MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He was very subdued tonight and was playing a lot deeper than usual. That’s two away games against FGR where he’s looked really poor and off the pace!

He should have been switched wide not subbed for a player way off the pace 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bahamboula doesn't normally last much longer than 60 minutes , we have a lot of games coming up 2 a week . Which is probably why he rotated some players tonight . Some people are stuck in the past with pick you're strongest eleven. Doesn't work these days for a ton of reasons in todays game.

8 hours ago, Handsy said:

I’d get rid of every one of our centre half’s  jombati shouldn’t wear the shirt again and capt fantastic comes back and we let four in. He just knocks the ball long to one of theirs every time or takes an age to pass to the left back

Yeah lm sick of him now and specifically the aimless long punts, don't want to see him in the team again.

By the way lads, you can't just send loanees back cos you feel like it, all parties have to agree.

Oh and Wheater hasn't played for a year and no other club has shown an interest in him across two transfer windows in that time, doesn't sound like much of a messiah to me.

30 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

By the way lads, you can't just send loanees back cos you feel like it, all parties have to agree.

Oh and Wheater hasn't played for a year and no other club has shown an interest in him across two transfer windows in that time, doesn't sound like much of a messiah to me.

He's been a very naughty boy. Allegedly 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Choose two that you no longer feel are up to it. Tell them and their club that unfortunately they will not get any game time for the rest of the season. All parties agree to curtail the loan. 👍

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Rubbish. No we didn't.

That is their role in the team. They are the best we have, but neither closes down opposition satisfactorily, or puts many decent tackles in.

We have enough forwards to create and score goals, it's the defensive side of the game that needs tightening up and that includes the midfield.

But if your are happy we concede 3 and 4 goals a match and languish in 17th  place with the system I'll leave you to it to your obviously  better observations.

Pretty disgusted at the amount of goals we concede. It was clear to see we needed a centre half in the Jan transfer window and he went and signed another winger - and I am laying the blame for this at Kewell's door as I believe he said in the Trust interview he makes the decisions to sign players...?

9 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

I agree with much of what you say. Given that Harry has managed to make them click as an attacking unit, but certainly not as a defensive one, I wonder if there would be an argument to bring in some sort of defensive coach to try to sort them out?

But that unfortunately is a highly sensible idea and the kind of thing a well-run professional club (no dig at HK here) would do. See @the_mighty_bosh's post above.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Based on one 30 minute appearance? OK den.

I reckon he has a point. He could be a really good player, but it is a waste of a loan signing when we don't need another winger and we had to leave our most consistent centre half this season out of the squad to accommodate him...

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

But that unfortunately is a highly sensible idea and the kind of thing a well-run professional club (no dig at HK here) would do. See @the_mighty_bosh's post above.

And what's the goalkeeping coach doing? If anything Lawler's performances are getting worse match by match.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

One of a number of 'glorious blunders' under our current regime is the 'Wheater fiasco'

Some genius signs him on a contract for allegedly in excess of £200k a year and he sits at home on game days for the last 12 months of it

Thankfully only 19 games left and its highly unlikely we'll be dragged into the trapdoor places into non league football with the amount of goals we score against even the top teams in this league

I'll be glad when Wheater has left the club and just hope the regime has the good sense to reinvest his wages into getting at least of couple of centre backs and a goalkeeper

The best season ticket offer we have seen at the club since like forever, is in danger of falling flat if we cant string a good run of wins together, especially at Boundary Park

Oh, and can someone let our keeper know that its only penalties that he has to stay on his goal line for !1

That’s as poor a goalkeeping performance as you’re likely to see!! I’ve watched their 2nd goal over and over and still can’t fathom out how Lawlor has managed to let that in! Weak as piss!!.....He could have saved it without leaving the deck...he’s 6’4” FFS!

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You keep saying this but it's not true.  He didn't play every game, he missed 3 of 37 league games.  We conceded 57 in the league in total, but 51 in the 34 games Wheater was involved in (1.5 goals per game with him, 2 goals per game without him).  And in the games he played, if you exclude goals conceded when he wasn't on the pitch or when we were down to 9 men, then that drops to 42 (1.24).  Bear in mind that the first half of the season he was alongside Iacovitti too.  Wheater alongside Clarke now wouldn't improve the defence?  Don't buy that.

I'm not saying he'd be the difference between 17th and promotion, who knows and it is a pointless argument anyway as he won't play for us again. But it's an absolute disgrace the situation with our defence hasn't been resolved.  Disgrace that AL/Mo haven't negotiated a solution - either a route back to him being available for selection, or negotiated him out of the club in January.  Disgrace that Kewell is not beating down Mo's door to demand he be available or a replacement found in January.  Disgrace that we're having to leave out one of our better (if not best) defenders because we've signed too many on loan.  I'm sure Wheater isn't totally blameless in all this, but the responsibility falls on the club to sort the squad out.

We have some really good attacking players to watch who are comfortable attacking at speed and running at defences with the ball.  But it's totally wasted by the shocking state of our defence.  Was furious watching that last night, especially after listening to Kewell dismiss any concerns over the defence in the Trust interview.

Fantastic post...

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Disgrace that we're having to leave out one of our better (if not best) defenders because we've signed too many on loan. 

I'd love to know how this works.  I'd guess some clubs that have loaned us players probably aren't bothered if they play or not; Grant would be an obvious one as I can't see it's of any relevance to Wrexham.

With others however I'm sure that their parent clubs want them to play so that they can develop, either for a chance of first team action when back at their parent club or to be in the shop window.  Clarke is the most obvious example of that scenario. 

At the moment they just seem to be taking turns, and that's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd love to know how this works.  I'd guess some clubs that have loaned us players probably aren't bothered if they play or not; Grant would be an obvious one as I can't see it's of any relevance to Wrexham.

With others however I'm sure that their parent clubs want them to play so that they can develop, either for a chance of first team action when back at their parent club or to be in the shop window.  Clarke is the most obvious example of that scenario. 

At the moment they just seem to be taking turns, and that's ridiculous.

Mikey and Roy very lightly touched on it yesterday- think their words were "we tried to sort something out with the loans"- but the club wanted to take over Grant's contract on deadline day so he would be a fully fledged OAFC player. Not sure why it didn't happen...

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Mikey and Roy very lightly touched on it yesterday- think their words were "we tried to sort something out with the loans"- but the club wanted to take over Grant's contract on deadline day so he would be a fully fledged OAFC player. Not sure why it didn't happen...

Just a bizarre situation to be in.  In all the manifestations of incompetence over the last few years being in this position is right up there.

Just now, nzlatic said:

You keep saying this but it's not true.  He didn't play every game, he missed 3 of 37 league games.  We conceded 57 in the league in total, but 51 in the 34 games Wheater was involved in (1.5 goals per game with him, 2 goals per game without him).  And in the games he played, if you exclude goals conceded when he wasn't on the pitch or when we were down to 9 men, then that drops to 42 (1.24).  Bear in mind that the first half of the season he was alongside Iacovitti too.  Wheater alongside Clarke now wouldn't improve the defence?  Don't buy that.

I'm not saying he'd be the difference between 17th and promotion, who knows and it is a pointless argument anyway as he won't play for us again. But it's an absolute disgrace the situation with our defence hasn't been resolved.  Disgrace that AL/Mo haven't negotiated a solution - either a route back to him being available for selection, or negotiated him out of the club in January.  Disgrace that Kewell is not beating down Mo's door to demand he be available or a replacement found in January.  Disgrace that we're having to leave out one of our better (if not best) defenders because we've signed too many on loan.  I'm sure Wheater isn't totally blameless in all this, but the responsibility falls on the club to sort the squad out.

We have some really good attacking players to watch who are comfortable attacking at speed and running at defences with the ball.  But it's totally wasted by the shocking state of our defence.  Was furious watching that last night, especially after listening to Kewell dismiss any concerns over the defence in the Trust interview.

Sorry, I thought the 3 games he missed were in the cup. 

Still 34 of 37 league games is a good barometer? No? 

The fact is, his record in an Oldham shirt is wank. People keep saying he would improve us. . . without anything to back it up. The argument ‘he would help us to concede 1.5’ instead two goals a game is clutching. He played ‘nearly😉’ every game in the second worst defensive record. You’re always a better player out of the side, and as Branson’s pickle said a few posts back, Wheater has suddenly become baresi. It’s comical. 

You’re general point about the state of the defence etc, of course I agree with. 

16 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Nail. Head.

Archived