MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So so so frustrating 😞😞 We could've been top half tonight, but instead we're back to sodding 17th yet again. We're never going to escape this perpetual game of snakes and ladders until we sort that appalling "defence' out and HK and the rest of the management committee learn the value of a settled side. For the first time in years we've got a team full of goals and yet, once again, we're set to finish..... sodding 17th ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

HK says teams who go up score plenty of goals, but I'm fairly sure they don't by conceding 100 goals as we look to do.

Made himself look a right plonker with that result hasn't he. We score three goals and lose the game thanks to his gung-ho approach of 'We'll score more than you'. Fix the defence and stop giving them two goals start and we might be a half-decent side with a chance of getting out of this division.

23 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Excluding Clarke. Every single defender we’ve got is shit - including Wheater. Who played every game in the second worst defensive record in the division last season. 

It’s obvious where our budget went in the summer. Add into that HK tactics, and it’s no surprise why we concede so many. 

I agree with the Wheater comment. He's suddenly turned into Baresi since being cast out, but he was shite for the majority of last season. He'd still improve this defence mind, but then again I think i probably would too

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

They are never together as a unit. Most coaches don't chop and change their back 4 every match.

Agreed, although I look at the unit more from a defence and midfield point of view.  I really like the way our midfield tonight played going forward but they offer zero protection for an already sub-standard defence.

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Agreed, although I look at the unit more from a defence and midfield point of view.  I really like the way our midfield tonight played going forward but they offer zero protection for an already sub-standard defence.

But we played with 2 holding midfielders.

7 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Because it was transfer window and there are playing Football Manager

”we don’t need a midfielder but oh look a midfielder is available”

shambles 

Smacks of agents hustling.

Positives:

Good going forward and with a little more luck/composure could have scored 5 or 6.

McAleny and MaCalmont had good games. 
Heads never dropped.

Nice cameo from Barnes. 

Negatives:

Lawlor’s decision making and determination to come for the ball was extremely poor

The defence in general was just didn’t deal with crosses into the box

Piergianni hitting the post at the death - how did he miss?

The referee

One other thought:

Kewell having to rotate 7 loanees is going to cause more problems. We’d be better off sending two back to their parent clubs.

Whether Wheater would improve the team or not isn’t the main issue, it’s that he’s here but he’s not an option for Kewell. Same goes for Clarke, here but not an option tonight because we have too many loans. It’s absolute madness. 

Long and rambling post alert!  🤪

There were individual mistakes tonight, Bahamboula for the first, Lawlor for the second (mistake is being kind), and combined mistakes like Jombati for making it even easier than it already was for the 3rd, Badan for letting goals 3 and 4 come in from his side way too easily and Jombati and Piergianni for the 4th by giving Davison so much space in between them.

But I'm going to look at it on two broader levels.  Firstly, as I've said in a post above, the midfield is set up to attack but not defend and we get what we deserve for it.  Personally I found it really good to watch the way we moved the ball around, we've got individual quality in attack but what's better is that we look even more dangerous as a team with the link up play (see the 3rd goal).  However as fluid as we are going forward we are even more fluid defensively and have been all season.  Kewell, the midfielders and of course the defenders and keeper need to be more responsible if they genuinely think we can challenge at the top of the league.

Secondly, looking at it in an even broader way, I'd go as far as saying that the way we defend on the pitch is in line with the way conduct ourselves as a club.  We don't do things properly around here (see the sporting director, the way we recruit and the way we produce financial information at board level) which means that we fall into the obvious traps that any successful club at this level would never do.  The most ill-disciplined defence in the league matches probably the least professionally ran club in the EFL.

With all this in mind, I believe the notion that our club in it's current state is able to challenge for promotion is laughable.  And that's why as bad as the defence is, I can't get too angry about it because it's pretty much in line with the standard I expect from the club at present. 

Luckily this is the most enjoyable attacking Latics team that I've seen in years and Kewell has definitely coached the team in a way that they really can click when attacking.  I genuinely can't remember the last manager who did this for most of the season, maybe Shez in 07, Wellens did for a brief period in the relegation season.  He's done it with cast-offs and gambles and it's impressive.  In an incredibly shitty year or more, it's a very welcome surprise and it takes the edge off things a little bit.

57 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

But we played with 2 holding midfielders.

Sorry I can't agree with that, Hilßner was the closest thing we had to a holding midfielder and even he was much more advanced in the 2nd half.  McCalmont, Bahamboula, DKD and to a lesser extent Tasdemir all drifted wide and got involved centrally at different times.  That fluidity is and was great for attacking, but terrible for defending and it showed.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

There were individual mistakes tonight, Bahamboula for the first, Lawlor for the second (mistake is being kind), and combined mistakes like Jombati for making it even easier than it already was for the 3rd, Badan for letting goals 3 and 4 come in from his side way too easily and Jombati and Piergianni for the 4th by giving Davison so much space in between them.

But I'm going to look at it on two broader levels.  Firstly, as I've said in a post above, the midfield is set up to attack but not defend and we get what we deserve for it.  Personally I found it really good to watch the way we moved the ball around, we've got individual quality in attack but what's better is that we look even more dangerous as a team with the link up play (see the 3rd goal).  However as fluid as we are going forward we are even more fluid defensively and have been all season.  Kewell, the midfielders and of course the defenders and keeper need to be more responsible if they genuinely think we can challenge at the top of the league.

Secondly, looking at it in an even broader way, I'd go as far as saying that the way we defend on the pitch is in line with the way conduct ourselves as a club.  We don't do things properly around here (see the sporting director, the way we recruit and the way we produce financial information at board level) which means that we fall into the obvious traps that any successful club at this level would never do.  The most ill-disciplined defence in the league matches probably the least professionally ran club in the EFL.

With all this in mind, I believe the notion that our club in it's current state is able to challenge for promotion is laughable.  And that's why as bad as the defence is, I can't get too angry about it because it's pretty much in line with the standard I expect from the club at present. 

Luckily this is the most enjoyable attacking Latics team that I've seen in years and Kewell has definitely coached the team in a way that they really can click when attacking.  I genuinely can't remember the last manager who did this for most of the season, maybe Shez in 07, Wellens did for a brief period in the relegation season.  He's done it with cast-offs and gambles and it's impressive.  In an incredibly shitty year or more, it's a very welcome surprise and it takes the edge off things a little bit.

I agree with much of what you say. Given that Harry has managed to make them click as an attacking unit, but certainly not as a defensive one, I wonder if there would be an argument to bring in some sort of defensive coach to try to sort them out?

2 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Sorry I can't agree with that, Hilßner was the closest thing we had to a holding midfielder and even he was much more advanced in the 2nd half.  McCalmont, Bahamboula, DKD and to a lesser extent Tasdemir all drifted wide and got involved centrally at different times.  That fluidity is and was great for attacking, but terrible for defending and it showed.

Dies anyone know why was Bahamboula was subbed for a player way off the pace? 

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Spot on. Goals we gave were unforgivable, but the first really highlights your point. 

Our wingers also offer zero defensive protection which is another factor amongst many as to why we concede so many. 

11 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Had a chance in the transfer window to bring in a decent centre back, but chose a midfielder who will hardly get a game.

1 minute ago, Gary1906 said:

I agree with much of what you say. Given that Harry has managed to make them click as an attacking unit, but certainly not as a defensive one, I wonder if there would be an argument to bring in some sort of defensive coach to try to sort them out?

That's a great point.  You would hope that Maybury would be able to offer that kind of expertise.  But to be fair to him, the way Kewell sets us up makes it difficult for defensive advice to be that effective.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Dies anyone know why was Bahamboula was subbed for a player way off the pace? 

He was very subdued tonight and was playing a lot deeper than usual. That’s two away games against FGR where he’s looked really poor and off the pace!

Archived