position in Feb 2019, just before Scholes took over, we were 9 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. So a relatively comparable position to our current one.

 

In 2019, with 3 games to go, we controlled our own destiny to make the playoffs (if we’d have won the last 3 games we were in, no matter what anyone else did). That is the least I’d expect from us in this division, but I don’t think many have classed that as a playoff push. While a lot of clubs in this division are well run and achieving a good level compared to their historical status, we aren’t. Based on history we should be competing for automatic promotion every year at this level. Even if you put those clubs with significant financial support but no history (FGR and Salford), above us, we should still be competing for a play-off spot. The issue is we aren’t well run and haven’t been since Blitz and Gazal left (at the most recent). So we aren’t meeting expectations at this level.

 

This season still isn’t certain to finish (I think it will having got this far), on the pitch I’d be satisfied with the current projection, that might be enough to get us to a play-off push. Off the pitch I’d like a bit more stability and no avoidable player disputes. If someone takes the likes of McAleny, Bahamboula and Dearnley off our hands because they offered them a better deal then that’s not really avoidable. The issue is the likes of Wheater, who really should be playing but won’t play for us again and Rowe who we let go for a small fee because we knew he wasn’t going to accept a new contract due to the issues over the summer. I do think AL and MO are showing signs of learning from some of their mistakes especially for player recruitment, player retention is the opposite. Unless AL gets an offer he can’t refuse, and he won’t due to Blitz’s asking price for the land, we are stuck with him and his brother. So I doubt AL and MO will leave. However, there is another board member who I’d like to see leave, and there’s a more realistic likelihood of him leaving, but a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing and he’s got F-all.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Honestly didn't realise that. So, was it Harry who knew about him, or was he just offered to us by his agent? I've a funny feeling that's how most of our dross has landed up here.

Not sure but he was defo on trial, I assume rejected by wellens 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I had a look at our position in Feb 2019, just before Scholes took over, we were 9 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. So a relatively comparable position to our current one.

 

In 2019, with 3 games to go, we controlled our own destiny to make the playoffs (if we’d have won the last 3 games we were in, no matter what anyone else did). That is the least I’d expect from us in this division, but I don’t think many have classed that as a playoff push. While a lot of clubs in this division are well run and achieving a good level compared to their historical status, we aren’t. Based on history we should be competing for automatic promotion every year at this level. Even if you put those clubs with significant financial support but no history (FGR and Salford), above us, we should still be competing for a play-off spot. The issue is we aren’t well run and haven’t been since Blitz and Gazal left (at the most recent). So we aren’t meeting expectations at this level.

 

This season still isn’t certain to finish (I think it will having got this far), on the pitch I’d be satisfied with the current projection, that might be enough to get us to a play-off push. Off the pitch I’d like a bit more stability and no avoidable player disputes. If someone takes the likes of McAleny, Bahamboula and Dearnley off our hands because they offered them a better deal then that’s not really avoidable. The issue is the likes of Wheater, who really should be playing but won’t play for us again and Rowe who we let go for a small fee because we knew he wasn’t going to accept a new contract due to the issues over the summer. I do think AL and MO are showing signs of learning from some of their mistakes especially for player recruitment, player retention is the opposite. Unless AL gets an offer he can’t refuse, and he won’t due to Blitz’s asking price for the land, we are stuck with him and his brother. So I doubt AL and MO will leave. However, there is another board member who I’d like to see leave, and there’s a more realistic likelihood of him leaving, but a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing and he’s got F-all.

Spot on Rude. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...