MATCH: vs Scunthorpe United (A) 06/02/21 Postponed

• Matt featured this topic
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of big decisions for Harry Kewell this weekend.

He has seven loanees and can only include five in the match day squad. Lawlor, Clarke and Hilssner should start while McAlmont put in very good second half performances against Salford. Grant is our only central striker. And then there’s Tasdemir... oh and Garrity.

Surely this has to be the game that Piergianni comes off the naughty step?  Jombati just doesn’t look comfortable at centre back and Jameson is still learning how to play in League 2.

Up front neither Dearnley nor Blackwood are fit. As for our nearly midfielders, Ntambwe, Diarra, Whelan have slipped down an ever changing pecking order leaving only Badan as a potential starter.

Whatever the starting eleven and substitutes I am certain that our very own tinker man will continue with his rotation policy. 

31 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He has seven loanees and can only include five in the match day squad. Lawlor, Clarke and Hilssner should start while McAlmont put in very good second half performances against Salford. Grant is our only central striker. And then there’s Tasdemir... oh and Garrity.

Surely this has to be the game that Piergianni comes off the naughty step?  Jombati just doesn’t look comfortable at centre back and Jameson is still learning how to play in League 2.

Up front neither Dearnley nor Blackwood are fit. As for our nearly midfielders, Ntambwe, Diarra, Whelan have slipped down an ever changing pecking order leaving only Badan as a potential starter.

Whatever the starting eleven and substitutes I am certain that our very own tinker man will continue with his rotation policy. 

It has to be one of the most complicated selection processes in football.

McCalmont and Garrity probably won't play in the same midfield again, it'll have to be either/or.  Lawlor from what I've seen in better than Bilboe but there might come a point where it's worth dropping Lawlor to get an extra loan player in.  Clarke and Hilßner should start on merit, Grant almost has to play because the only other fit option up front is Luamba.  So Tasdemir is going to be restricted from playing before he's even begun!

This is where some of the players on permanent contracts need to step up and show they are worth their place on merit.

Probably more tinkering fuckwittery from Mr Kewell but it's all we've got. I am punting for a draw at best, as Scunny's form is on the up and Latics' away form appears to be dipping. More square pegs and round holes? More than likely.

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Probably more tinkering fuckwittery from Mr Kewell but it's all we've got. I am punting for a draw at best, as Scunny's form is on the up and Latics' away form appears to be dipping. More square pegs and round holes? More than likely.

From The Oldham Times:

Rotation is a clear policy of Harry Kewell and it’s something Keillor-Dunn takes no issue with, the boss having made his intentions known at the start of the season.

“He’s told us from minute one that he’s going to rotate and it’s going to be healthy competition,” Keillor-Dunn told The Oldham Times.

“All the boys have taken to it really well and you’ve just got to be ready when your chance comes.

“Never get negative, never get your head down and just keep going and be ready for your chance.

😎

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

isnt Diarra a CB and Badan a LB?

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

FTFY...

😄 fair enough!

McCalmont has much more potential but isn't consistent enough yet to be undroppable.  Garrity is useful in the odd game when we need a runner.  Off the top of my head Walsall away suited Garrity much better than McCalmont.

53 minutes ago, League one forever said:

A rotation policy is fine when it’s about possible fatigue/over playing youngsters/coming back injury. 

It’s not fine when players have a decent game, and then find the next week their not playing because it’s there go to sit on the bench. 

Totally agree.  Also, how can partnerships develop if you're changing centre backs or midfielders every game?  Has anyone used this tactic and had success?

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Totally agree.  Also, how can partnerships develop if you're changing centre backs or midfielders every game?  Has anyone used this tactic and had success?

Exactly, I can’t for the life me understand why he would think constantly changing partnerships is a good thing - especially at our level. It’s bizarre. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I wonder why big Joe rarely tinkered during something like a 60 game season?

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I wonder why big Joe rarely tinkered during something like a 60 game season?

Obvious answer is football is different now, but saying that I'm sure I read that Liverpool used very few players last season.  It's just logical, rotation can be useful to avoid fatigue but not 5 or 6 changes every game just for the sake of it.  That makes no sense to me.

4 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Never change a winning team and if he goes with the same Saturday, we'll see off scunthorpe

Does anyone know if he's ever kept the same side for two consecutive games since being here? I'm guessing he hasn't, which would be a remarkable stat.

Archived