MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

21 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We were second favourites for relegation pre season, I don’t think anybody of sane mind was thinking we'd be anywhere near the top.

Bad trolling this, Rob. Look at the teams up near the top. You know as well as anybody that we should be higher. The CEO himself has said we have a squad for the top 10...

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

Just watched the highlights (bad terminology) again, Bamhamboula at fault for the first one by just letting Cargill walk behind him. Lawlor 100% for the second. Lawlor for the third, not commanding his area and not helped by Jambutties inability to jump. Pidge and Jambutty responsible for the fourth, just a simple ball in between them, schoolboy defending.

It needs sorting quick, if supporters can see it and management at all levels can't it's a bad day. Get a grip someone, I'd keep Bamhamboula and coach him to track back but the other three would be dog food. 

Badan twice failed to close down the winger and stop crosses, this is one problem that definately should be resolved.

1 hour ago, otid said:

We have at best a mid table squad. The only way such a squad can challenge for a play off spot is with a motivational type manager/head coch who can wring out a collective effort greater than the sum of the parts. We don't have such a manager/head coach.

We had one in Dino.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

We’ll have agree to disagree on this one I think. 

He may make a slight difference, but if it’s about him helping us finishing 13th  instead of 16th then it’s all a bit pointless to me. We want players who will push towards the top 6, and he’s isn’t one of them IMO. 

Do you really feel that any one player would take Oldham all the way from 17 to promotion? I don't think so.

Its about improving the team. 

Simply because the owner and his brother are to proud to back down and play a player who they are already paying, we are a worse team. How much difference that would make is certainly debatable, but small differences in each match can make a big difference at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Do you really feel that any one player would take Oldham all the way from 17 to promotion? I don't think so.

Simply because the owner and his brother are to proud to back down and play a player who they are already paying, we are a worse team. How much difference that would make is certainly debatable, but small differences in each match can make a big difference at the end of the season.

Spot on, this. It's no different to the Dave Brailsford approach in cycling - small, incremental improvements = larger aggregate gain.

A slightly better back four, and a slightly better keeper, playing together consistently, would undoubtedly improve us by more than the sum of the parts. It might even fit with our revered owner's "slowly slowly" philosophy.

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It is all about collective improvement and one man can't guarantee that but an experienced calm defender could eke out the small margin upgrade necessary in our defenders to see us play off bound.

Whether Wheater is that man is open to debate.

It needn't be open to debate.  Thats the point and why we keep talking about Wheater.  Why not allow him to get fit with the senior team and allow the "Head Coach" to pick him if he looks better then what we already have.

Instead because of ALMO, he is training with the youth!!!

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Bad trolling this, Rob. Look at the teams up near the top. You know as well as anybody that we should be higher. The CEO himself has said we have a squad for the top 10...

What are we, 4 points off 10th? If we had an extra 5 points would that mean we were having a good season?

Look we all know we can't defend as a team. We are so lightweight, get bullied both in the middle and at the back and have a tacically inept manager when it comes down to defending.

Wheater may have made us a bit more solid but would we have won many more games? Probably not.

I have however enjoyed watching us vastly more this season than last, even if it's most of the time from behind my hands covering my eyes!

We are what we are with the clowns in charge I'm afraid and frustrating as it is I'll be happy if the club comes out the other end of covid in tact.

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

It needn't be open to debate.  Thats the point and why we keep talking about Wheater.  Why not allow him to get fit with the senior team and allow the "Head Coach" to pick him if he looks better then what we already have.

Except we all know that's not going to happen.

What I fail to comprehend is why a supposed businessman would waste a fairly large amount of their payroll budget to save losing face or prove a point.

Any owner moving into a new business looks for ways to save wasted money, which is an easy fix.

What they'd make of the Wheater situation I can't imagine.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

That’s a fair point. It would be good to at least have a look. 

However, do you think based on his previous 34 performances he will improve us to any great extent- I don’t. People are guessing and assuming he’ll suddenly turn into a player that he has hasn’t shown in his Oldham career. 

By comparison. If this was Peter Clarke we were talking about, he would almost guarantee we’d mprove. Even now, at 59 or whatever he is. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Except we all know that's not going to happen.

What I fail to comprehend is why a supposed businessman would waste a fairly large amount of their payroll budget to save losing face or prove a point.

Any owner moving into a new business looks for ways to save wasted money, which is an easy fix.

What they'd make of the Wheater situation I can't imagine.

Aye. 

But then the owners love to cut their nose off to spite their face

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

I take your point, but I disagree. 

Would Peter Clarke make a difference to this side? 

Do Liverpool miss Van Dijk? 

Sides need leaders. We haven’t got one, and leaders aren’t a small gain. They’re difference between mid table and top 6.  As our top earner and ‘leader’ he has been incredibly poor thus far. 

I've been one of the biggest critics of DKD, but last night he didn't put a foot wrong. He didn't give the ball away once. Lawlor needs dropping after that display and how Jombati keeps his place after the way he played against Salford is unbelievable. Tasdemir did nothing when he came on.

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

the football magazine Four Four Two preseason predicted us to finish 21st 

We’ll be nearer to 21st than the top7 

24 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I've been one of the biggest critics of DKD, but last night he didn't put a foot wrong. He didn't give the ball away once. Lawlor needs dropping after that display and how Jombati keeps his place after the way he played against Salford is unbelievable. Tasdemir did nothing when he came on.

Agreed, credit where it's due, its obvious he's worked very hard to improve his game. If only some others would do the same.

12 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

A snippet from HK’s post-game: “The players have to know that there's more to football than scoring goals”.

That statement has to apply to Harry and his coaching staff too....

we are way over half way through the season and the defensive weaknesses  highlighted early doors have continued and if anything have gotten a whole lot worse!

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

We had one in Dino.

We got up to 14th for one week, and otherwise never got above 17th.

We played the worst football I've ever seen Latics play. Negative, disorganised, cowardly, one-dimensional.

Most inexcusable was the number of matches Dino didn't even try to win. 

Setting us up for a point at home against Stevenage and Macclesfield was a disgrace to this club's history.  

There are a lot of faults about Kewell as a manager, but you can never say he doesn't send the team out to attack and try and win matches.

Then what about Dino turning on and abusing his own fans?  Or throwing 15 year olds into games before they were ready?  Or the ridiculous set piece routines, making us the only team to regularly concede from our own kick offs?

He was a failure in every job he had bar Northwich Victoria, and was an unmitigated disaster for our club.

8 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We got up to 14th for one week, and otherwise never got above 17th.

We played the worst football I've ever seen Latics play. Negative, disorganised, cowardly, one-dimensional.

Most inexcusable was the number of matches Dino didn't even try to win. 

Setting us up for a point at home against Stevenage and Macclesfield was a disgrace to this club's history.  

There are a lot of faults about Kewell as a manager, but you can never say he doesn't send the team out to attack and try and win matches.

Then what about Dino turning on and abusing his own fans?  Or throwing 15 year olds into games before they were ready?  Or the ridiculous set piece routines, making us the only team to regularly concede from our own kick offs?

He was a failure in every job he had bar Northwich Victoria, and was an unmitigated disaster for our club.

I wasn't too keen on him either.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

I take your point, but I disagree. 

Would Peter Clarke make a difference to this side? 

Do Liverpool miss Van Dijk? 

Sides need leaders. We haven’t got one, and leaders aren’t a small gain. They’re difference between mid table and top 6.  As our top earner and ‘leader’ he has been incredibly poor thus far. 

Spot on

Even young George would be the master of the current crop

Archived