MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 16/02/21

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

And with due respect nor should it. We are now going to be playing Saturday Tuesdays Saturday Tuesday until April. This is going to be heavy on the legs, playing the same 11 will just see us pick up injuries and get beat.

This season with its compressed fixture list has tested the strength of squads more than ever and I think that's why we have a tighter league as rotation is a necessity.

If we had two good players in each position, no problem.

The fixture congestion is a challenge every club has to cope with.

I defer to the Brian Clough ethos, picking your best team, from available fit players, try to win every game.

Given that our squad is paper thin, mandatory rotation means bringing in weaker players.

Oddly enough, we probably can afford to shuffle the strikers, but I would always play Conor Mac and Zak (if fit).

At this moment, I think we should be throwing everything at each game.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

I defer to the Brian Clough ethos, picking your best team, from available fit players, try to win every game.

Given that our squad is paper thin, mandatory rotation means bringing in weaker players.

Oddly enough, we probably can afford to shuffle the strikers, but I would always play Conor Mac and Zak (if fit).

I agree with this - I’m sorry but in this day an age your job is a professional athlete where you “train” 3-4 hours a day 3 (4 at most) days a week, if you can’t manage 2 90 minutes in that same week go and get a job where you are up at the crack of dawn and doing 40 plus hours a week - it’s pathetic this “we have to work 2 days a week woe is us”

Tennis players play what? 40 odd weeks of the year in matches that last hours doing nearly continuous sprints in scorching temperatures (bar Wimbledon)

Footballers need to get a bloody grip 

14 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I agree with this - I’m sorry but in this day an age your job is a professional athlete where you “train” 3-4 hours a day 3 (4 at most) days a week, if you can’t manage 2 90 minutes in that same week go and get a job where you are up at the crack of dawn and doing 40 plus hours a week - it’s pathetic this “we have to work 2 days a week woe is us”

Tennis players play what? 40 odd weeks of the year in matches that last hours doing nearly continuous sprints in scorching temperatures (bar Wimbledon)

The keeping fir element of sport will take an effect. Even basic running can take a heavy tole on Ur body. Couple that with week in week out hard training and tackles. Think people underestimate the damage that can inflict

7 minutes ago, latics22 said:

The keeping fir element of sport will take an effect. Even basic running can take a heavy tole on Ur body. Couple that with week in week out hard training and tackles. Think people underestimate the damage that can inflict

Footballers cry foul more than any other athlete going including those who do a 5 or 10k run 3 times a week  as “recreation” after 8 hours of normal work 

ive worked at a football club and from what I saw the training was anything but “hard”

They are pathetic and that’s before someone strokes their chest and they fall to the ground clutching their face like a victim of the Somme 

8 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Which pandemic did Brian Clough manage in? If the fixtures were Saturday to Saturday with the odd Tuesday game in then yeah I'd say stick with your strongest 11 but we aren't.

The games changed mate it's a squad game and we need everyone to stay both physically and mentally fresh. Rotation is a necessity in a compressed season like this all clubs are doing it and at the top clubs they have a team of professional fitness people constantly monitoring their condition. I'm on the side of the professionals on this one.

7 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Footballers cry foul more than any other athlete going including those who do a 5 or 10k run 3 times a week  as “recreation” after 8 hours of normal work 

ive worked at a football club and from what I saw the training was anything but “hard”

They are pathetic and that’s before someone strokes their chest and they fall to the ground clutching their face like a victim of the Somme 

How involved were you in the training and if they are so soft and pathetic why aren't you doing it?

9 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

It depends whether you want every player to play every game which, barring serious injuries they can, or whether you want every player to be at their physical best for every game,, which they won't be. 

As a rule not many people hack at your ankles when you go out for a run

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

As a rule not many people hack at your ankles when you go out for a run

True but then there’s the dogs chasing you, having to avoid huge puddles, dog poo, mud slicks, groups of cyclists riding side by side, cars parked on pavements, yummy mummies idly chatting in non socially distanced groups...

and then there’s bin day...😱

Nightmare.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I get what he's saying and compered to rugby player's, footballer's are a right bunch of mollycoddled softies

Apples and orange though isn't it. Different sports require different physical requirements.

Rugby is far more brutal when it comes to the physical contact side of it its a savage sport and rugby players have to deal with that more than the vast majority of sports. However you put an 18s stone prop on a football pitch and hes probably going to be blowing out of his arse after 10 minutes.

Alot of football is about running particularly the sprinting aspect of it that's why forwards have to be rotated because they are the ones doing the most sprints and getting kicked.

Then their is the mental side of it. Getting up and going hard at it for 3 points on a Saturday Tuesday is going to be tough on the players mentally particularly during these times of a pandemic when they are having to deal with everything else. 

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Apples and orange though isn't it. Different sports require different physical requirements.

Rugby is far more brutal when it comes to the physical contact side of it its a savage sport and rugby players have to deal with that more than the vast majority of sports. However you put an 18s stone prop on a football pitch and hes probably going to be blowing out of his arse after 10 minutes.

Alot of football is about running particularly the sprinting aspect of it that's why forwards have to be rotated because they are the ones doing the most sprints and getting kicked.

Then their is the mental side of it. Getting up and going hard at it for 3 points on a Saturday Tuesday is going to be tough on the players mentally particularly during these times of a pandemic when they are having to deal with everything else. 

And the travelling can be tiring playing up to 3 matches a week.   

24 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

And the travelling can be tiring playing up to 3 matches a week.   

Indeed particularly for those of them who might have young families plus some of the foreign lads who are living in a different country and are along way from friends and family.

11 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Remember that time when you had a semi legit argument but then went and ruined it by insinuating that Footballers need to take a leaf out of tennis players books 😂😂

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Remember that time when you had a semi legit argument but then went and ruined it by insinuating that Footballers need to take a leaf out of tennis players books 😂😂

@Chaddyexile84is bang on the money though - the top tennis players often have to play tournaments on successive days and usually at least every other day. Their fitness levels are superb, plus it's an individual not team sport so there's no hiding place. I'm sick of hearing clubs moaning about 2 games per week, particularly in the PL, where in normal times they are quite happy to go on on pre-season tours around the world.

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I get what he's saying and compered to rugby player's, footballer's are a right bunch of mollycoddled softies

The award for the OWTB posters most likely to reproduce the four Yorkshiremen sketch goes to...

Sportsmen at the elite level are conditioned for the demands of their sports. Add to that specific roles within team sports. You wouldn't play Messi at centre half. Backs and forwards in rugby have different requirements of strength and speed. To try and compare a non contact individual sport with a contact team sport is ludicrous.

As for players being soft because they go down holding their face, they're trying to con the referee in order to try and gain an advantage. I hate it, but it's nothing to do with them being soft.

8 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

@Chaddyexile84is bang on the money though - the top tennis players often have to play tournaments on successive days and usually at least every other day. Their fitness levels are superb, plus it's an individual not team sport so there's no hiding place. I'm sick of hearing clubs moaning about 2 games per week, particularly in the PL, where in normal times they are quite happy to go on on pre-season tours around the world.

Or you could argue that they can play multiple matches in a week because it doesn't take as much out of them. I don't see footballers sitting down for a drink and a snack every five minutes.

Top tennis players are superbly conditioned as are top footballers. They play very different sports.

25 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

lm sick of green bananas but theres no point saying sumat about potatoes 

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Which pandemic did Brian Clough manage in? If the fixtures were Saturday to Saturday with the odd Tuesday game in then yeah I'd say stick with your strongest 11 but we aren't.

The games changed mate it's a squad game and we need everyone to stay both physically and mentally fresh. Rotation is a necessity in a compressed season like this all clubs are doing it and at the top clubs they have a team of professional fitness people constantly monitoring their condition. I'm on the side of the professionals on this one.

I dont disagree with your assessment.

If the physio or medical staff say Zak isn't fully fit, dont play him, he is still in my 'best even', given the limitations of our squad.

Rotating the defense is clearly perilous, particularly if you put Jombati anywhere other than right back.

As for comparisons to football of yesteryear, different times of course, but the principle was to train less if you were playing more games.

Not sure if we still gather data on how far players run etc during games, I recall reading we weren't paying the bills for the fancy technology ...

• Matt unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

Not sure if we still gather data on how far players run etc during games...

After a quick search it looks like pro midfielders (who cover more ground than any other player) can run on average about 11km per game.

Difficult to read too much into that as a stat without more data.  A competitive club runner of footballing age would expect to cover that distance well inside 40 minutes, however the midfielders distance would be a combination of sprints, jogging to position and standing around waiting for set pieces etc. I think it would be the proportion of that distance that is at full speed, combined with how long any recovery is between successive sprints and the frequency/ intensity of any knocks etc that would count. A decent fitness/ conditioning coach would be able to work on faster recoveries.

I'm inclined to think HK changes too much too often. Maybe some is to counter specific threats- but given he seems happy to play without a defence I'm not sure about that. There is an argument for some stability- particularly in key partnerships even if one of them is only at 90%.

I'm ok with resting a player to allow a fuller recovery rather than rushing them back carrying a niggle that then persists.

I don't what terms we have with the parent clubs of the loanees but it seems madness that we have to rotate so many.

3 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

The award for the OWTB posters most likely to reproduce the four Yorkshiremen sketch goes to...

Sportsmen at the elite level are conditioned for the demands of their sports. Add to that specific roles within team sports. You wouldn't play Messi at centre half. Backs and forwards in rugby have different requirements of strength and speed. To try and compare a non contact individual sport with a contact team sport is ludicrous.

As for players being soft because they go down holding their face, they're trying to con the referee in order to try and gain an advantage. I hate it, but it's nothing to do with them being soft.

Quite right, in rugby they'd get a right mouthful and one on the nose for cheating 

Archived