Good outcome for this season?

This league is absolute garbage. 10 points from 3rd after tonight’s results. Still 20 games to go. Not that we will but literally any sort of consistency or home form and playoffs in reach. Not just in reach actually comfortably achievable. However for me I’d take anything top half and kewell in charge for a second season to try and build something 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been ploughing through the brilliant Quickly Kevin podcasts about 90s football.  A few of them refer (mockingly..) to documentaries about lower league clubs at the time.  Watched these two about Chester and Doncaster.  While their stories aren't identical to ours, there's a lot of concerning similarities:

They Think It's All Rovers - YouTube

Chester City: An American Dream documentary (2000) - YouTube

On 2/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, Careca9 said:

This league is absolute garbage. 10 points from 3rd after tonight’s results. Still 20 games to go. Not that we will but literally any sort of consistency or home form and playoffs in reach. Not just in reach actually comfortably achievable. However for me I’d take anything top half and kewell in charge for a second season to try and build something 

Why does being ten points from third make the league garbage? It means it’s tight. That’s an entirely different point.

Garbage compared to what? Is tier 4 worse now than it used to be? Is there a history of teams going from tier 4 to 3 and going straight back down? On what measure is it garbage?

I here this a lot. I don’t really understand the point being made

55 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Why does being ten points from third make the league garbage? It means it’s tight. That’s an entirely different point.

Same in every sport. If a lot of teams/players/horses/whatever are all very close together the chances are they're not very good as the chances of there being so many good teams/players/horses/whatever around at the same time are very, very slim. 

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Same in every sport. If a lot of teams/players/horses/whatever are all very close together the chances are they're not very good as the chances of there being so many good teams/players/horses/whatever around at the same time are very, very slim. 

Interesting view. Not sure I get that. 

How does one explain the championship which is often very tight (though not quite as tight at the

top this year)? Is that league shite as well?

7 hours ago, Andy b said:

Interesting view. Not sure I get that. 

How does one explain the championship which is often very tight (though not quite as tight at the

top this year)? Is that league shite as well?

Ask West Brom and Fulham... 😁 

13 hours ago, Andy b said:

Garbage compared to what? Is tier 4 worse now than it used to be? Is there a history of teams going from tier 4 to 3 and going straight back down? On what measure is it garbage?

I here this a lot. I don’t really understand the point being made

Av points per game is well down vs previous years and as per the norm. U would usually see top sides at 2 points per game or more suggesting there are no dominent teams. Hence Newport getting beat at home by Southend. It’s a poor league and 10 points in a league like that when u can beat anyone home and away means 10 points is nothing to make up 

2 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Av points per game is well down vs previous years and as per the norm. U would usually see top sides at 2 points per game or more suggesting there are no dominent teams. Hence Newport getting beat at home by Southend. It’s a poor league and 10 points in a league like that when u can beat anyone home and away means 10 points is nothing to make up 

The impact of Covid?

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

The impact of Covid?

Maybe but as per previous comment the teams are poor. Top have lost 8 games already from 28. 1 in 3. It should be easier to make up 10 point gap in this league vs league 1, championship. It’s def achievable aim for us or anyone around us at mo if you can go on a bit of a run 

27 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Maybe but as per previous comment the teams are poor. Top have lost 8 games already from 28. 1 in 3. It should be easier to make up 10 point gap in this league vs league 1, championship. It’s def achievable aim for us or anyone around us at mo if you can go on a bit of a run 

It would be had we strengthened the Defence significantly in January. This team concedes too many preventable goals to mount a late charge for promotion.

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

If nobody has managed to go on such a run yet it seems pretty unlikely that anybody will do so now. Not sure that makes it a shite league though, more a very competitive one.

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If nobody has managed to go on such a run yet it seems pretty unlikely that anybody will do so now. Not sure that makes it a shite league though, more a very competitive one.

A competitive league is one with lots of teams of similar ability. 

I always find it abit of a strange one when people talk about the overall strength of the league I don't think it's ever really changed that much from one year to the next. Alright some years you get a team maybe a couple of teams that run away with promotion. But I wouldn't say its been a deciding factor in our own teams performance over the years.

Regardless of who is in the league I do believe that we should be aiming at the top 7 pretty much every season though in league 2 in higher leagues that's a different story but at this level that's what our club should be aiming at.

7 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The mere fact there are no outstanding teams this season make promotion a lot easier than usual.

I don't expect it will concern us but it's definitely a missed opportunity. With a modicum of prudent planning and common sense oversight we should have expected a playoff place at least.

In a nutshell 👍

8 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I couldn't give a flying fuck whether it's a competitive league, a shite league, or both.

I just want my team to be out of it and much higher up the "pyramid".

That's all.

We've been living in denial for that long, what we crave might never happen

57 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

At any level of the football pyramid, the team that has the best players and performs consistently will win the league. 

And teams that that hit a consistent run of form can do well in such a close division. 

The first 'and' in there is the crucial word. Many instances of consistency not gaining success and probably even more of the best players not winning. 

7 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

I always thought Leagues 1 and 2 were of a pretty similar standard. Until we ended up in League 2, which has convinced me otherwise. 

Most teams in this league really aren't very good at all (and I include ourselves in that). 

Pete Wild has says L2 and the National League are pretty similar, but there is a gap to L1, where you get some big teams dropping out of the Championship.

Archived