Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I remember a few years ago when a Utd fan said I could never get as much enjoyment from supporting my team as him as he had seen his club win the champions league and I never would 
 

No need for a response.
 

 

 

FFS.

 

I'd rather talk to someone who didn't like football..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Abdallah out?

I had a look at our position in Feb 2019, just before Scholes took over, we were 9 points off the playoffs with a game in hand. So a relatively comparable position to our current one.   In 2

The mere fact there are no outstanding teams this season make promotion a lot easier than usual. I don't expect it will concern us but it's definitely a missed opportunity. With a modicum of prud

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I remember a few years ago when a Utd fan said I could never get as much enjoyment from supporting my team as him as he had seen his club win the champions league and I never would 
 

No need for a response.
 

 

 

Oh christ I'd rather get aids than talk about football with someone like that.

 

For the record I think their are United and City fans who understand why people like us support clubs like Oldham and you can engage with them.

 

However people who don't understand why people like us follow clubs like Oldham don't understand football.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

 

Oh christ I'd rather get aids than talk about football with someone like that.

 

For the record I think their are United and City fans who understand why people like us support clubs like Oldham and you can engage with them.

 

However people who don't understand why people like us follow clubs like Oldham don't understand football.

In my experience utd fans fall into the latter category. It’s fair enough. There is no common ground. Why would they understand ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeP said:

 

Absolutely it is...

 

Can't imagine how boring supporting a big team must be.


I know several Liverpool fans who found last season anything but boring - their 20 years of mediocrity might not be the same as ours but even the big clubs have genuine supporters 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:


I know several Liverpool fans who found last season anything but boring - their 20 years of mediocrity might not be the same as ours but even the big clubs have genuine supporters 

 

Oh yeah.  "30 years of hurt" and all that..

 

I don't doubt the big clubs have genuine supporters, but a healthy proportion of them probably aren't even aware of our existence..

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Andy b said:

I remember a few years ago when a Utd fan said I could never get as much enjoyment from supporting my team as him as he had seen his club win the champions league and I never would 
 

No need for a response.
 

 

It’s all relative. I can’t imagine anyone on the pitch after Redfearn’s penalty was thinking, “this is fun but if only it was the European cup final.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

 

Oh yeah.  "30 years of hurt" and all that..

 

I don't doubt the big clubs have genuine supporters, but a healthy proportion of them probably aren't even aware of our existence..

Never ever, entered my head that I'd be following any of the big clubs,

I was born in Oldham, brought up watching Oldham and will continue to do so till my last breath. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The support your local club thing, which obviously I subscribe to, is very much a North Western thing because there are so many clubs. There are huge swathes of the country that are nowhere near a professional club and it's hardly surprising that kids growing up in those areas are more likely to attach themselves to a big club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The support your local club thing, which obviously I subscribe to, is very much a North Western thing because there are so many clubs. There are huge swathes of the country that are nowhere near a professional club and it's hardly surprising that kids growing up in those areas are more likely to attach themselves to a big club. 

Why aren't the club doing more to get this potential fan base on board? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Magic Mikey said:

Why aren't the club doing more to get this potential fan base on board? 

I'll have a word. I can't understand why my partners kids, brought up near Chelmsford, aren't Latics mad.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Never ever, entered my head that I'd be following any of the big clubs,

I was born in Oldham, brought up watching Oldham and will continue to do so till my last breath. 

 

I was brought up watching Oldham but have enjoyed watching Liverpool more in recent seasons than Latics.

 

Now a days I'm definitely one of those who come out of the woodwork to visit a new ground just to tick it off the list.

 

The last game I went to was Salford away and we left after 50 minutes with many others.  As leaving everybody was saying they couldn't watch that shite every week.  

 

Besides the remaining season ticket holders, I think that's the general opinion of most Latics fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It’s all relative. I can’t imagine anyone on the pitch after Redfearn’s penalty was thinking, “this is fun but if only it was the European cup final.”

As I say. It didn’t need a response 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:


I know several Liverpool fans who found last season anything but boring - their 20 years of mediocrity might not be the same as ours but even the big clubs have genuine supporters 

I still don't think most United fans would get the enjoyment we go from even Fulham much less the 90's, but I could cut a bit of slack for Liverpool or Forest fans doing all the European nights in the 70's/80's as that was relatively trailblazing stuff and imagine there would be a story or two to hear. But still they will have been used to succes so not even the same stratosphere as us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, singe said:

I still don't think most United fans would get the enjoyment we go from even Fulham much less the 90's, but I could cut a bit of slack for Liverpool or Forest fans doing all the European nights in the 70's/80's as that was relatively trailblazing stuff and imagine there would be a story or two to hear. But still they will have been used to succes so not even the same stratosphere as us.

Comparing apples and pears. Totally different experience. 
 

There are a number of clubs which I think it would be genuinely miserable to support almost as much as us. Those that float between top champ and bottom prem, who know they aren’t going anywhere and never ever get anywhere in the cups. West brom

and Newcastle immediately spring to mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

 

Besides the remaining season ticket holders, I think that's the general opinion of most Latics fans.


I’ve known a few season ticket holders myself included who have missed games cos ‘ I can’t be arsed’

 

Personally, I haven’t missed Boundary Park at all during this pandemic but have really missed the ‘away trips’

We really have been ‘proper’ shite for a good while now and I think even the usually loyal fans really have had enough of this football club.

 

I’ve also spoken to several older ‘City fans’ who after several years of dominance are now ‘bored shitless’ and would swap the Etihad for Maine Road in a heartbeat!!

 

We somehow need to reinvent our football club, get our town interested and want to come and watch their local club......How we do that God only knows!!

 

What I do know is, a few more

seasons like this under the ‘Lemmy’s’ and the club I fear will be gone forever!!

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by oafc1955
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:


I’ve known a few season ticket holders myself included who have missed games cos ‘ I can’t be arsed’

 

Personally, I haven’t missed Boundary Park at all during this pandemic but have really missed the ‘away trips’

We really have been ‘proper’ shite for a good while now and I think even the usually loyal fans really have had enough of this football club.

 

I’ve also spoken to several older ‘City fans’ who after several years of dominance are now ‘bored shitless’ and would swap the Etihad for Maine Road in a heartbeat!!

 

We somehow need to reinvent our football club, get our town interested and want to come and watch their local club......How we do that God only knows!!

 

What I do know is, a few more

seasons like this under the ‘Lemmy’s’ and the club I fear will be gone forever!!

 

 

 

 

 

It all starts with the youngsters and getting them to buy into their home town club at primary school level, meet the players, tickets for games and encouraging being seen in a club shirt by handing some out

but it's more difficult nowadays, with so much exposure given to all the Big club's top superstars on TV and the various gaming platform's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 6:19 PM, latics22 said:

Monty was a red until I educated him to the mighty Oldham. 

This is true. Two of us he dragged the opposite way to everybody else. l was 11 the other lad was 13. You must have had some real charisma in those day image.jpeg.b13e35d9b73697cedf62c6ed5cf1db65.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

Never ever, entered my head that I'd be following any of the big clubs,

I was born in Oldham, brought up watching Oldham and will continue to do so till my last breath. 

 

And you thought you would be enjoying retirement...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having attended a couple of matches with my sister in the mid to late 70s .... watching us destroy Huddersfield 6-0 ... I was finally hooked in 85-86 season ... in the chaddy .... stood just behind the goal ... the atmosphere as the team came on was amazing .... That was the season we failed to win the playoffs when any other season we would have gone up automatically. I was a season ticket holder and regular away fan until 1996 when my best mate emigrated to America ..... I tried really hard to continue to go, sadly it became more of a financial burden and I stopped being a season ticket until 2002 ... i got one and again the atmosphere was how I remembered it again a play off season.... Dowie  .... there was somethong to buy into. These days I attend less than 5 home games and couple of juicy aways or grounds that remain unvisited. I still love Latics .... my mate is actually coming back fron stateside in 2021 ... I wonder ....... will next season be the one where I start to go regularly again. lets see !!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2021 at 11:24 AM, oafc 123 said:

I was brought up watching Oldham but have enjoyed watching Liverpool more in recent seasons than Latics.

 

Now a days I'm definitely one of those who come out of the woodwork to visit a new ground just to tick it off the list.

 

The last game I went to was Salford away and we left after 50 minutes with many others.  As leaving everybody was saying they couldn't watch that shite every week.  

 

Besides the remaining season ticket holders, I think that's the general opinion of most Latics fans.

Can't understand why anybody would go to the trouble of buying a ticket, travelling to the game then leaving early. No matter how poor the game.

Still, different strokes for different folks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With kewel in charge we now got the extra exposure of some the Australian people who still follow him back there 

 

Imagine if Scholes had stayed on and we get loads more fans and exposure aswell 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...