Good outcome for this season?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, al_bro said:

Pete Wild has says L2 and the National League are pretty similar, but there is a gap to L1, where you get some big teams dropping out of the Championship.

Pete Wild is correct. Teams like yeovil, stevenage, rushden and some others l cant be arsed to remember doin double promotions fits within the theory.

16 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I can't agree with this. I saw quite a few Conference games last season and, for me, the difference between that and L2 is staggering...

But then until three years ago I watched a lot of conf South and although the overall games weren't great there were many players who were much better than L2. Just from my local side three made it to PL level, several more to Championship and loads to L1/2

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

But then until three years ago I watched a lot of conf South and although the overall games weren't great there were many players who were much better than L2. Just from my local side three made it to PL level, several more to Championship and loads to L1/2

He's just pretending he isn't actually Pete Wild to throw us off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, JoeP said:

Been ploughing through the brilliant Quickly Kevin podcasts about 90s football.  A few of them refer (mockingly..) to documentaries about lower league clubs at the time.  Watched these two about Chester and Doncaster.  While their stories aren't identical to ours, there's a lot of concerning similarities:

They Think It's All Rovers - YouTube

Chester City: An American Dream documentary (2000) - YouTube

I am also currently binge listening to this podcast. It's brilliant, hilarious and reminds me of how great the nineties were.

A good outcome for me this season would be 

ON THE PITCH 

(1) Th club achieving a higher league position than the previous season for the first time in years

(2) The club winning more games than losing

(3) The club tying up Bahamboula on a contract for 2021/22 and beyond with a realistic minimum fee release clause (say £750,000) 

(4) The club not sacking Harry Kewell this season and letting him continue coaching the team without significant adverse interference 

OFF THE PITCH

(1) The club to come to an agreement to have the North Stand and its facilities pretty much fully operational and available to supporters for use in 2021/22

(2) The club to continue improvement of its image within the community (* looks like significant progress from what I can see) 

(3) The club to build a solid foundation from which it can build a stable sustainable club in the future and one that can have the right building blocks in place to develop and nurture its younger players so that they can once again start to form a significant portion of the first team squad and attract envious eyes from elsewhere in football

I do not believe the above is too much to ask - possible On the pitch number 2 may be a bit of a stretch. 

I believe this would represent a good outcome for the club this season   

8 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

ON THE PITCH 

(1) Th club achieving a higher league position than the previous season for the first time in years

(3) The club tying up Bahamboula on a contract for 2021/22 and beyond with a realistic minimum fee release clause (say £750,000) 

(4) The club not sacking Harry Kewell this season and letting him continue coaching the team without significant adverse interference 

OFF THE PITCH

(1) The club to come to an agreement to have the North Stand and its facilities pretty much fully operational and available to supporters for use in 2021/22

(2) The club to continue improvement of its image within the community (* looks like significant progress from what I can see) 

(3) The club to build a solid foundation from which it can build a stable sustainable club in the future and one that can have the right building blocks in place to develop and nurture its younger players so that they can once again start to form a significant portion of the first team squad and attract envious eyes from elsewhere in football

I do not believe the above is too much to ask - possible On the pitch number 2 may be a bit of a stretch. 

Well said that man, although going off age, ability and future prospects

I'd stick a million on Bam and that'd be seen as good value these days 

On 2/28/2021 at 10:15 PM, unsworth blue said:

ON THE PITCH 

OFF THE PITCH

Well my desired outcome for the season ON The pitch has not lasted until the end of the season, fuck sake here we go again 

On 2/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

As the lack of any meaningful activity yesterday would suggest that promotion is not a realistic objective for this season, what would you now regard as a good outcome for this campaign? Personally, I'd now be relatively happy with a top half finish (above Bolton and, even better, Salford), HK having been the first Latics manager to have lasted an entire season since Herbert Bamlett (= a bit of consistency at last) and some kind of honest statement of intent on how we're going to try to get out of this division next season. Realistically, I know I might have to settle for just one or two of those.

When I started this thread at the start of last month my ambitions were fairly unambitious, but I felt they, at least some of them, were realistic. I'd have settled for just keeping HK in place for the whole season, just to build some kind of consistency - I suppose his home form in the end made his position untenable, but his away form proved he must have been doing something right, i.e. that there was something to work with. This is all so demoralising ☹️

Archived