Good outcome for this season?

14 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I remember a few years ago when a Utd fan said I could never get as much enjoyment from supporting my team as him as he had seen his club win the champions league and I never would 

No need for a response.

FFS.

I'd rather talk to someone who didn't like football..

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I remember a few years ago when a Utd fan said I could never get as much enjoyment from supporting my team as him as he had seen his club win the champions league and I never would 

No need for a response.

Oh christ I'd rather get aids than talk about football with someone like that.

For the record I think their are United and City fans who understand why people like us support clubs like Oldham and you can engage with them.

However people who don't understand why people like us follow clubs like Oldham don't understand football.

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh christ I'd rather get aids than talk about football with someone like that.

For the record I think their are United and City fans who understand why people like us support clubs like Oldham and you can engage with them.

However people who don't understand why people like us follow clubs like Oldham don't understand football.

In my experience utd fans fall into the latter category. It’s fair enough. There is no common ground. Why would they understand ?

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Absolutely it is...

Can't imagine how boring supporting a big team must be.

I know several Liverpool fans who found last season anything but boring - their 20 years of mediocrity might not be the same as ours but even the big clubs have genuine supporters 

7 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I know several Liverpool fans who found last season anything but boring - their 20 years of mediocrity might not be the same as ours but even the big clubs have genuine supporters 

Oh yeah.  "30 years of hurt" and all that..

I don't doubt the big clubs have genuine supporters, but a healthy proportion of them probably aren't even aware of our existence..

11 hours ago, Andy b said:

No need for a response.

It’s all relative. I can’t imagine anyone on the pitch after Redfearn’s penalty was thinking, “this is fun but if only it was the European cup final.”

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Oh yeah.  "30 years of hurt" and all that..

I don't doubt the big clubs have genuine supporters, but a healthy proportion of them probably aren't even aware of our existence..

Never ever, entered my head that I'd be following any of the big clubs,

I was born in Oldham, brought up watching Oldham and will continue to do so till my last breath. 

The support your local club thing, which obviously I subscribe to, is very much a North Western thing because there are so many clubs. There are huge swathes of the country that are nowhere near a professional club and it's hardly surprising that kids growing up in those areas are more likely to attach themselves to a big club. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The support your local club thing, which obviously I subscribe to, is very much a North Western thing because there are so many clubs. There are huge swathes of the country that are nowhere near a professional club and it's hardly surprising that kids growing up in those areas are more likely to attach themselves to a big club. 

Why aren't the club doing more to get this potential fan base on board? 

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I was born in Oldham, brought up watching Oldham and will continue to do so till my last breath. 

I was brought up watching Oldham but have enjoyed watching Liverpool more in recent seasons than Latics.

Now a days I'm definitely one of those who come out of the woodwork to visit a new ground just to tick it off the list.

The last game I went to was Salford away and we left after 50 minutes with many others.  As leaving everybody was saying they couldn't watch that shite every week.  

Besides the remaining season ticket holders, I think that's the general opinion of most Latics fans.

12 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I still don't think most United fans would get the enjoyment we go from even Fulham much less the 90's, but I could cut a bit of slack for Liverpool or Forest fans doing all the European nights in the 70's/80's as that was relatively trailblazing stuff and imagine there would be a story or two to hear. But still they will have been used to succes so not even the same stratosphere as us.

3 minutes ago, singe said:

I still don't think most United fans would get the enjoyment we go from even Fulham much less the 90's, but I could cut a bit of slack for Liverpool or Forest fans doing all the European nights in the 70's/80's as that was relatively trailblazing stuff and imagine there would be a story or two to hear. But still they will have been used to succes so not even the same stratosphere as us.

Comparing apples and pears. Totally different experience. 

There are a number of clubs which I think it would be genuinely miserable to support almost as much as us. Those that float between top champ and bottom prem, who know they aren’t going anywhere and never ever get anywhere in the cups. West brom

and Newcastle immediately spring to mind. 

2 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

Besides the remaining season ticket holders, I think that's the general opinion of most Latics fans.

I’ve known a few season ticket holders myself included who have missed games cos ‘ I can’t be arsed’

Personally, I haven’t missed Boundary Park at all during this pandemic but have really missed the ‘away trips’

We really have been ‘proper’ shite for a good while now and I think even the usually loyal fans really have had enough of this football club.

I’ve also spoken to several older ‘City fans’ who after several years of dominance are now ‘bored shitless’ and would swap the Etihad for Maine Road in a heartbeat!!

We somehow need to reinvent our football club, get our town interested and want to come and watch their local club......How we do that God only knows!!

What I do know is, a few more

seasons like this under the ‘Lemmy’s’ and the club I fear will be gone forever!!

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve known a few season ticket holders myself included who have missed games cos ‘ I can’t be arsed’

Personally, I haven’t missed Boundary Park at all during this pandemic but have really missed the ‘away trips’

We really have been ‘proper’ shite for a good while now and I think even the usually loyal fans really have had enough of this football club.

I’ve also spoken to several older ‘City fans’ who after several years of dominance are now ‘bored shitless’ and would swap the Etihad for Maine Road in a heartbeat!!

We somehow need to reinvent our football club, get our town interested and want to come and watch their local club......How we do that God only knows!!

What I do know is, a few more

seasons like this under the ‘Lemmy’s’ and the club I fear will be gone forever!!

It all starts with the youngsters and getting them to buy into their home town club at primary school level, meet the players, tickets for games and encouraging being seen in a club shirt by handing some out

but it's more difficult nowadays, with so much exposure given to all the Big club's top superstars on TV and the various gaming platform's.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

And you thought you would be enjoying retirement...

Having attended a couple of matches with my sister in the mid to late 70s .... watching us destroy Huddersfield 6-0 ... I was finally hooked in 85-86 season ... in the chaddy .... stood just behind the goal ... the atmosphere as the team came on was amazing .... That was the season we failed to win the playoffs when any other season we would have gone up automatically. I was a season ticket holder and regular away fan until 1996 when my best mate emigrated to America ..... I tried really hard to continue to go, sadly it became more of a financial burden and I stopped being a season ticket until 2002 ... i got one and again the atmosphere was how I remembered it again a play off season.... Dowie  .... there was somethong to buy into. These days I attend less than 5 home games and couple of juicy aways or grounds that remain unvisited. I still love Latics .... my mate is actually coming back fron stateside in 2021 ... I wonder ....... will next season be the one where I start to go regularly again. lets see !!

On 07/02/2021 at 11:24 AM, oafc 123 said:

I was brought up watching Oldham but have enjoyed watching Liverpool more in recent seasons than Latics.

Now a days I'm definitely one of those who come out of the woodwork to visit a new ground just to tick it off the list.

The last game I went to was Salford away and we left after 50 minutes with many others.  As leaving everybody was saying they couldn't watch that shite every week.  

Can't understand why anybody would go to the trouble of buying a ticket, travelling to the game then leaving early. No matter how poor the game.

Still, different strokes for different folks.

Archived