MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to Kewell...

”We attack as a team we defend as a team and I won’t have anyone say any different”

hmmm not happy at being called out for having a shit defence Harry?

”blaming this one blaming that one yeah we have to better on the defensive side of the game”

it’s almost like we haven’t just had a transfer window screaming out for a centre back and we brought in a midfielder.... 

36 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Just listened to Kewell...

”We attack as a team we defend as a team and I won’t have anyone say any different”

hmmm not happy at being called out for having a shit defence Harry?

”blaming this one blaming that one yeah we have to better on the defensive side of the game”

it’s almost like we haven’t just had a transfer window screaming out for a centre back and we brought in a midfielder.... 

Or he did recent interview saying, ‘everyone concedes goals at this level.’ 

Followed up with. 

If I could sign one more player if it would have to a be striker, you can never have enough’ 

While being entertainingly shit is a nice change. . .We’re still shit. 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

And Karl is deluded if he thinks our squad is top ten, I’d wager our budget is nowhere near the top ten. 

Budgets don't mean too much at this level if you have most of the basics right. 

Well run club

Decent coaching staff

Team spirit

Good owners. 

Managerial stability

Look at Accy the division above us, I would wager they have the lowest budget in the division. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Budgets don't mean too much at this level if you have most of the basics right. 

Well run club

Decent coaching staff

Team spirit

Good owners. 

Managerial stability

Look at Accy the division above us, I would wager they have the lowest budget in the division. 

Of course. They all contribute, and you will have the odd club that exceeds their budget with the above in place. 

However 8/9 times out of ten you finish roughly where your budget is. 

13 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Honestly though, Kewell's faults don't make Maamria's record better.

He's down there with Kelly and Dunn in our worst of all time.  

I'd definitely put Robinson in there too.  Granted he had 5 contracted players when he got here, but 12 goals in 24 league games (16 of those were scoreless) is right down there with the worst.

32 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd definitely put Robinson in there too.  Granted he had 5 contracted players when he got here, but 12 goals in 24 league games (16 of those were scoreless) is right down there with the worst.

But like so many of our apparently crap players he did pretty well elsewhere for a good while after he left.  

Post about Wheater using those statistics I just can't get on board with. Comparing 3 games to 37 isn't possible and then bending those stats to include games where Wheater played but we conceded when he wasn't on the pitch to make his stats seem better is hilarious. Are those games ones where he was an absolute idiot and got himself sent off? Wheater was shite, nowhere near what everyone hoped and now he isn't playing all those who were saying the same have him down as the saviour. Better than Jombatti? Yes. Not by much. 

Then BP pops up with Dino being a motivational head coach. Jesus wept. Hates a clipboard but loves a man who waves his arms around despite the fact it was some of the worst football anyone has witnessed.

I'd take the FGR game and us being an attacking side over any one of his performances or anything bar a few games we've seen over the last 8 years.

People here would rather watch a tedious 1-0 defeat with the manager waving his arms about than a 7 goal thriller like FGR.

I'd rather us go Kevin Keegan style all out attack than watch us sit back and try and nick a 1-0 and end up drawing or losing with about 1 shot on goal 

28 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Post about Wheater using those statistics I just can't get on board with. Comparing 3 games to 37 isn't possible and then bending those stats to include games where Wheater played but we conceded when he wasn't on the pitch to make his stats seem better is hilarious. Are those games ones where he was an absolute idiot and got himself sent off? Wheater was shite, nowhere near what everyone hoped and now he isn't playing all those who were saying the same have him down as the saviour. Better than Jombatti? Yes. Not by much. 

Then BP pops up with Dino being a motivational head coach. Jesus wept. Hates a clipboard but loves a man who waves his arms around despite the fact it was some of the worst football anyone has witnessed.

I'd take the FGR game and us being an attacking side over any one of his performances or anything bar a few games we've seen over the last 8 years.

People here would rather watch a tedious 1-0 defeat with the manager waving his arms about than a 7 goal thriller like FGR.

I'd rather us go Kevin Keegan style all out attack than watch us sit back and try and nick a 1-0 and end up drawing or losing with about 1 shot on goal 

Am with you on this :applause1:

37 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

It's not a binary choice. 

39 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Can’t argue with any of that apart from I don’t think Wheater would be a saviour but it would be nice to be able to judge on seeing him.

And my gran is better than Jombatti (not by much) I’d still play her first. Slightly better than shit is better than just shit

fantastic post though especially on Dino the good dinosaur 

23 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Can’t argue with any of that apart from I don’t think Wheater would be a saviour but it would be nice to be able to judge on seeing him.

And my gran is better than Jombatti (not by much) I’d still play her first. Slightly better than shit is better than just shit

fantastic post though especially on Dino the good dinosaur 

We have seen him though. I didn't rate him. Maybe because I was always comparing him to PC.

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'd take the football under Kewell over Dino's everyday of the week. It hasn't been a brilliant season performance wise but it's been a million times more entertaining than last season 

You didn't think the Newport win entertaining?

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'd take the football under Kewell over Dino's everyday of the week. It hasn't been a brilliant season performance wise but it's been a million times more entertaining than last season 

Correct...it has, but only away games. 
The home displays have been just about as bad as I’ve ever seen!

It would be brilliant if we could build on it, sort out the CB situation next season and crack on but you just know we’ll be almost starting from scratch yet again!!

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

Of course. They all contribute, and you will have the odd club that exceeds their budget with the above in place. 

However 8/9 times out of ten you finish roughly where your budget is. 

I don't subscribe to 'the clubs with the biggest budget will finish higher than clubs with a low budget' thinking especially in League 2 

A healthy team spirit throughout the squad beats a few 'highly paid journeymen' all day long

I don't believe anyone plays for an owner or a board, players turn out committed performances for their own personal pride, their fellow players, supporters and for a manager that motivates th

We have had some brilliant Away performances this season so we cant be far off the mark regarding team spirit

11 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We have seen him though. I didn't rate him. Maybe because I was always comparing him to PC.

We haven't seen him alongside Harry Clarke. I was disappointed with his contribution but don't confuse not meeting expectations with his actual level of performance. 

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Linked with the Bristol R job

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I really enjoyed reading this post. Don't agree with every word, but opinions are what this website is all about 👍

On Wheater, I think most of us agree that a properly run club would have sorted the situation - maybe not allowed it to develop at all - long ago. But like the North Stand saga, on and on it goes. He is not, by a long way, one of our better players but for a club with our limited resources to have kept his wage on the budget for so long without sorting it out tells you that, in my view, we'll never advance under the clowns who own this club.

Dino as a manager was hopeless. I'm not convinced yet by HK, but I like him and his attacking approach and suspect that with sensible owners behind him he might thrive.

35 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

One... Match....

How about the Mansfield and Bradford games?

I'm pretty indifferent towards Dino.  The style wasn't pretty, he relied on passion and physicality over nous, but I wouldn't put him in the category of our worst managers ever.  The squad he inherited for the most part wasn't good and our attacking options were awful.  He made that squad functional enough to get enough wins and points to be stay away from danger (of course it didn't matter in the end).

He didn't get very long to manage the squad we had from January onwards and if he had I think his record would've had an even amount of wins, draws and losses by the end of the season.  Probably enough to have a crack at this season at any professionally ran club.

On the flip side, whereas I see Kewell having ideas and methods to develop players that could translate to higher levels, I absolutely didn't see that with Dino.  If he had stayed for another season I would predict that he would have had a similar outcome to his full season at Stevenage, upper mid-table with a slim chance of the playoffs but us fans bored and disillusioned with the football on display with no hope of improvement.  Pretty much the Ronnie Moore season but in League Two (how sexy is that thought!).

And I witnessed Cheltenham and Exeter first hand (Cheltenham was worse, it was hopeless) so I know how bad it could be under Dino.

I think we would probably be marginally higher this season if Dino had still been in charge, but not by enough to make it worth it and the chaotic way we set up under Kewell is more enjoyable to watch.

Archived