Good outcome for this season?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I'm not sure I can agree with that when I see Wycombe there...

There is always an exception to the rule. I can count on one hand the number of times a team the size and stature of Oldham athletic has made it to the championship in the last 20 years. Its highly unlikely. 

16 hours ago, Andy b said:

There is always an exception to the rule. I can count on one hand the number of times a team the size and stature of Oldham athletic has made it to the championship in the last 20 years. Its highly unlikely. 

You must have a lot of fingers on that hand. Since 1999/2000 the following have been promoted from L1 to the Championship (as these divisions are now known):

Gillingham

Millwall(three times)

Rotherham(four times)

Walsall

Wigan (three times - they were a small club in 2002/03)

Crewe

Luton(twice - ground capacity no bigger than BP and a non-league team during this period)

Southend

Colchester

Barnsley(three times)

Scunthorpe(twice)

Doncaster(twice)

Peterborough(twice)

Yeovil

MK Dons

Burton

Wycombe

None of these teams had a "stature"any greater than us. If we were a properly run and financed club there is no reason why we could not reach the Championship. Under the current regime, no chance.

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You must have a lot of fingers on that hand. Since 1999/2000 the following have been promoted from L1 to the Championship (as these divisions are now known):

Gillingham

Millwall(three times)

Rotherham(four times)

Walsall

Crewe

Luton(twice - ground capacity no bigger than BP and a non-league team during this period)

Southend

Colchester

Barnsley(three times)

Scunthorpe(twice)

Doncaster(twice)

Peterborough(twice)

Yeovil

MK Dons

Burton

Wycombe

None of these teams had a "stature"any greater than us. If we were a properly run and financed club there is no reason why we could not reach the Championship. Under the current regime, no chance.

I live in Suffolk and even here I haven't met anyone with that many fingers. To be fair though in the current circumstances Ive barely met anyone... 😁 

47 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Gillingham

Millwall(three times)

Rotherham(four times)

Walsall

Crewe

Southend

Colchester

Barnsley(three times)

Scunthorpe(twice)

Doncaster(twice)

Peterborough(twice)

Yeovil

MK Dons

Burton

Wycombe

Our starting position is substantially weaker than most of these. 

get a shit load of investment and it might happen. Organically, it’s highly unlikely 

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Our starting position is substantially weaker than most of these. 

get a shit load of investment and it might happen. Organically, it’s highly unlikely 

Well, every team has to start somewhere. I don't disagree, hence why I've written off the chances under AL. But it is certainly feasible to get there, as even he has recognised. That in itself is an upgrade on Barry "none of that promotion talk round here" Owen.

15 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Well, every team has to start somewhere. I don't disagree, hence why I've written off the chances under AL. But it is certainly feasible to get there, as even he has recognised. That in itself is an upgrade on Barry "none of that promotion talk round here" Owen.

I’ll give you that. We aren’t quite starting from a standing start but we aren’t far off. It would take structural changes to the football club to contemplate getting into the champ. It happens but our baseline position is not great 

21 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I’ll give you that. We aren’t quite starting from a standing start but we aren’t far off. It would take structural changes to the football club to contemplate getting into the champ. It happens but our baseline position is not great 

Quite. 
While investment is the bigger factor, it takes longer to build the culture and infrastructure. I don’t think for instance that if ALMO threw loads of money at us it would guarantee  anything because the above is so poor. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Quite. 
While investment is the bigger factor, it takes longer to build the culture and infrastructure. I don’t think for instance that if ALMO threw loads of money at us it would guarantee  anything because the above is so poor. 

This is what massively concerns me. Forget the champ, I fear that if we had a team good enough to get out of league 2, it’s only one step away from falling apart as at least some of players fundamentally don’t want to be there. We will only ever be a stepping stone for players with ability and ambition. But we could at least be a happy stepping stone where the conditions are conducive to success. I don’t think that’s us.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Quite. 

Spot on with that.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Quite. 

The sad thing is that I have no doubt that he has thrown enough money at it that it could have been successful

14 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Gillingham

Millwall(three times)

Rotherham(four times)

Walsall

Crewe

Southend

Colchester

Barnsley(three times)

Scunthorpe(twice)

Doncaster(twice)

Peterborough(twice)

Yeovil

MK Dons

Burton

Wycombe

Youre grasping at straws with that list 

With the exception of Millwall and maybe Barnsley they are all historically League One and League Two clubs 

Of course clubs can be promoted into the Championship but they increasingly find it near impossible to establish themselves there

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

Youre grasping at straws with that list 

With the exception of Millwall and maybe Barnsley they are all historically League One and League Two clubs 

Of course clubs can be promoted into the Championship but they increasingly find it near impossible to establish themselves there

Not grasping at straws at all. @Andy b's point was about (a) the last 20 years (so limited history), (b) teams getting to the Championship, not about whether or not they stayed there. In any case, several teams on that list did stay there for a number of seasons. 

I'd also add re your historical perspective, that we've spent nearly as long (36 seasons) in the second tier as we have in the third tier (45 seasons). But as he was looking at recent history, when undeniably the gulf between the Championship and L1 has grown, my list above proves that "teams like us" can get there (and in a number of cases stay there). 

40 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Not grasping at straws at all. @Andy b's point was about (a) the last 20 years (so limited history), (b) teams getting to the Championship, not about whether or not they stayed there. In any case, several teams on that list did stay there for a number of seasons. 

I'd also add re your historical perspective, that we've spent nearly as long (36 seasons) in the second tier as we have in the third tier (45 seasons). But as he was looking at recent history, when undeniably the gulf between the Championship and L1 has grown, my list above proves that "teams like us" can get there (and in a number of cases stay there). 

We are at best a League One Club

Every single club in the Championship is 'bigger' than we are with the exception of Wycombe and Rotherham, who are both in the drop zone

If we are fortunate enough to build a team capable of getting into the Championship we simply don't have the pulling power or catchment area to attract enough fans through the turnstiles to allow us to compete

23 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Every single club in the Championship is 'bigger' than we are with the exception of Wycombe and Rotherham, who are both in the drop zone

If we are fortunate enough to build a team capable of getting into the Championship we simply don't have the pulling power or catchment area to attract enough fans through the turnstiles to allow us to compete

We are nowhere near as ‘big’ as Rotherham. Look at their ground, their average crowds and their whole set up. We could be that, but then so could anyone. It would take a monumental change on every level to be able to compare ourselves favourably to Rotherham 

2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We are nowhere near as ‘big’ as Rotherham. Look at their ground, their average crowds and their whole set up. We could be that, but then so could anyone. It would take a monumental change on every level to be able to compare ourselves favourably to Rotherham 

on reflection maybe Andy but I excluded them because they're disadvantaged being sat in the shadow of the two Sheffield clubs which restricts their capability to increase their Home attendances to the levels needed to sustain them as a Championship club and historically they are a League One, League Two team

Fair point though

7 minutes ago, tGWB said:

on reflection maybe Andy but I excluded them because they're disadvantaged being sat in the shadow of the two Sheffield clubs which restricts their capability to increase their Home attendances to the levels needed to sustain them as a Championship club and historically they are a League One, League Two team

Fair point though

They are a model of where we could get to- their crowds were 3.5 k 10 years ago. 

there are many other clubs with the same potential though. 

24 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Capacity 12,000 or so last time I looked. I don't want to turn this into a Rotherham thread but come on....

54 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Do you own a red fleece?

Did I imagine the 17 seasons in the second tier, never mind the brief trip to the top tier?

If we somehow build a successful side, with professional off-field management, the fans will come. Otherwise, what's the point?

24 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Do you own a red fleece?

Did I imagine the 17 seasons in the second tier, never mind the brief trip to the top tier?

If we somehow build a successful side, with professional off-field management, the fans will come. Otherwise, what's the point?

It's a different world. The gap now from Championship to L1 is way bigger than the gap was between the old Divisions one and two in pre Premiership days

If ambition ends at league 1 we might as well pack it all in now. The lack of any sort of success over the last 30 years has brainwashed some of our fan base into accepting mediocrity!!

I really hope the top clubs do break away into a European super league...having City & United playing less games and not dominating our domestic league I think would help ourselves and the smaller clubs to attract extra fans and create more interest in the lower leagues!!

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

If ambition ends at league 1 we might as well pack it all in now. The lack of any sort of success over the last 30 years has brainwashed some of our fan base into accepting mediocrity!!

I really hope the top clubs do break away into a European super league...having City & United playing less games and not dominating our domestic league I think would help ourselves and the smaller clubs to attract extra fans and create more interest in the lower leagues!!

No matter how hopeful we are, us playing Forest Green is not going to have the same pull as United v Liverpool. The fans will just go with the games. If ITV digital couldn't make it, then not much will. Streaming is the way it's going, whether we can earn more off the back of it nor not.

Archived